Leopard 2A5DKA2 FCS does not adjust properly firing DM11 HE-T when there is wind [RESOLVED FIXED]

Assassin 7

We will look at this...  But please note, that all Leo-2s present in game  do not have crosswind sensor, and you will see  visible deviation with any 120mm full-bore round. Then, if you have  15m/sec cross wind,  deflection for DM53 at 2.5km should be ~0.9-1m, which  is barely visible, but  DM12, for example,   should be ~14 meters off target.

• Members

In the fire control computer (at the right shoulder of the gunner), you would have to set the crosswind ("Querwind") with one of the rotary knobs, positive values for wind going left to right (and, duh, negative values for wind blowing right to left). 15 mi/H is about 7m/s, a gentle breeze (Beaufort 4), and as the DM11 is relatively slow and relatively big it gets affected more noticeably. If you want to see something really crazy, try coax engagements at medium ranges with infantry all around you. In that case you basically have to walk the fire into the target (unless you're the crosswind god)

• Members

Note that in the CV90/35 you set the wind compensation as a cardinal direction (with respect to the currect hull orientation), so if you then drive around and turn the turret left and right, the crosswind correction will take that into account (still no meteo sensor, though). For the CV90/35 it is imperative to get the correct direction of the wind and its max force right because everything else depends on that.

On the Leopard 2 with its older fire control system, only the cross component of the wind vector must be considered, and always relative to the current turret orientation. Theoretically you'd have to set the correction for every single engagement. In practice, if you're firing atr multiple targets in roughly the same direction, you do it only once, for the whole engagement.

Dumb question, but do any Leo2s have crosswind sensors in real life?  I thought I read somewhere that they were taken off early examples and not re-fitted to later ones because they gave spurious results - or rather the result was correct at the vehicle, which might be lurking in a sheltered location with wind blowing a gale outside of it.

16 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

Dumb question, but do any Leo2s have crosswind sensors in real life?  I thought I read somewhere that they were taken off early examples and not re-fitted to later ones because they gave spurious results - or rather the result was correct at the vehicle, which might be lurking in a sheltered location with wind blowing a gale outside of it.

Was told recently be a Leopard tanker that the unit could request them if needed. But for now the tankers are given the wind speed and its entered manually. Its quite accurate on the Abrams though and does make a difference in long range shooting which has been tested. 

• Members
6 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

Original Leopard 2s had them. Someone decided that they weren't useful because there were occasionally situations in which they would give false signals, e.g. if you were in a wind protected area but the target was not. Looks like they forgot to realize that there was a button to switch off the sensor.

Anyway, Hellenic 2A6s have a full meteo station on board (well, you can't measure the amount of precipitation, admittedly), so it's a very British solution - "fitted for, but not with"