Question about elevation bumps in Finnish maps.

Lumituisku

Currently most Finnish maps from areas where there is even a tiny bit of elevation looks like this. These bumps are annoying especially when experienced from vehicle position.

Could one dare to hope to get rid of these "Elevation bumps"  anytime soon?

SS_12_40_01.thumb.jpg.d3356accb79a4c6b9c743aa27469926a.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bond_Villian said:

Is this bumpiness inherent in the height map, or can it be reduced in the theme settings (under 'bumpiness'!)? If its inherent in the height map, perhaps road levelling will help, but i havent experimented with that yet so i cant say how/if it works.

To my experience setting bumpiness in theme settings does nothing to these bumps.  These seem to be part of height map.   

Doesn't seem to be any help.  I am still quite rookie with road leveling though, so I am not sure if I have done everything correctly.  I tried as well raising road slightly higher in hopes to help smoothing, but it doesn't seem to help at all. 

And To be honest, I am less worried of road, and more concerned of terrain.  Though having bumpy roads makes it extra annoying.  >.<  

Yeah, Road leveling doesn't help to these "bumps"

Edited by Lumituisku

• Members

These seem to be the result of the actual scanning process, IOW, they are raw data output of how LIDAR data are generated, and not the result of procedural bumps. I don't think that there's something that we could do about it at all, unless we increased the elevation resolution from the current 16 bit to soemthing like 20 or even 32 bit, which however would, once more, double the elevation map data sizes.

In any case, there's nothing that you could do about it, right now, as far as I can see.

DarkAngel uploaded a map a few days ago titled "Suwalki terrain maps", I highly recommend it.

I've been deep into that map ever since I opened it up.  The height map is awesome. 

The possibilities are endless for missions as long as editing themes and maps doesn't bother you.

The JAXA/ ALOS Hgt is the one I'm working from.

Edited by CalAB