Steel Beasts Gold Graphics Glitch

CptHrki

13 hours ago, Ssnake said:

No friends, no relatives with a credit card that could make the purchase for you in our shop?

Well. I'm going to look into options to replace the web shop software, and with it, to expand our payment options. But it'll take a while.

I've managed to arange something privately so I'll get SB but I assume expanding your options will be good for many other people.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 6:45 PM, CptHrki said:

Late reply but I managed to get it normal with some DgVoodoo Direct3D hooks :)

I'm honestly surprised it runs normal without a VM but everything is possible I guess. 

I know you can't exactly provide tech support for a 20 year old game, I just thought someone like Rotar might know what's up considering he has some videos of SB1 online.

Thanks anyway though, having fun already!

how did you get it to work? I'm trying to run it with dxwnd and dgvoodoo but the textures still appear all piexly for me. can you detail the steps you used to get it to run?

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The textures appear pixely to you because they are/were. Steel Beasts Gold uses a software 3D renderer, your Voodoo wrapper won't help you with that.

Is there any way i can fix it? I'd love to be able to play this because due to where I live (outside the US) I can't get the pro PE version I've drooled over for years..if there isn't then that's fine; I'll just play M1 Tank Platoon 2 then

12 minutes ago, dsmart said:

Is there any way i can fix it? I'd love to be able to play this because due to where I live (outside the US) I can't get the pro PE version I've drooled over for years..if there isn't then that's fine; I'll just play M1 Tank Platoon 2 then

Take a screen shot of what you are seeing please.  Then we can actually see and say if there is anything wrong there.    

Steelbeast gold  is very old... and it is pixelated like this.  If what you are seeing is like this.  Then that is how the actual game was back then.  That cannot be helped.  

demo-steelbeasts_l3.jpgss10.jpg

Edited by Lumituisku

• Members
48 minutes ago, dsmart said:

due to where I live (outside the US) I can't get the pro PE version I've drooled over for years..

...why?

Unless you're from an embargo country such as Iran, North Korea or some such, we have no restrictions on sales. We don't ship physical items into every country, depending on the experiences that we made with disappearing shipments, but there's always the time-based licenses which require no shipment at all.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, Lumituisku said:

Take a screen shot of what you are seeing please.  Then we can actually see and say if there is anything wrong there.    

Steelbeast gold  is very old... and it is pixelated like this.  If what you are seeing is like this.  Then that is how the actual game was back then.  That cannot be helped.  

demo-steelbeasts_l3.jpgss10.jpg

1008015682_Screenshot(1).png.8feba45a9359f59efa80814cdc125401.png

This is what I'm seeing. I'm having the same problem with the vehicle textures being all garbled. And sorry about the rushed reply; was really excited to get this running 

On 10/11/2019 at 11:56 AM, Ssnake said:

...why?

Unless you're from an embargo country such as Iran, North Korea or some such, we have no restrictions on sales. We don't ship physical items into every country, depending on the experiences that we made with disappearing shipments, but there's always the time-based licenses which require no shipment at all.

i don't have a credit card atm and due to circumstances it's gonna be a good while before i get one. I'm quite new to the sim community because i hope to join the US Armed Forces (Air Force mostly) after I'm finished with college 

Edited by dsmart

On 10/16/2019 at 3:47 PM, Ssnake said:

Fair enough, just wanted to make sure that there was an imagined obstacle that can actually be overcome or bypassed.

Understandable. I just wanted to know how he got the game working because id love to finally play steel beasts

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2019 at 7:00 AM, Ssnake said:

No friends, no relatives with a credit card that could make the purchase for you in our shop?

Well. I'm going to look into options to replace the web shop software, and with it, to expand our payment options. But it'll take a while.

Will it support Alipay or WeChat payment?

I hope so

3 hours ago, user312341 said:

I used it on DXWnd under Windows 8.1 and it worked just fine. 

My man, I've gotten it working the same day with dxwnd + dgvoodoo and been playing since. 125 USD isn't alot for what PRO PE offers, but how much better would it be to be able to buy individual vehicles? I'd buy a Leo 2 in a heartbeat, that's what I'm interested in. Like DCS, the perfect bussiness model. Oh well, maybe one day. Or waiting for a discount hehe

• Members

You can have SB Pro PE for a full year for just $39.50

Even if you play it for three years without interruptions, you'd still have spent less money on time-based licenses than on a classic license. Plus, no upgrade fees.

If you're still bringing up "but, $125.-" my working theory is that no matter how cheap we'd make the license, you still wouldn't buy. So please spare me any "helpful suggestions" how we should "adapt the business model" by imitating what other companies do and that then, surely, like countless other new customers, you'd suddenly buy.

