Subdivide Units in Pre-planing

Japo32

Hi!

I have a problem. I am in pre-Planing in the defend mission 10 of operations, and I have set my dig holes defensive.. and want to put all the front tanks inside. The single units they do correcly. I just put them in front of the dig-hole in defensive and they advance... but the groups not. Maybe one of them do it, but the other 2 are stopped. Or all of them do not move to the dig-holes.

So I was trying to find a way to desaparate the 3 units of tanks into individuals.. but I cannot. So I have to start the scenery and be some time dividing the units and moving in routes to defensive in front of each hole. Very unnecesary if the option to divide the units in pre-planing would be possible (maybe it is and I don't find the way).

If not, how do you put the tanks automatically to each hole? I don't want to imagine moving 50 tanks to each hole in a scenery one by one. 

Thanks!

38c548faeee359ec582070d7d53532b4.png
https://gyazo.com/38c548faeee359ec582070d7d53532b4

Edited by Japo32

By the way... the tanks (automatically) don't go to the end of the hole. They stay in the first step up, resulting totally useless because they don't see anything. How can that be solved?

by the way, just to be perfect, would be nice to make the holes of sand in desert areas :)

fef8aa53e00121ae09d2d4c6dea11cf7.jpg
https://gyazo.com/fef8aa53e00121ae09d2d4c6dea11cf7

Edited by Japo32

39 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

By the way... the tanks (automatically) don't go to the end of the hole. They stay in the first step up, resulting totally useless because they don't see anything. How can that be solved?

Give them a "defend" tactic at the end of the route (just behind the position) and they will occupy the vehicle scrape.

I think I have a fix for the first one too, but need to confirm when I get home prior to posting here.

Units cannot be divided in the planning phase (being able to do this would be convenient, but it would potentially break certain scripted conditions that check unit strength). You may need to put the scrapes a little closer together if tanks of the platoon are reluctant to move apart.

Alternatively you can open the scenario in the editor (if it isnt pasdworded) and dividethem there.

Edited by Bond_Villian

• Members

1) I think the emplacements are spaced too far apart. For a platoon to send all four vehicles into the emplacements, they need to be between 25 and 100 meters apart from each other

2) Vehicles will stay in the lower tier for as long as their condition to open fire has not been met. Why expose yourself needlessly when you're not going to fire?

Thanks for the replies! (now I know it is called scrape en english :P ) 

I put a condition of firing max range 2000m so maybe is that the reason. I have to checkout then. Thanks!

For the first situation I will pause at begining of the scenario and divide units. It is not the good solution but at least I won't loose too much time doing it while the enemy advance (great campaign, I would like more like this one in future!!). I thought about the mission editor "fix" but I didn't want to see the surprises of it.

I would like to see the option to group or ungroup units in the preplaning if the editor didn't make anything with them to trigger something (if possible). 

1) I think the emplacements are spaced too far apart. For a platoon to send all four vehicles into the emplacements, they need to be between 25 and 100 meters apart from each other:

Problem I have is that the line is not a horizontal one, so I could put an echelon right or left in each situation, but a vehicle would appear in front of the scrapes. But I will try to put them closer and see with the 3D (would be nice to add a future feature to open (not ungroup) the group and move the units where you want in a certain circle distance from the unit center) That way it wouldn't break any script or anything internal.

Think about the color of the scrapes in different land conditions. It is clear that sometimes you dig into land and water comes, maybe enough to make grow green grass :) 

Edited by Japo32

• Members
36 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

For the first situation I will pause at begining of the scenario and divide units. It is not the good solution but at least I won't loose too much time doing it while the enemy advance (great campaign, I would like more like this one in future!!). I thought about the mission editor "fix" but I didn't want to see the surprises of it.

You could at least try an in-progress save if you want to run the scenario more often, right after you split the units. That way you don't have to open the file in the Mission Editor and cover your mortal eyes from the blinding glory of the heavenly secrets buried within.

Is it not possible to have, on a waypoint, the condition Embark if unit is (Unit name) and split the unit that way ? I have used this for infantry but of cause I have to embark them at the waypoint. 

Would be a nice feature to have the option to split up a unit.

49 minutes ago, JUST said:

Is it not possible to have, on a waypoint, the condition Embark if unit is (Unit name) and split the unit that way ? I have used this for infantry but of cause I have to embark them at the waypoint. 

Would be a nice feature to have the option to split up a unit.

Yes that is possible but the individual unit entity doesn't exist until it divides.

e.g. 1 Platoon may be made up of:

1A (the Platoon icon)

11A (a vehicle icon)

12A (a 2nd vehicle icon)

13A (the 3rd vehicle icon)

Say you want 11A to go on a route.

If the unit is complete (i.e. only "1A" is on the map when you choose "embark if" "this unit is ... " the only choice you'll have is "1A" (11A, 12A and 13A aren't available).

If you divide the unit so say 11A is a separate vehicle icon, then embark if "this unit is 11A" is possible as 11A will now be a viable choice.

You can not use "this unit is ..." for vehicles "inside" a Platoon icon (or say individual Infantry units still mounted in a APC).

Edited by Gibsonm

15 hours ago, Japo32 said:

by the way, just to be perfect, would be nice to make the holes of sand in desert areas

7 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Think about the color of the scrapes in different land conditions.

It could be that the theme used in that operation is a victim of the new "is ground" element in the theme editor.
The way I understand it the theme uses the terrain texture ticked "is ground" for emplacements. If more than one terrain type is so ticked, it uses the first one, sometimes yielding unexpected results. (I read that somewhere -- manual or readme -- but can't find it now to reference).

Maybe if it pre-dates that change, none of the ground types have the "is ground" box checked ... and the same thing happens -- first one gets selected. ?

Edited by Splash