CS 6: Last Stand at Steinholz

ShotMagnet

The last Counterstroke scenario went off last night, with NATO thoroughly pounding the Russkies and placing more units in the sleepy (and now burning) town of Steinholz than the enemy.

This is not to say that everything went swimmingly for NATO. There were a lot of burning US and German tanks by the time everything was said and done, and yours truly managed to fox the despicable imperialists four or five times. If my guys had been less interested in admiring NATO camouflage and more interested in shooting the enemy then this one might have ended differently, but there we are. At that, units under my command still racked up an impressive tally; to include two infantry kills as NATO units screaming for the sleepy and now-burning town of Steinholz raced blindly past some infantry and paid for their haste.

Mog and Sean did a lot of damage as well, it was fun looking through F8 as their guys from perfect ambush positions drew down on an enemy that didn't see them and...

You guessed, admired the camouflage. Sigh. Still, lots of fun, lots of burning armor and a finish that wasn't cake for NATO.

Both sides were fighting with a handicap, by the way.

9erRed, who commanded every mission in the Fulda Gap campaign, every mission in First Clash, and almost every mission in Counterstroke this time missed this one because his computer was having a hissy-fit of some sort. WP was sorry to lose him, had we another man we might have pulled this one out. Or sat and admired camouflage, stupid AI...

GaryOwen dropped like five seconds into the mission, too; which left both sides without their commanders (who managed just the same to turn this one into an interesting CPX by staying in TS and managing the battle as if they were talking to commanders through field radios). Pretty cool, though the fun-factor had to have been lacking.

A big thanks to Sean for hosting these, without him and the other volunteers who have the means and are willing to host these larger MP missions, Friday nights and large campaigns wouldn't be possible.

A big thanks also to GaryOwen, who created space for all participants on his 1stUSVC site and who created special fora for each of the teams. People making this sort of extra effort are what makes doing this worthwhile. Thanks again.

Big thanks as well to 9erRed, who spent a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of time plotting and planning and doing his utmost to nullify the disadvantages that non-crewable vehicles bear when going up against the crewed. He put in hours of work before each mission placing graphics and assigning tasks, and his hard work paid off handsomely in the first four mission.

Thank you also to everyone who participated. A campaign with no players isn't a campaign.

Good fun, great fights, lots of adrenaline. Again, thanks.

Shot

GaryOwen dropped like five seconds into the mission

Actually, I dropped about 10 minutes from ENDEX. So I got to shoot a couple rounds into an impervious T-80 before it turned around, sneezed, and broke my glass jaw.

I think that everyone who played at least one of the scenarios had a good time. The scenarios were non-Ghey and all participants put up a good fight.

Thanks for the effort.

• 3 weeks later...

Once again, thanks a lot for posting the AARs.

I've only had time to look at a couple, but I love it.

Unfortunately, real life hit me like a ton of bricks a few weeks ago so I haven't been able to play much lately (or online at all), but I look foward to joining you when things calm down (likely February).

Heck, I even got a new machine to play it on at high resolution (gaming laptop), and still haven't done a real mission on it yet (I assume the higher res will make target recognition at long range easier, at least).

Anyway, happy holidays, and be seeing you. :)

Itkovian

No worries. RL has no regard for we who would like to hunch before our keyboards and shut out the non-virtual world.

Shot

Or make a habit of looking for good battle positions while travelling. :)

But thanks, and merry christmas everyone. :)

Itkovian

P.S. Vermont makes piss-poor tank country, generally speaking. Probably why the Guard moved to Mountain Infantry a few years back. :)