Odd result with N-LAW / Storm - probably not a bug

ChrisWerb

I should have taken a screen capture of this, but, this afternoon one of my infantry hit a BMP-3 with an NLAW. The post action analysis thingy clearly showed a burst deep within the crew compartment of the vehicle with fragments radiating from it. That would not be how an N-LAW worked - as you know it has a HEAT warhead angled downward like that of the BILL series. I'm wondering if the radial fragmentation was from a 100mm HE-FRAG round detonated by the N-LAW? Is fragmentation from secondary explosions modelled in SB?

• Members

No, but of course each HEAT warhead also produces overpressure and fragments.

That being said, I think it may be a similar case as one of the other bugs we've been chasing lately where  a HEAT round fired on tank fronts would fail to perforate the armor, but still kill the tank due to certain old mechanisms still being in place.

Another, seemingly unlikely but not impossible result I had today had an M-136 (AT-4) prematurely detonated well short of an MTLB by tall grass (African scenario) and still killed it with a fragment spray  from, I'd guess, around four vehicle lengths distance (IIRC it hit it with about 75 fragments in a cone.circle/around a metre and a half diameter). It was almost perpendicular to the armour. Again, I really appreciate that with SB you sometimes get unexpected results that teach you things about reality that you can never get from books etc.

Edited by ChrisWerb

• Members

It's at the edge of the possible, I suppose, but the MTLB isn't very well protected and HEAT jets start to particulate after about 10...12 meters of air gap, but even then the individual jet fragments might have enough residual power to perforate the armor. If enough of them do that, even low likelihoods begin to accumulate to the point where a kill is not longer entirely unlikely.

Our old model completely (almost) ignored the effects of premature detonation because of foliage collision. Now it is the norm, so we need to get accustomed to seeing it happen.