Particular map package causes hang

Scrapper_511

The map editor hangs when I try to load a package I've been working on. Windows says there isn't enough memory. Offline sessions work fine, other maps seem to be unaffected. The last time I used this package I had leveled a stretch of road. Attached is a log. My hardware is in my sig and I have SB program files installed on my primary drive and map files on a secondary, both of which at about 85% capacity. I know I need to upgrade my hard drives but just in case there is something amiss here I thought I'd post this. Thanks.

DebugLog.txt

The log you attached isn't from a session where you loaded the map editor, it'll contain a line similar to this:

[21:17:03,565] CGame INFO : +--+ MEMORY USAGE INFO (LoadFileInMapEditor start):

However, it's a good bet you ran into the same issue I found in this thread, where SB uses an enormous amount of memory and drive space when working on maps that have had the elevation edited:

• Members

Okay, that's a problem then. I suppose you converted an old map, and then immediately went forward with road leveling and other high-res changes? That's when the HNT file gets generated, and that in turn is based on the 78cm resolution process. So there's not really a way around big map sizes in such a case. How much RAM does your machine have?

I could imagine that the WIndows message is based on the following combination - the map in its uncompressed state is rather big, and Windows wants to allocate swap space on the same disk, and the disk is almost full. Workaround: Locate a few really big files (other than the map, or Windows system files, of course), and move them (temporarily) to the other disk to free up space on C :

Then try and open the map in the editor, and publish it.

Then move back the files that went to the other drive to free up space. That way you can at least salvage your work up to this point.

This is only a temporary workaround. As soon as you save the map as a new delta, and continue leveling roads, or flattening the ground under buildings, or build ramps, etc., the delta map will again inflate to the 65 GByte size because it needs to create the high-res elevation map (.HNT file), there's no way around that.

13 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

This is only a temporary workaround. As soon as you save the map as a new delta, and continue leveling roads, or flattening the ground under buildings, or build ramps, etc., the delta map will again inflate to the 65 GByte size because it needs to create the high-res elevation map (.HNT file), there's no way around that.

I suspected something like this was happening. Hardware upgrade is the solution but thanks for the workaround suggestions. I have 16GB of RAM, BTW.

• Members

That should be enough, actually. But the Steel Beasts process will allocate the full 65 GByte+ to work on the map, and that means that it'll want to reserve about 50 GByte temporary disk space. It may be enough to add one SSD to your system. I would then move all Steel Beasts data to that new SSD (and whatever else you have that needs fast data transfer), so you would not have to rebuild your entire computer, actually.