Forward Observer sighting system questions [RESOLVED]

ChrisWerb

I have never played a dismounted FO before and wanted to give the JIM-LR a go.

1. How do I get the JIM-LR to go into Thermal Imaging mode?

2. When I go to F2, I get what I presume was the legacy LRF that preceded it as the view looks like an optical channel rather than digital, I can toggle the LRF to night view via the + key on the keypad as per most vehicle sights, but it then loses its LRF and position generating capability and is just a plain red cross hair (not even mils for range estimation). Why would the ranging and position generating capabilities be day channel specific?

4. And, yes, this is a noob question. What is the hot key for ordinary binoculars for unit/vehicle commanders? (before you go all "RTFM" on me, I've searched the forum, the manual (three mentions of binoculars) and the keyboard layout print out : ) )

• Members

1: Num* or Shift+Num*, something like that

2: Not sure what you mean - are you still asking about JIM-LR, or about generic artillery observer, or...?

3: BiNoculars, like zoom iN'N'out

Generally, rather than checking the user's manual I would always recommend the Controls dialog (Alt+C) where you can type search words to finter the list, although admittedly you still need to know what you're searching for, and not always is a certain hotkey listed under the general commands or wherever you'd expect it, but rather, we picked an equipment-specific hotkey (e.g. for the Lemur RWS) and then morphed it into a general command simply because we're running out of useful hotkey combinations but the number of features and functions keeps growing. :o

12 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

I have never played a dismounted FO before and wanted to give the JIM-LR a go.

1. How do I get the JIM-LR to go into Thermal Imaging mode?

'TIS alt.view' hotkey- by default it should be Shift+Numpad* combo

14 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

2. When I go to F2, I get what I presume was the legacy LRF that preceded it as the view looks like an optical channel rather than digital, I can toggle the LRF to night view via the + key on the keypad as per most vehicle sights, but it then loses its LRF and position generating capability and is just a plain red cross hair (not even mils for range estimation). Why would the ranging and position generating capabilities would be day channel specific?

In-game FO party shares optics with  M981;  this means that optics  is an AN/TVQ-2,  which have clip-on AN/TAS-4 or AN/UAS-12 series  thermal sight(same as TOW), which doesn't have any numerical displays to show  range, grid or any other data. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this up as a necro thread, but I've just done an artillery FO test scenario. First I equipped my FO team with JIM-LR but when I went F7 then F2, I got a generic LRF and NV combination. I then tried an infantry scout team also JIM-LR equipped and deleted their NVGs, That time  just got generic binoculars with mil scale. The JIM-LR is not on the Alt-C controls list.  How do I get my troops to use it?

• Members

The keyword to search is "optr" - Cycle active optronics (R). Then use the (Num+) hotkey to toggle between eye view and the sight's view. You can't use (R) while you're using either device (NVG, or JIM-LR). The basic logic being that you can't use binoculars with NVGs flipped down and vice versa.

In any case, you need to switch to CDR position (F7) first, and you access it from the eye view (F1).

How do you focus the JIM-LR? (late edit. it's the  Num decimal point)

Does logging in to the SB Wiki allow me to edit it. Sadly, I forgot my SB forum password ages ago, stay logged-in, and would need a reset to edit if that's the case.

Edited by ChrisWerb

1 hour ago, ChrisWerb said:

How do you focus the JIM-LR? (late edit. it's the  Num decimal point)

Does logging in to the SB Wiki allow me to edit it. Sadly, I forgot my SB forum password ages ago, stay logged-in, and would need a reset to edit if that's the case.

Best bet is to contact Sean and start from the ground up.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, to hopefully prove that I don't constantly sit on the sidelines being picky, and very much thanks to Sean for sorting out my login and giving me some basic instructions, here's my first take at a Wiki manual for the JIM-LR.  I put it in Vehicles - Others as I couldn't find a section for other equipment types such as ATGW, MGs and optical sights, RWS etc.

Edited by ChrisWerb