Button Boxes

hoggydog

I haven't got one but have thought of making one.

Gibsonm, it's a, more or less, home-made game controller you can configure to match the specific game someone wants to make it for used in conjunction with other game controllers (HOTAS or steering wheels).  They use software very much like the profiler for my joystick so there is no problem with the more than one controller issue.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:36 PM, Gibsonm said:

Not really, my wife is the one into haberdashery. ;)

Sorry. Seriously, I have no idea what it is in a SB context.

Are you telling me sewing skills are not required in the Australian military?

When I joined the Royal Navy we had to bring quite a comprehensive sewing kit and were taught basic uniform repairs!

• 6 months later...
On 8/23/2019 at 11:38 PM, hoggydog said:

ordered this one, it seemed a reasonable price. Let's see how it works

Screenshot_20190823-123557_eBay.jpg

@hoggydog how did the button box go? I've been looking at similar, commercially-available button boxes but I'd be keen to hear your experience, and whether it adds value to the Steel Beasts or not, before pressing the button, so to speak.

This is the one I'm thinking about:

spacer.png 

(https://www.ricmotech.com/RealGear_RACEpro_H22_Button_Box_p/rgr-rpbp-h22.htm)

2 hours ago, Panzer_Leader said:

@hoggydog how did the button box go? I've been looking at similar, commercially-available button boxes but I'd be keen to hear your experience, and whether it adds value to the Steel Beasts or not, before pressing the button, so to speak.

spacer.png 

For that price you could build several. Start with a Leo bodnar or U-Hid board and an RS or Wiltronics catalogue Nothing in that box there is worth US$230

14 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

For that price you could build several. Start with a Leo bodnar or U-Hid board and an RS or Wiltronics catalogue Nothing in that box there is worth US$230

I'd recommend the U-HID boards as these can be programmed to act as a keyboard. The Leo Bodnar boards are good, but are recognised by Windows as Joysticks.  Steel Beasts will only allow one Joystick to be used (unless you use third party software which looks like a pain in the arse to set up) 

Similar switches used in the RealGear RACEpro Button Box can be sourced on eBay for a few dollars each. 

You can print your own box if you have access to a 3D printer. If you don't have the tools to design your own box, email AFV Sim and we'll send you a few ready made designs. If you want to design your own box, send us a sketch with a few dimensions and we'll design one for you.

27 minutes ago, hawes said:

I'd recommend the U-HID boards as these can be programmed to act as a keyboard. The Leo Bodnar boards are good, but are recognised by Windows as Joysticks.  Steel Beasts will only allow one Joystick to be used (unless you use third party software which looks like a pain in the arse to set up) 

Similar switches used in the RealGear RACEpro Button Box can be sourced on eBay for a few dollars each. 

You can print your own box if you have access to a 3D printer. If you don't have the tools to design your own box, email AFV Sim and we'll send you a few ready made designs. If you want to design your own box, send us a sketch with a few dimensions and we'll design one for you.

Leo Bodnar boards would be good if Esim supported them as they have the ability to handle Rotary encoders for traverse wheels. From what I've read the U-Hid claims to do rotary encoders but don't implement them well.

55 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

Leo Bodnar boards would be good if Esim supported them as they have the ability to handle Rotary encoders for traverse wheels. From what I've read the U-Hid claims to do rotary encoders but don't implement them well.

We got mechanical low-res encoders to work with the U-HID boards. The boards also support LED's.

A simple design using 6 push switches and 6 toggle switches. This will give you 18 signals using 2 position toggle switches. With a custom design, you can choose your own type and quantity of switches and arrange them however you want.  Contact AFV Sim if you want the .STL files to 3D print this design. 

Assembly. Button Box.PNG

2 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

Plus using a U-hid you can have up to 32 buttons

Also, the U-HID boards can be connected together and assigned their own ID's, up to a limit of 8 board.  Potentially 8 x 50 signals. In practice, the ID's in Windows get a bit flakey after 5 or 6 boards, but I'm told this is a Windows issue. 

18 hours ago, Panzer_Leader said:

spacer.png 

Works like a dream for DCS and other things build quality is good too with a nice long lead. However, trying to get SB to accept more than one controller requires more Joy2key fuckery than i have time for atm. Someone did post an excellent tutorial on how to do it elswhere on the forum I just need to find the will and the time. 

On 3/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, hoggydog said:

Works like a dream for DCS and other things build quality is good too with a nice long lead. However, trying to get SB to accept more than one controller requires more Joy2key fuckery than i have time for atm. Someone did post an excellent tutorial on how to do it elswhere on the forum I just need to find the will and the time. 

Thanks @hoggydog, appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure I've got the patience for that right now either (plus cost / benefit outcome for Steel Beasts seems low, the only application I'd use it for) so might shelve my button box aspirations for the time being, maybe to revisit at some point in the future.

Cheers

On 3/21/2020 at 12:48 AM, hoggydog said:

I found JoyToKey very easy to use once the profile is created and setup.

It is faster to assign key presses to buttons than writing about it.

I’ve boiled the JTK part from my Multiple Controllers tutorial down to this:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/13930-the-short-joytokey-guide/