This was brought up years ago by freeloaders and cheapskates as an argument against the classic license. I suspected that it was baloney, but we added the offer for time-based licenses at a third of the price anyway. Like I predicted seven years ago, the argument is still being brought up by some, just like on any other occasion when we reduced the price of the classic license for a short time.

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

You can have SB Pro PE for a full year for just $39.50

Even if you play it for three years without interruptions, you'd still have spent less money on time-based licenses than on a classic license. Plus, no upgrade fees.

If you're still bringing up "but, $125.-" my working theory is that no matter how cheap we'd make the license, you still wouldn't buy. So please spare me any "helpful suggestions" how we should "adapt the business model" by imitating what other companies do and that then, surely, like countless other new customers, you'd suddenly buy.

This was brought up years ago by freeloaders and cheapskates as an argument against the classic license. I suspected that it was baloney, but we added the offer for time-based licenses at a third of the price anyway. Like I predicted seven years ago, the argument is still being brought up by some, just like on any other occasion when we reduced the price of the classic license for a short time.

I'm sorry Ssnake, I've said I'm fine with your pricing. You seem to always get mad around these matters (maybe you're not, but you sound like it) so I really don't want you to think badly of me for what was merely a transient thought. Of course I'm no one to tell you how to sell your game, I won't pretend like I can. And on that topic, I will surely get a timed license. 

• Members

Maybe I came across more harsh than intended - if so, I'm sorry.

The point of pricing has been raised more times than I care to remember in the last 15 years, and the arguments are often very similar if not identical; maybe some of the people who bring them up genuinely think that they have a genius business idea that we never thought about ("lower the price, and you'll sell more, to make up for the loss" - yeah, that's economy 101 ... but only works if there's elasticity in the price response curve, an important constraint that few bother to learn because it's usually there - but to every rule there's an exception). And then there's the group of people who want to frame the discussion in a way that it's all about the $125.- option when in fact the one-year license is on offer for almost eight years now.

I'm fine with anyone saying that he's just not willing to pay X for our product. I just don't like if it's clad in unsolicited advice how I could run my business better, pretending to render assistance (and then reacting indignant if I politely refuse to take the advice).

11 hours ago, CptHrki said:

My man, I've gotten it working the same day with dxwnd + dgvoodoo and been playing since. 125 USD isn't alot for what PRO PE offers, but how much better would it be to be able to buy individual vehicles? I'd buy a Leo 2 in a heartbeat, that's what I'm interested in. Like DCS, the perfect bussiness model. Oh well, maybe one day. Or waiting for a discount hehe

From a players perspective, I don't think DCS's is "a perfect bussinessmodel" (maybe for ED it is) when you want to play online with friends...

25 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Maybe I came across more harsh than intended - if so, I'm sorry.

The point of pricing has been raised more times than I care to remember in the last 15 years, and the arguments are often very similar if not identical; maybe some of the people who bring them up genuinely think that they have a genius business idea that we never thought about ("lower the price, and you'll sell more, to make up for the loss" - yeah, that's economy 101 ... but only works if there's elasticity in the price response curve, an important constraint that few bother to learn because it's usually there - but to every rule there's an exception). And then there's the group of people who want to frame the discussion in a way that it's all about the $125.- option when in fact the one-year license is on offer for almost eight years now.

I'm fine with anyone saying that he's just not willing to pay X for our product. I just don't like if it's clad in unsolicited advice how I could run my business better, pretending to render assistance (and then reacting indignant if I politely refuse to take the advice).

Thank you, and I understand where you're coming from. I guess that's just how it is when people have direct contact to the person in charge. 

1 minute ago, Grenny said:

From a players perspective, I don't think DCS's is "a perfect bussinessmodel" (maybe for ED it is) when you want to play online with friends...

I don't really know what you mean by this, but anyone can play with anyone else online regardless of which aircraft they have purchased (even if it's none, since the Su-25T is free). Anyway, random thought as I've said, not really even a point for discussion. As for the og topic, I got SB Gold running so thanks to everyone for your input. 

• 9 months later...

I hope it's ok to bump an old-ish thread with another solution... OG Steel Beasts is too fun to just abandon. I have it installed alongside PE3 and 4 and you should too if you want.

I used to be able to play just with DXWnd, but my latest system gave me the "rainbow" colors. This latest combination works on both of my Windows 10 systems so I figured I'd drop it here.  I'm using DXWnd and dgVoodoo together. Here are my settings, mostly to taste, but the one crucial aspect is disabling the DirectX hooks in DXWnd. Bear in mind that once set up, you can play hassle-free with no extra fuckery. Make a custom shortcut with the proper icon, etc.

Cheers

Steel beasts Settings.jpg

SteelBeastsWindows10.jpg

Edited by SippyCup