4.159 Tips for IEDs

Gibsonm

To save others some testing:

1. I find it far easier to label the IED when you create it. Then when you want to select it again you can just click on the text. Much easier than trying a "hit and miss" (for me anyway) approach to actually click on the IED itself.

2. You can now duplicate IEDs. So its easier than starting from scratch (esp. if you labelled it so it easier (IMHO) to select it and move it.

3. A single IED composed of multiple "ammo", only creates a single crater,  but there is more explosive force in that one crater. If you want to replicate say a stick on bombs landing, you need say four, single round, IEDs, not a single, four round, IED.

• Members

There's a bug however, in that duplicate IEDs fail to carry over the information of their composition. They still have the same strength I believe, it's just that the information if it's composed of, say, two 120mm mortar rounds or five 81mm rounds gets lost. We'll fix that eventually, of course. Just FYI.

No worries.

My key reason for testing was the hope that a single, multi-round, IED would be an easy way to replicate a non PGM air or Arty strike (one IED several craters). It shouldn't though since it represents a bundle of munitions sharing a single detonator.

But during the course of that I found that clicking on the label was far more reliable than trying to click on the gossamer thin symbol (often zooming in to over 40 was still not successful as the symbol's lines don't scale) and then I discovered / rediscovered the "duplicate" option.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Actually, zooming in reduces the tolerance zone for clicking objects. I hope that with a new GUI (one day) we can find a more intelligent solution to have, possibly, dynamic click zone sizes if a mouse hovers near an object for a longer time, or other ways to make it easier to select the one thing that you want, maybe a highlight effect on mouse over. We'll think about this (and other concepts).

How about a solution similar to what Google Earth does with tightly grouped objects? When you hover your mouse over them, the cursor changes and you can click to expand the objects into an "exploded" view. Then, you can easily indicate which object you are intending to select.

selection.gif