Add a new waypoint (insert) to an existing route

Hoover

40 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

It may be Shift+Click.

This adds a "node" (small black dot) where the existing route can change direction.

I'm not aware of a shortcut that adds a waypoint (blue cross that can have a tactic or other change applied to it, or an "embark if .." type route attached to it, etc.).

Nor am I aware of any mechanism to convert a "node" into a waypoint.

I think this was in the Wish List.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Yeah, adding a waypoint isn't possible.

That's why I always recommend in our software training to create short routes, usually just 500m or even less. You can then always add a branching route later.

The only alternative to add waypoint M to the route connecting waypoints N with N+1 is to create a duplicate route from N  halfway to N+1 (thus creating waypoint M), and then to connect M to N+1. Once that you have laid the bypass you can delete the connection from N to N+1. Of course you would want to recreate the original route's properties, and, most importantly, a possible embark condition from N to N+1 to the new connection N to M.

you can also make prototypes. Place a "none" type waypoint somewhere on your map, which is not connected to any vehicle (this last bit isn't essential but makes things easier to see). Do a route of any type from that waypoint to another waypoint. From this second waypoint create your multiple and / or conditioned routes. Go to the first route from your first waypoint, right click and select "copy route chain" from the menu. Go to a unit or a waypoint (or select multiple waypoints) and paste. Note the prototype is a true prototype, that is any changes you make to your prototype will be applied to subsequent pasting.

if you haven't already reached a waypoint, why not add a route to the waypoint your already on your way to, then adjust the original waypoint to where tyou wanted the waypoint added at

example.   unit 4/1 route to wp 1.   waypoint 1 add route to waypoint 2.  move waypoint 1 to where you want the waypoint added to, then move aypoint 2 to where waypoint 1 was originally.  if that makes any sense.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your quick and comprehensive help. I'm not new to SteelBeasts but a greenhorn in all things regarding the editor.  As a short resume I would say the scenery editor is one of the most important features in Steelbeasts. The easier the editor is to use the more content can be generated. A feature to insert a waypoint at an arbitrary node would be very helpful. Until then, as Ssnake wrote, I have to use shorter routes.

20 hours ago, DarkAngel said:
  • Create Prototype
  • Copy route chain
  • Paste it to units (can only do it one at a time)
  • Change the prototype (you do not have to re copy)
  • Select multiple existing waypoints
  • Paste and end up with a lot of routes. Notice how the changes to the prototype are automatically applied.

Hi DarkAngel,

Prototypes are really helpful. They additionally work as a kind of documentation👍