Unable to start download manager - more then one instance [RESOLVED]

Gottel

3 hours ago, Gottel said:

Mail send to snake.

I noticed that to delete the file- described above, only worked once, after closing and starting Programm agin, I get the instance message again. 

Let me know If you need more logs or infos.

Thank you for sending the log file.

Basically it states that the SBMPDS starts as expected. It goes into the "Listening on message queue" state which is exactly what it should do.

BUT 8 seconds after reaching that state it receives a "onStop" message and shuts down itself. The "onStop" signal seems to be sent by the Windows-Service. This is not what happens on my system... Perhaps some setting in the Windows-Services is wrong.

Below I attach a picture showing how the SBMPDS is configured on my system (sorry my OS is speaking German to me):

image.thumb.png.291d8c9c715c3f7fd5af114008e95d2f.png

Could you, before starting the service, quit the MapPackageDownloadManager application and clean the IPC directory completely. Then start the service and observe the runstate of the service for a few minutes... It should not switch into another state as "running" (aka "Wird ausgeführt"). Then start the MapPackageDownloadManager application again. It should automatically go into the "connected" state.

13 hours ago, cmeyer said:

@Gibsonm@Gottel

In "%ProgramData%\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools\logs" you will find a file "serviceLog.txt". Could you upload this file or send it to Ssnake ((at) eSimGames (.com))? We will then further investigate what's going on.

@TSe419E

I successfully downloaded  91ab4634-ec7e-46ef-966a-608b16fe4b5c here and both the base package and the delta package ended up on my disc. So the server seems to be up.

Update: Had a chance to restart machine today.

No change.

Waded past all the stuff in German (I presume I don't need to worry about that).

No "Log" folder.

My Path looks like this:

Map Manager.jpg

Note:

1. There is no IPC folder.

2. The service is allegedly running:

Services.png

I guess there's a good reason why we now have files scattered around C:\ (Program Files and ProgramData) or is it because of the silly OS out of Redmond?

Edited by Gibsonm

45 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

No "Log" folder.

My Path looks like this: 

Map Manager.jpg

Note:

1. There is no IPC folder.

The folder in your explorer shows "C:\Program Files\...". The log folder is under "C:\ProgramData\...

Could you please check what you find there?

2. The service is allegedly running:

Services.png

I guess there's a good reason why we now have files scattered around C:\ (Program Files and ProgramData) or is it because of the silly OS out of Redmond?

Great that your service is up and running. Please try to remove the file "%ProgramData%\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools\IPC\PackageDownloadManagerMutex" .

The reason to have both locations is that %ProgramFiles% is ment to contain only the runtime components of programs like libraries and executables and stuff which is not changing in time after installation. Under %ProgramData% programs can install / create / maintain their needs for dynamic data like logFiles or other resources which might change from time to time.

1 hour ago, cmeyer said:

"%ProgramData%\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools\IPC\PackageDownloadManagerMutex" .

Just wanted to say I have been getting the “download manager Is already running”  message as well.  I have been having to much fun with 4.1 to bother trying to figure out the error but then I saw these posts in the form and I tried the suggestion of removing the file ..."%ProgramData%\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools\IPC\PackageDownloadManagerMutex"  and that did the trick.Tested trying to download the Hannover map and no problems.   Thanks

Dave

8 hours ago, cmeyer said:

Please try to remove the file "%ProgramData%\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools\IPC\PackageDownloadManagerMutex" .

OK looked in the other place and deleted that file it now works.

Next question, where does it put it?

After downloading a map I looked in the Packages folder and there is no new map package dated today (or modified today)?

Do I just take it on faith that its been downloaded?

Guess I need to do a search on the "Packages" folder for the new map file since it likely buried in some "delta" folder somewhere?

Edited by Gibsonm

58 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Next question, where does it put it?

Without further configuration the MapPackageDownloadManager puts the map packages into a folder which is set by a parameter in your registry. The registry key is Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\eSim Games\Configuration\4.1 . The value of "mappackagepath" points to the directory where the packages are stored.

If you downloaded a Delta package this is stored within the directory of it's Base package.

Thanks.

I'm guessing therefore it might be advisable for those uploading maps to the "downloads" area here perhaps include in the description whether its a full map package or a delta (I guess the file size is a likely indicator).

I don't really want to muck around with the Registry Editor just to find out where a file went.

Edited by Gibsonm

19 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I don't really want to muck around with the Registry Editor just to find out where a file went.

This is a good hint! I will bring this up in our team meeting and i think we will find a solution.

Edited by cmeyer

• Members
19 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

It's also shown in the Main Manu / Options / Filepaths

Of course, where it goes from there depends then on whether it's a base map (new folder) or a delta map (new folder under the original base map). In principle though no user should need to bother with the exact location unless he's responsible for the creation and distribution of maps. Our UI is designed to, well, "not bother" the user with such details as the sole identifier for a map is the map UID. Folder names can be changed, they could even be deceptively changed to look like some entirely different map if you have a prankster among your men. So Steel Beasts will no longer bother with file and folder names to identify a map, that's why we introduced the UID.

23 hours ago, cmeyer said:

Thank you for sending the log file.

Basically it states that the SBMPDS starts as expected. It goes into the "Listening on message queue" state which is exactly what it should do.

BUT 8 seconds after reaching that state it receives a "onStop" message and shuts down itself. The "onStop" signal seems to be sent by the Windows-Service. This is not what happens on my system... Perhaps some setting in the Windows-Services is wrong.

