Tanks shooting at nothing

Colebrook

And they keep shooting and shooting although there is nothing in sight.

I upload a test scenario:

Blue tanks have red tanks to the south.

Blue tanks have 2 positions, a covered position and a firing position(more to the south).

Move the blue tanks (using the proceed order) to the firing position, when they spot the red tanks wait a bit until they exchange some shots.

Retreat the blue tanks to the covered position( using the proceed order)

The red tanks will keep firing even though they have nothing in sight.

Firing bug.sce

Yes i think they are different, in  the first bug report the tank detects the enemy(because is visible), but hits the ground because gunner ia ignores that gps is higher than the gun.

In the second one the tanks are totally out of sight, however ai spots them ans starts firing.

Edited by Colebrook

• Moderators

Thanks for that report.

The AI has always been aware of a target that is concealed, to keep the AI from going completely unaware of it - it basically gives the AI short term memory. This is similar to how a human would watch a hill once a target has appeared there, to observe on whether it presents itself again.

The bug though is that instead of just watching (for a short time) the area where the target  previously appeared, the AI continues to fire at the area too. We will of course fix that.

Guys, I have one related to this. I have a scenario where I am ambushing BMP-1s, MTLBs and BTRs coming around a hill from the side with a 0.50" HMG team. What happens is the vehicles advance toward the HMG team to a point where they are still entirely screened by intervening "bumpy" terrain and both they and the HMG team just keep shooting into the intervening ground. This goes on until I bring another asset over the ridge opposite and shoot the offending vehicle from behind. Thinking about it, I have had this happen elsewhere in the same scenario, also with a ZSU-23-4, which makes for quite spectacular fireworks.

Edited by ChrisWerb

• 5 months later...

There needs to be a button to Cancel the gunners fire and return him to searching for targets or to the Commanders control.

I've lost many tanks while in plain sight of enemy tanks firing at me and my gunner is unloading all my ammo at some unknown target and I can't stop him.

Sometimes making him reload will break him but by then I'm usually dead.

IMO this is the biggest bug in the game.

Ok, I thought H told the whole platoon  to stop firing (which isn't a good thing in a firefight), instead of just my gunner.

Perhaps I can just do a quick toggle to break the gunners fixation ? Will try it and see if it breaks him (I think I may have tried this before though)

Have tried shift arrow keys in the past and my gunner has turned the turret and then back to his target again - perhaps it has changed. Haven't tried it in a while so will give it a go.

The targets are mostly in the same arc so he finds his same target again.

Will give these things a try again

Thanks

• Members

Yes, that was the idea. "[H][F]" would be the key sequence to break a loop of repeating ineffective fires.

Your gunner shouldn't fire on his own anyway, unless you give the [Shift]+[Space] command to fire and adjust; rather, I recommend to scan for targets, override the gunner until he acknowledges the new target, then release him and press [Space] to order him to fire.