ben

Using a theme from 4.023 causes a system reboot [RESOLVED]

Hi

EDIT, I have now encountered the same problem with several new _esim themes as well!

Using the theme from my old scenario "Holding Bonsdorf" leads to a total crash and system reboot.

The map is Schwarmstedt-Bergen-Munster_summer,  the attached example scenario causes my system to REBOOT, so use caution if you test it!

The problem does not happen if I replace theme to the theme from the original map.

Attached a clip of the issue, the scenario and theme files.

It only happens when looking in a certain direction from a certain point.

Any ideas?

B08.thm CRASH01.sce

Sorry can't really help.

I know some of my scenarios, when updated, have resulted in some interesting conversions in 4.159 but they've never crashed the machine.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)

I am wondering, has the structure of theme files changed at all since 4.1?

Edited by ben

I'm not so much convinced if problem is  really theme-related... Also unable to  reproduce on my PC.

1) Do you see the problem  with this particular theme? This theme itself doesn't appear wrong, if inspected

2) Are there any logs and dumps left?

Edit:

Speaking of dumps,  please check if  memory dump file (memory.dmp) was created in C:\Windows\

19 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

I'm not so much convinced if problem is  really theme-related... Also unable to  reproduce on my PC.

1) Do you see the problem  with this particular theme? This theme itself doesn't appear wrong, if inspected

2) Are there any logs and dumps left?

Edit:

Speaking of dumps,  please check if  memory dump file (memory.dmp) was created in C:\Windows\

You are right. now tested several other new themes, same crash.

nothing in SB logs, crash is so fast.

Will check windows logs..

This a rather nasty situation, which may have a lot of potential causes- from software-related issues to the faulty hardware.

Memory dump, system log, dxdiag etc  may be very handy, but better do not post them here because this may potentially expose your sensitive personal data- it is better to mail them to @Ssnake 

3 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

This a rather nasty situation, which may have a lot of potential causes- from software-related issues to the faulty hardware.

Memory dump, system log, dxdiag etc  may be very handy, but better do not post them here- it is better to mail them to @Ssnake 

Yeah, no memory.dmp was created, sytem event log just shows kernel power events, I'm at a loss.   It does seem theme dependent somehow, but I cant narrow it down!

There would still be a crashdump file. The link to the folder where they are can be found in the Windows Start Menu / eSim Games / Steel Beasts / Troubleshooting. There's a link to a folder "CrashDumps", and in it there would be files like SBProPE64cm.exe.16944.dmp where the "16944" is a random number that would be different from file to file. Please zip the most recent file(s), then send them to me by email, ideally with a link to this forum thread. I'll pass it on to the programmers for inspection.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

There would still be a crashdump file. The link to the folder where they are can be found in the Windows Start Menu / eSim Games / Steel Beasts / Troubleshooting. There's a link to a folder "CrashDumps", and in it there would be files like SBProPE64cm.exe.16944.dmp where the "16944" is a random number that would be different from file to file. Please zip the most recent file(s), then send them to me by email, ideally with a link to this forum thread. I'll pass it on to the programmers for inspection.

Unfortunately there are no SBPeoPE64cm.exe files in there, just some unrelated ones.  I wonder if anyone else can replicate it?

After more investigation I have found the problem only happens at 2560x1440 resolution. So is it a GPU problem?!  I tried at 1920x1080 and lower, no issues.  I have all graphics and terrain sliders set at default.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 1803.

Hardware is RTX2080ti,  i7 8700K @5ghz. 16Gb Ddr4 3600.  Samsung 960Pros in Raid0.

Edited by ben

1 hour ago, ben said:

After more investigation I have found the problem only happens at 2560x1440 resolution. So is it a GPU problem?!  I tried at 1920x1080 and lower, no issues.  I have all graphics and terrain sliders set at default.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 1803.

Hardware is RTX2080ti,  i7 8700K @5ghz. 16Gb Ddr4 3600.  Samsung 960Pros in Raid0.

Yes, this definitely sounds like a hardware problem- faulty GPU(likely) or  issues with PSU not supplying  sufficient power (less likely)... But I  suggest to update or reinstall    graphics drivers first.

Yes. It could be a hardware issue. They are rare, but not entirely impossible. More likely however is a bug in a device driver.

9 hours ago, Jartsev said:

Yes, this definitely sounds like a hardware problem- faulty GPU(likely) or  issues with PSU not supplying  sufficient power (less likely)... But I  suggest to update or reinstall    graphics drivers first.

A clean install of new NVIDIA drivers done and no change :(

I have experimented with the GPU.  If I lower the power target to 50% it fixes the crash.  The frame rate is still a steady 62FPS until looking at the large forest, then the instead of crashing the frames drop to about 22FPS while looking at the forest.

I cannot recreate the power spike and crash in any other software, sims, games benchmarks etc.

I will try and make a custom OC profile for steel beast which keeps the voltage up at least 1.0v at all times.