Below I attach a picture showing how the SBMPDS is configured on my system (sorry my OS is speaking German to me):

Could you, before starting the service, quit the MapPackageDownloadManager application and clean the IPC directory completely. Then start the service and observe the runstate of the service for a few minutes... It should not switch into another state as "running" (aka "Wird ausgeführt"). Then start the MapPackageDownloadManager application again. It should automatically go into the "connected" state.

German Windows is no problem, I am from germany :)

Dienst is configured like your screenshot, before start ipc folder is cleared, Service is running for some minutes, state is: wird ausgeführt

Downloadmanager started is automatical connected,

Download Hanover Map worked.

The Problem: closed the window, started again and now the multiple instance error, service itself is still running in: wird ausgeführt. 

I try a restart of my PC ...

PC restartetd, I get the multiple instance error, 

And the service is beendet ...Bild2.jpg.7a522c19c060f2015c6cff8e7852255f.jpg

If you need a log file, no problem

Edited by Gottel

1 hour ago, Gottel said:

German Windows is no problem, I am from germany :)

Dienst is configured like your screenshot, before start ipc folder is cleared, Service is running for some minutes, state is: wird ausgeführt

Downloadmanager started is automatical connected,

Download Hanover Map worked.

Great so far. In principle it works!

1 hour ago, Gottel said:

The Problem: closed the window, started again and now the multiple instance error, service itself is still running in: wird ausgeführt. 

Now perhaps there is a misunderstanding: If you close the MapDownloadManager using the marked cross shown below the MapDownloadManager is NOT closed!

image.thumb.png.d432aaee969fc4d470beaf7fd73f7dda.png

It is minimized and waits in the task bar for another activity! This is shown here:

image.png.e820bf428a398fd1f2a317bbf67c565b.png

By a double click on this icon you restore the MapDownloadManager.

If you start another instance of the MapDownloadManager the given error message is correct.

1 hour ago, Gottel said:

I try a restart of my PC ...

PC restartetd, I get the multiple instance error, 

And the service is beendet ...

Please set the start mode of the service to "Automatic" (no time delay). Additionally please clean up the IPC folder and reboot. Then start the MapDownloadManager... It should work now.

If you intent to quit the MapDownloadManager you have to use the cross-symbol marked below:

image.thumb.png.e1026d1bb265a2b2e036cef2bf05708c.png

image.png

Puh, now it works correct.

I think i allways crashed the downloadmanager by using the upper right right x of the window, not the red one insight the window!

Maybe some other problems ...  but solved :)

Thanks alot for your support!

Vielen Dank für die tolle Unterstützung!

• Ssnake pinned this topic

Hm, I still have a problem with the Download Manager

- Steel Beasts Map Package Download Serice is "running" (and Startup-Type is set to "Automatic - Delayed Start")

- no "PackageDownloadManagerMutex" in the eSim ProgrammData directory

I start the Manager, click on Connect and get the "Failed to connect to the service! Exception message: The system cannot find the file specified.(7)".

The resulting PackgeDownloadManagerLog:

[19:22:03,520] INFO : Version 19.000
[19:22:04,066] TRACE: Interprocess emulation folder: 'C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools\IPC'
[19:22:04,066] INFO : MQ name: SB_00010020
[19:22:04,082] TRACE: Removed old message queue
[19:22:05,646] TRACE: Interprocess emulation folder: 'C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools\IPC'
[19:22:05,647] INFO : MQ name: SB_00010020
[19:22:05,662] TRACE: Removed old message queue
[19:22:07,447] INFO : Message queue was already removed.
[19:22:07,447] INFO : Message queue was already removed.
[19:22:07,459] INFO : Done

Any ideas?

Jens

18 hours ago, Ssnake said:

There's also a service log. What does it say?

The service.log said "boost::filesystem::status: Access is denied: "C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolfsburg_Dahlum\metadata.mrf"

I removed the Wolfsburg_Dahlum directory and now I can connect and download maps.

Thanks

Jens

• 5 months later...

I start the Manager, click on Connect and get the "Failed to connect to the service! Exception message: The system cannot find the file specified.(7)"

serviceLog.txt

[09:28:25,487] TRACE: WinMain
[09:28:25,487] TRACE: ctor
[09:28:25,488] TRACE: onStart
[09:28:25,488] INFO : Version 31.000
[09:28:25,488] TRACE: Starting up
[09:28:25,488] TRACE: Loading configuration
[09:28:25,488] INFO : Loading configuration from 'C:\Program Files\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Transfer Tools\Service\config\config.xml'
[09:28:25,488] INFO : Map Package Directory is 'F:\jeux\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages'
[09:28:25,489] TRACE: Refreshing mappackage directory
[09:28:25,489] TRACE: Refreshing folder 'F:\jeux\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages'
[09:28:25,489] ERROR: Exception! 
boost::filesystem::directory_iterator::construct: Accès refusé: "F:\jeux\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages"

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 11:20 AM, Retro said:

Dumb question, but does this folder (F:\jeux\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages") exist?

I found a way to made it ti work:

-Stop the service

-Delete the file "%ProgramData%\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools\IPC\PackageDownloadManagerMutex" .

-restart manually the service.

-Start map tool as adminstrator

And only then it works.

• Ssnake unpinned this topic