ben

EDIT

It does eventually load to menu, but take a lot longer than another similar machine.

The full screen display option causes the many to get stuck, and cannot alt tab out to close SB.  Have to force a restart.  Tried vsync on and off.

16 minutes ago, ben said:

Hi, a fresh instal of v4.159 on a new machine, windows 10, it hangs at the splash screen every time

Please try to start SB in  'Safe Mode'( Start> eSim Games> Troubleshooting>  Steel Beasts Pro PE (safe mode)),  and see if error still exists

Hi

Thanks

Eventually it does load to the menus, even in normal mode, but seems to take way longer than my other machine.

Now once I get in and change display options to full screen, it hangs again with a black bar at bottom.

Very strange as my other similar machine always run it without issues!

image.jpg

• Members

You may be better off using the --fullscreenwindow command line option.

Please use this forum's search function (search for "--fullscreen", the two leading dashes are important). I explained it in detail elsewhere, probably with pictures, typing everything up dates a bit of time.

I have FIXED the full screen problem, by copying my options.dat file from the other PC.

This made me think there may be a bug when the new options.dat is generated corrupted?

I have not fixed the slow load times, it takes 33 seconds on the splash screen (the random pictures added in 4.1), my older system only takes 7 seconds.

Any ideas?  New system has 32gb RAM vs 16GB, could this be the reason?

I know this sounds basic but will mention it anyway...

My laptops almost always have both intel and nVidia cards.  Now and then a new one will default a game to Intel and I have to explicitly tell it to use nVidia.  The first symptom of this is very long game load times.

1 hour ago, thewood said:

I know this sounds basic but will mention it anyway...

My laptops almost always have both intel and nVidia cards.  Now and then a new one will default a game to Intel and I have to explicitly tell it to use nVidia.  The first symptom of this is very long game load times.

Good idea, but only 1 GPU in this system 

• Members

I agree, although the speed benefit of M2 SSDs is often overestimated in everyday operations as they offer not appreciable advantage over SATA SSDs when reading many small files (which is typical for most application starts). But I don't want to spin doctor this as "normal", it clearly isn't.

Start Steel Beasts on both machines in "debug" mode (you'll find the icon for that in the "Troubleshooting" folder). Then compare both debugLog.txt files line by line. Each line has a time stamp that lets you calculate how many seconds are used for each consecutive program step. This may give us a clue where the biggest differences happen. If we're lucky, it's just one operation, and then we can look into what that step does and what hardware and/or deriver dependencies exist.

Also, since Windows uses more or less complex caching strategies, we can't rule out that they are at play as well if you start Steel Beasts more often on the nominally slower machine.

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Also, since Windows uses more or less complex caching strategies, we can't rule out that they are at play as well if you start Steel Beasts more often on the nominally slower machine.

Hi Ssnake,  I think you have made a direct hit!  Windows 10 Cache behaviour.

After running the program multiple times during this troubleshooting (over 20 times now) the delay has gradually reduced to normal!

(Maybe you could adjust my rather silly thread title to something like  "FIXED, Steel beasts loads slowly at first on a new Win10 install")

Now when comparing times from debug mode;  System1 loads to menu in 6.3 seconds, and System2 in 10.6.

The only difference to installations is System1 has the Map Packages on a separate SSD from the Program.

Sure enough, when I moved the Maps on System2 to a different SSD, the load to menu time is done to 5.9 seconds.

So in my case having maps on a separate physical SSD has a big speed benefit on initial loading times.

6 hours ago, thewood said:

Interesting about the map packages' location being having that big of an impact.  Are the files on similar SSDs like one SATA and the M2, etc.? 

Correct the maps are now on a SATA ssd, windows and SB on a pcie m.2

The speed difference may still be due to windows10 and caching

i may try a clean install of Windows and all drivers