An on-topic off topic music thread...

Maj.Hans

We have a thread going for "pre-combat music", but how about something a little different?

Remember the days of the early 90s when "study simulators" that wanted to be realistic only had one single playable vehicle, and literally everything else was AI only?  Remember the days when starting up your copy of "Tank: The M1A1 Abrams Battle Tank Simulation" meant that you were about to play a tank sim where the ONLY vehicle you could play WAS the M1A1?  When "Fleet Defender" meant you were about to fly an F-14B Tomcat, and you better not even think about asking to "Make X playable next" because that would be a whole different game?

So...You are making a tank simulator, which will focus on realistically modeling a single type of tank or other armored fighting vehicle.  There will be other vehicles, perhaps even choppers, aircraft, etc, but they are not important.  They will be "AI Only" so to speak, so if you select the "BRDM-2", then your game is all about being a BRDM-2 crew member or commander, nothing else!

I want to know:

1. What tank/IFV/APC does your simulator model as the player controllable one?

2. What era, region, battle, or time span does your simulator focus on?  This can be any era, any location, past or present, etc.

3. When the user fires up your game and gets to the main menu, what music does he hear as the sim's theme song?

I'll go first:

1. The IPM1 Abrams.

2. Late 80's cold war, Europe.

3. New Order, Blue Monday.

The year is 1996. The game is "Bradley Commander."

1. M3A2 Cavalry Fighting Vehicle (more missiles = more fun :) )

2. Operation Desert Storm, only with significantly more capable and less surrender-prone Iraqis. 

3. The entire soundtrack would be an instrumental version of Nudeswirl's self-titled album. The opening track would be Gordon's Corner. 

The year is 1997. Due to the massive success of "Bradley Commander," the developers release an expansion pack (remember those?) called "Bradley Commander: Balkan Fire." 

1. M3A2 ODS, with the added option to use this Bradley variant in the original campaign for an a-historic experience. 

2. The new campaign would be set in an "alternate reality" where the US intervenes in the Yugoslav Wars in Croatia and Bosnia. (Remember, it is 1997.)

3. To fit the darker nature of the campaign, the soundtrack would consist of instrumental industrial metal to give it a "grittier" feel. The opening track would be an instrumental of Replica by Fear Factory. 

2 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

The year is 1996. The game is "Bradley Commander."

1. M3A2 Cavalry Fighting Vehicle (more missiles = more fun :) )

2. Operation Desert Storm, only with significantly more capable and less surrender-prone Iraqis. 

3. The entire soundtrack would be an instrumental version of Nudeswirl's self-titled album. The opening track would be Gordon's Corner. 

HAH!  Good one!  You know for some reason this reminds me of the style of some of the 'rock and roll' soundtracks from "Silent Thunder: A-10 Tank Killer 2" that Sierra released right about 1996.  One of the three campaigns in it was it in the 1990's middle east against essentially more capable Iraqis.  👍

1. Player's tank is the Leopard2A4.

2. The sim is set in November of 1989.  Tensions are running high as protestors mass around the Berlin wall.  An East German border guard accidentally discharges his weapon into the air.  "Contagious fire" grips the other border guards, and in their panic a few short bursts are fired into the crowds on the West Berlin side of the wall.  The entire even is televised live.  The Cold War turns hot, but this time, it is because West Germany invades the East to put an end to the chaos and restore order and unity.

3. Splash screen music is "Stars of the Night" by Dynatron.

And yes I do remember Expansion Packs...But...

Following six months after the initial release, a counterpart game is released.  It works as it's own 'stand alone' study-sim, but it also enables head-to-head network play against owners of the first, similar to Spectrum Holobyte's Falcon 3.0 vs. MiG-29, where either could be installed and played as individual games or expansion packs and enabled co-op and adversarial play.

1. The player's tank is the T-72B with Kontakt 1 ERA.  East Germany doesn't have any, but the developers want to make a more interesting fight.

2. The primary campaign is identical to the one above, but the intro given to the player is written so as to blame the incident on the west.

3. This 'stand-alone expansion pack' has it's music done by Patenbrigade: Wolff.

3 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

HAH!  Good one!  You know for some reason this reminds me of the style of some of the 'rock and roll' soundtracks from "Silent Thunder: A-10 Tank Killer 2" that Sierra released right about 1996.  One of the three campaigns in it was it in the 1990's middle east against essentially more capable Iraqis.  👍

Silent Thunder: A-10 Tank Killer 2 was exactly the game I was thinking of while writing the whole part about "Bradley Commander." I spent many an hour playing that when I was young. Great memories! 

• 1 month later...