SB Pro PE 4.160 AT 14 ATGM

-Sperber-

Hello,

first of all very good work, i'm very pleased with my SB 4.160 edition as a private player.

I love the option to integrate APS Sytems in game too.

By testing the AT 14 ATGM it seemed to me that it is a very potent weapon.

It can punch through the frontal hull and turret armor of M1A2 SEP, T90S and T14 Armata tanks and destroy them completely.

Is the AT14 really that strong or will the penetration model of the AT14 be adjusted?

Thanks for your opinions and comments ...

Yours sincerely

-Sperber-

SS_06_57_03.thumb.jpg.77e9759a1f8a6f848d5daa55eafdbe0c.jpgSS_06_58_08.thumb.jpg.27bb6e704dd565313150b9627e8f6fbb.jpgSS_07_10_09.thumb.jpg.754a2d74d8fca86a77cc14d5bd6d811a.jpgSS_07_11_08.thumb.jpg.043226cc6b9beb783e5523b7ad44c659.jpgSS_07_20_12.thumb.jpg.9e7d07033dcc0fdc81b2156a24354fd2.jpgSS_07_19_29.thumb.jpg.e24718e235cad4e1e4af0c2a621969af.jpgSS_07_21_37.thumb.jpg.c8f0c813b3e192eecd84db9729d805a1.jpg

Edited by -Sperber-

• Members

The AT-14 in its current state represents our best understanding of its capabilities. Our estimation that it can defeat any tank in Steel Beasts was one of the reasons why we added it, so that in the hnds of a human player it would teach virtual tankers to respect infantry missile teams. If you see it listed in the mission briefing's intelligence estimate, well, you better be very careful.

Needless to say, better data may at any time lead to a revision of our estimations. This is a simulation, after all. We try to make up as little as possible ... which also means that there is no such thing as "settled science" (- just a very solid wall of evidence, in the best of cases, which is pretty much the same as far as the practical consequences are concerned).

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The AT-14 in its current state represents our best understanding of its capabilities. Our estimation that it can defeat any tank in Steel Beasts was one of the reasons why we added it, so that in the hnds of a human player it would teach virtual tankers to respect infantry missile teams. If you see it listed in the mission briefing's intelligence estimate, well, you better be very careful.

Needless to say, better data may at any time lead to a revision of our estimations. This is a simulation, after all. We try to make up as little as possible ... which also means that there is no such thing as "settled science" (- just a very solid wall of evidence, in the best of cases, which is pretty much the same as far as the practical consequences are concerned).

AT 14 is a really powerful ATGM penetrating the M1A2 SEPs turret front with 1511mm RHA Heat equivalent or the hull with with 2263mm RHA Heat equivalent.

It will teach you not to rely on your front armor alone ...

Yours sincerely

-Sperber-

SS_16_12_01.thumb.jpg.f6d5c058354269d81efcddb7e42bd392.jpg

SS_06_58_08.thumb.jpg.e67257b3bc490e287add3d193376a3ae.jpg

600px-M1A2_SEP_frontLOS.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

Please note:  1)Armor diagram in SB wiki may not represent current  in-game model

2) It is very shortsighted   to blindly rely on  RHA penetration vs  RHA equivalent comparisons, because this doesn't work too well in real life. 

I think the KE/HEAT RHA equivalent figures wouldn't have been drawn in the tank diagram, if the were completely useless.

So what is the better way to give a rough estimation about the armor strenght.? I think not everyone can test it out at home nor can he simulate the exact physics at the impact point.

Yours sincerely

-Sperber-

10 minutes ago, 32Bravo said:

AT-14 Spriggan Is a beast and i understand BMP 3 has them fitted these days....AT-14.thumb.jpg.7c01c2e3ce94afff433acb13614c15cf.jpg

Noone doubt that the 9K135 is a strong missle. Maybe stronger than the BGM71D or the AGM 114K ....

I dont know. But surely it has it's limitations ...

Yours sincerely

-Sperber-

25 minutes ago, -Sperber- said:

I think the KE/HEAT RHA equivalent figures wouldn't have been drawn in the tank diagram, if the were completely useless.

So what is the better way to give a rough estimation about the armor strenght.? I think not everyone can test it out at home nor can he simulate the exact physics at the impact point.

Yours sincerely

-Sperber-

Hope you're not one of the rivet counters?

Anyway, the SB armour model is a rough estimate...also in pics in the SB wiki are a generalization that is not very detailed. A few inches left/right can make some difference.

Also many factors that can not be modelled in a public/non-classified game, are simply done by dicerolls (which deliver results that are good enough in 99% of the cases)

Will the AT-14 kill you M1A2 everytime when hit from the front: no

Are you safe just taking one on the chin in an M1A2: also , no.

AFAIK 9M133 Kornet ATGM penetration for newest versions will range from 1100 to 1300mm RHA depending on steel target characteristics, for example hardness, and also it's design (homogeneus, spaced, composite, passive, NERA/NxRA).

I understand the purpose of it's characteristics in SB, but it might be overestimated. ;)

T-14 Spriggan Is a beast and i understand BMP 3 has them fitted these days....

It's not, 9M133 Kornet is a 152mm calliber, BMP-3 uses 100mm gun-launcher to launch it's ATGM's which are of different type and with lesser capability. ;)

17 minutes ago, Damian90 said:

AFAIK 9M133 Kornet ATGM penetration for newest versions will range from 1100 to 1300mm RHA depending on steel target characteristics, for example hardness, and also it's design (homogeneus, spaced, composite, passive, NERA/NxRA).

I understand the purpose of it's characteristics in SB, but it might be overestimated. ;)

It's not, 9M133 Kornet is a 152mm calliber, BMP-3 uses 100mm gun-launcher to launch it's ATGM's which are of different type and with lesser capability. ;)

Maybe it works if they are very gentle and use some grease 😛😎

• Moderators
On 9/1/2019 at 10:17 AM, -Sperber- said:

Noone doubt that the 9K135 is a strong missle. Maybe stronger than the BGM71D or the AGM 114K ....

I dont know. But surely it has it's limitations ...

Yours sincerely

-Sperber-

In general, yes, the AT-14 [and next gen ATGMs] is one reason everyone is so interested in APS development.

It does say something when the US is looking to adopt APS in large numbers. Why else? Its probably a direct result of information gathered from Iraq, and also from the earlier Israeli operation in Lebanon some years ago.

Just food for thought. 🤔

10 hours ago, Volcano said:

Why else?

I think it's also partly that they've put themselves in the position of substituting 8x8 armoured trucks for heavily tracked AFVs in a potential conflict where they could not be confined to non line of sight transport and purely hull down ambush roles and might well need to retake ground. That and any tracked AFVs they do deploy stand to be grossly outnumbered. That said, the APS for Stryker has now fallen through, at least for the meantime. Did the US ever deploy a soft-kill APS?

On 9/1/2019 at 4:26 PM, -Sperber- said:

AT 14 is a really powerful ATGM penetrating the M1A2 SEPs turret front with 1511mm RHA Heat equivalent or the hull with with 2263mm RHA Heat equivalent.

It will teach you not to rely on your front armor alone ...

Yours sincerely

-Sperber-

SS_16_12_01.thumb.jpg.f6d5c058354269d81efcddb7e42bd392.jpg

SS_06_58_08.thumb.jpg.e67257b3bc490e287add3d193376a3ae.jpg

600px-M1A2_SEP_frontLOS.jpg

in SB the angle of the armour increases protection. the figures given in the SB WIKI are LOS figures from direct front. hitting with reduced inclination will result in reduced protection. e.g hitting the turret at 30 degrees instead of direct front.