Monolithic Wall

CalAB

While looking at one of the new maps for 4.1, I set up an area through the mission editor and came across this anomaly.  I remember reading in the release notes something about a "wall" problem during testing of maps before initial release. 

SS_16_13_43.jpg

SS_16_13_59.jpg

SS_16_16_29.jpg

SS_16_22_46.jpg

Could you confirm that the camera was outside of the map edges when these walls appeared? And that, beyond these walls, no terrain is present/rendered at all? This would match what I'm seeing on my end.

(The landscape is mirrored up to a few kms or so beyond the map edges. In this particular map, when the edges of the mirrored "no man's land" terrain are in view, these walls appear (at the edges only)).

5 hours ago, Jam said:

Could you confirm that the camera was outside of the map edges when these walls appeared? And that, beyond these walls, no terrain is present/rendered at all? This would match what I'm seeing on my end.

(The landscape is mirrored up to a few kms or so beyond the map edges. In this particular map, when the edges of the mirrored "no man's land" terrain are in view, these walls appear (at the edges only)).

Ok,

In the first set of screen captures in my OP, those captures were taken during during test, so the terrain at 90 degrees from the map was visible from within the selected area, the third screen shot confirms. 

The second set of screen captures I'm providing are not in test and are taken when free roaming on the chosen area, in this case outside of the play area.  These walls only appear east and west of the map with a brief "short in height" wall appearing on the north side.  The visibility is set to 18k, this may also be part of the reason I'm seeing these walls.  

SS_09_05_34.jpg

SS_09_05_40.jpg

SS_09_06_06.jpg

SS_09_09_33.jpg

Edited by CalAB

• Moderators

Regarding the terrain wall, what is your ALT+D 'terrain cache size' slider set at? It probably wouldn't be that, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Besides that, yes, 18km visibility is quite extreme situation here.

A couple of things regarding the other screen shots:

1. Yes, it is intentional that the ground is not visible when you are about 4km+ outside the map boundary. There is only so much terrain we want to generate beyond the map edge, as this takes resources,, and 4km or so was deemed "good enough".

2. Also, when you are outside the map area, past this 4km range, there will be some visual oddities, but you really aren't supposed to be out there.

(but these are not related to the terrain wall, unless the terrain wall is appearing outside of the map boundary, and it seems like it is?)

• Members

Technically the terrain is still there (just not rendered), so computer-controlled units can be placed there ... be it as sentries to snipe at players thinking that the edge of the map is a safe space (no: it's not the edge of the world, just the boundary of the mapped area...), be it for reinforcements to travel a realistic distance before arriving in the combat zone, be it to win some room for artillery units with extra long range.