Sign in to follow this  
ChrisWerb

Forward Observer sighting system questions [RESOLVED]

I have never played a dismounted FO before and wanted to give the JIM-LR a go.

1. How do I get the JIM-LR to go into Thermal Imaging mode?

2. When I go to F2, I get what I presume was the legacy LRF that preceded it as the view looks like an optical channel rather than digital, I can toggle the LRF to night view via the + key on the keypad as per most vehicle sights, but it then loses its LRF and position generating capability and is just a plain red cross hair (not even mils for range estimation). Why would the ranging and position generating capabilities be day channel specific?

4. And, yes, this is a noob question. What is the hot key for ordinary binoculars for unit/vehicle commanders? (before you go all "RTFM" on me, I've searched the forum, the manual (three mentions of binoculars) and the keyboard layout print out : ) )

1: Num* or Shift+Num*, something like that

2: Not sure what you mean - are you still asking about JIM-LR, or about generic artillery observer, or...?

3: BiNoculars, like zoom iN'N'out

Generally, rather than checking the user's manual I would always recommend the Controls dialog (Alt+C) where you can type search words to finter the list, although admittedly you still need to know what you're searching for, and not always is a certain hotkey listed under the general commands or wherever you'd expect it, but rather, we picked an equipment-specific hotkey (e.g. for the Lemur RWS) and then morphed it into a general command simply because we're running out of useful hotkey combinations but the number of features and functions keeps growing. :o

12 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

I have never played a dismounted FO before and wanted to give the JIM-LR a go.

1. How do I get the JIM-LR to go into Thermal Imaging mode?

'TIS alt.view' hotkey- by default it should be Shift+Numpad* combo

14 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

2. When I go to F2, I get what I presume was the legacy LRF that preceded it as the view looks like an optical channel rather than digital, I can toggle the LRF to night view via the + key on the keypad as per most vehicle sights, but it then loses its LRF and position generating capability and is just a plain red cross hair (not even mils for range estimation). Why would the ranging and position generating capabilities would be day channel specific?

In-game FO party shares optics with  M981;  this means that optics  is an AN/TVQ-2,  which have clip-on AN/TAS-4 or AN/UAS-12 series  thermal sight(same as TOW), which doesn't have any numerical displays to show  range, grid or any other data. 

Looks like the List function is broken.

1. Test
  2. Test
  3. Test

Well, at least the old BBcode still works.

Posted (edited)

Thanks again for the comprehensive responses. I did first check the drop down controls list for "Binoculars" and "Bin" and nothing came up - I forgot to mention it. Apologies.

Edited by ChrisWerb