Jump to content

Noob artillery questions


Recommended Posts

  • If I have a couple of PzH2000 on the map in a scenario, and off-map artillery, when I call for fire how can I discriminate between the off-map arty and the PzH2000s?
  • I had trouble cancelling fire missions - can only the unit that called the mission cancel it?
  • In one scenario I had my second missions by both on map SPHs and mortars stuck at "Awaiting permission" for the rest of the scenario - any idea what I may have been doing wrong?
Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case, maybe they were out of the ammo required for the execution of the mission. If not, maybe it was a bug.

Would be interesting to see if you can create a scenario with as few units as possible that replicates the behavior. That way we can investigate, and use it as a future test case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

It was almost certainly within minimum range. Thank you Ssnake.

That is the important point here.

Within the minimum range?  That means he closer or further away then the minimum range?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is so much fail here

 

I know of no gun artillery system that have a minimum firing distance except maybe some in fixed implacements.

Yes i know for indirect fire it might, but all of those can go to direct fire and a PZH2000 fires a round every 6 sec (10 rounds in 56 sec) so that's like tank fire speed you could also state that there is a 250-300m arming range of the fuze but so what this is a 52 kg shell hurtling towards you with more then 1000 m/s (compared to a 120 mm saber shot 11,4 kg or a M2 HMG of 13gram) they actually flies faster then a HMG round and i guarantee that anything they hit will stop working even if the shell doesn't explode from impact alone.

Then there is the terrain which of cause require you to have direct line of sight for direct fire.

So either terrain ,there is a bug or some failed implementation of the arty system 😎

 

But mortars have a minimum range and so does rocket arty.

 

MD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 2:05 AM, ChrisWerb said:
  • In one scenario I had my second missions by both on map SPHs and mortars stuck at "Awaiting permission" for the rest of the scenario - any idea what I may have been doing wrong?

Make sure your end your previus firemissions, if you do not open the indirect fire tab and picks "End mission" on every mission that is open they are just that, open... In progress. you cant shoot more with that battery untill you have finished firing, and that you have done when hit "end mission" in the indirect fire tab. 
When I get Awaiting permission it's because I forgot to finish off the prior fire missions in that tab.

/KT

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 12:43 PM, Major duck said:

There is so much fail here

 

I know of no gun artillery system that have a minimum firing distance except maybe some in fixed implacements.

Yes i know for indirect fire it might, but all of those can go to direct fire and a PZH2000 fires a round every 6 sec (10 rounds in 56 sec) so that's like tank fire speed you could also state that there is a 250-300m arming range of the fuze but so what this is a 52 kg shell hurtling towards you with more then 1000 m/s (compared to a 120 mm saber shot 11,4 kg or a M2 HMG of 13gram) they actually flies faster then a HMG round and i guarantee that anything they hit will stop working even if the shell doesn't explode from impact alone.

Then there is the terrain which of cause require you to have direct line of sight for direct fire.

So either terrain ,there is a bug or some failed implementation of the arty system 😎

 

But mortars have a minimum range and so does rocket arty.

 

MD 

OK, noob question incoming. Clearly you can fire directly at a target with almost every kind of tube artillery system ever invented. However, if you are firing indirectly, in upper register, let's say to avoid intervening terrain, buildings etc,, surely you will run into a minimum range issue, either because the system allows insufficient elevation or the CEP of the projectiles would put the system in danger from its own fire (fragments rather than direct hits), or both? I.e, you are encountering the "mortar" minimum range issue, but with a howitzer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

nope most gun arty cant elevate that high and then there are the fuze safety it needs a certain amount of revolutions /spins and sometimes a certain g force to arm and the very small remaining risk is why you see arty men in their frag vest/ and pots on their head even in a SPG and the amount of shrapnel that goes directly back to the gun is very small and also have to overcome the initial velocity of the shell.

 

That was also why i mentioned that even though its not armed and therefore able to explode if it hits its still a very very big piece of metal and TNT and the impact of 52 kg the KE alone will still destroy all opponents even MBTs.

and if its inf that where that close we would have put in 6 or 7 boxes of 7 inch nails instead of a shell that would have destroyed the rifling but would work like a grapeshot and shred any inf not in hard cover

 

The biggest risk with firing is if the guy with the swaber (stick with rags on the end) doesn't extinguishes all glowing material from the previous charge bags then you risk a premature ignition and that's bad especially in an SPG because there wont be an explosion but the charges burn very very hot and in that small space that's bad, people that survive that don't look so good anymore.

 

MD

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 4:47 PM, ChrisWerb said:

OK, noob question incoming. Clearly you can fire directly at a target with almost every kind of tube artillery system ever invented. However, if you are firing indirectly, in upper register, let's say to avoid intervening terrain, buildings etc,, surely you will run into a minimum range issue, either because the system allows insufficient elevation or the CEP of the projectiles would put the system in danger from its own fire (fragments rather than direct hits), or both? I.e, you are encountering the "mortar" minimum range issue, but with a howitzer.

I know what you're getting at;  Speaking, strictly, in terms of low angle indirect fire; there are no technical minimum ranges for howitzers, provided the terrain along the gun-target line is perfectly flat.  Obviously it's 100% more likely that the terrain isn't perfectly flat, and consists of either obstacles to clear near the guns, or masking terrain near the target, so in low angle indirect fire you can be presented with practical dead zones, where everything fired at the target below a certain vertical angle places the ballistic arc of the projectile on course to be intercepted by terrain short of the target.

So the terrain compels you to use high angle fire in order to clear obstacles (firing from defilade), or clear masking terrain (firing into defilade), now your minimum range becomes a function of the maximum elevation of the howitzer, the ballistic properties of the specific projectile, and the smallest available charge.  Additionally certain precision guided munitions can only be fired in high angle in order to steer properly, and therefore have large minimum ranges.

It sounds like you were using PzH 2000s in your initial test, were you by chance using the Assegai ammo?  The minimum indirect fire range for the M1711 Assegai ammo in-game is ~4000 meters compared to the default M107 ammo which is ~700 meters.  If a fire mission is plotted within this minimum range it will get hung up on waiting for approval.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, Rhyfel said:

Just to clarify, when you say regular on-map artillery, you mean placed units on the map like 2S3s that are available under the artillery/units menu?

 

thank you!

Yep-- if 'allow ai to call for fire' is enabled by the scenario designer the AI can request fire from off-map artillery as well as on-map tube artillery (at the moment various self-propelled howitzers), but not rocket artillery or mortars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, thank you. 

 

Another question if you please, is there a way to either penalize a final score or cause an event not to happen if artillery falls into a certain area? I'm having an air assault trigger to bring in troops and some light vehicles. If the runway sustains damage then I want to make them unavailable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can have units (friendly, enemy, or neutral) and trigger an event if such units (inside that region) are under indirect fire. In that case you can then penalize the Blue player for that event. I seem to remember that I did exactly that in one of the Artillery tutorials.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...