DUMMY PILOT ON BRIDGE

jena73

It's been a while since I dealt with a bridge...

Try using a route that takes them across in "column" formation, under "assault" or "march" orders, "close" spacing, with path-finding set to follow roads.

Make the route long enough on the far side, so that the unit can cross before "unfolding" into another formation.  Admittedly this part is poorly handled IIRC.

Slow movement across a bridge is probably intentional.  Armored fighting vehicles and bridges have a history of not getting along very well.  The driver would be very careful while crossing.

1 hour ago, jena73 said:

EVERY TIME, IN EVERY SCENARIOS I HAVE PROBLEM...MY TANK OR MY PLATOON WHEN ORDER HAVE BIG TROUBLE TO PASS TROUGH ANY BRIDGE..THEY ARE VERY STUPID....ALWAYS FALL IN THE RIVER OR SPEND MINUTES TO GO ACRSSO THE BRIDGE...VERY FRUSTRATING

Basicly I can just repeat what Maj. Hans said:

Use the correct formation to cross that bridge:  column

Leave enough space in front and after the bridge so that all vehicle have crossed BEFORE they have to start changing formation.

If the terrain is difficult, reduce speed and unit spacing.

Keeping that in mind, crossing bridges is no issue and works nearly 100%.

If you give stupid orders, don't expect anything but a stupid result.

Just now, jena73 said:

correct, but its strange:

i gave correct order...march, column, slow..but all go bad...mah!

Then post a screnshot of your paths setup. Or the scenario you are using.

Can be something wrong with the map.

Just saying, it works firn on my side and for most other players I know ...

Why do the AI drivers keep driving through the walls on the bridges?  Have we got any new railway bridge models yet with rails instead of roads?   Well done to the team for the new updates, the game looks so much better now. 

Edited by Funduro

1 hour ago, Funduro said:

Why do the AI drivers keep driving through the walls on the bridges?  Have we got any new railway bridge models yet with rails instead of roads?   Well done to the team for the new updates, the game looks so much better now. 

Railwail bridges have rails on it instead of road...I mean thats the point of a railway bridge.

The small bridges with the walls left and right, are a bit to narrow for 2-way tank traffic....so to avoid AI driving problems, they are not a physical obstacle in the game. Doesn't look good, but it works.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:29 AM, Gibsonm said:

Even though the PDF was written a little while ago in terms of versioning, the points / process remain the same.

I also found the ToyguyVT tutorial videos you linked to in your "Starter Pack" really helpful - I found them particularly so with the control logic - although old now (2011), they really helped flesh out the manual for me.

PS: If you start with these, it's necessary to work your way through all of them because the next one in the series usually contains useful corrections and clarifications from the SB Forum.

Edited by ChrisWerb
Senility

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

If it's any consolation, the bridges are scheduled for a facelifting.

Good news indeed!

Would be better if path over walled bridges was put on centerline. This would make bridgelaying over blown spans more accurate and prevent those unexpected "swerves" happening both to AI and players own vehicles.  Also, it would look nicer to not have crossing vehicles ploughing through the breastwork of the bridges by default.

Lastly has anyone else had the issue of saving a game with vehicles on a bridge, subsequently reloading the game and finding the vehicles have dropped through the bridge and drowned?

Or should I console myself by putting this in the wishlist thread?

cheers

Trackpin

6 hours ago, Trackpin said:

Would be better if path over walled bridges was put on centerline. This would make bridgelaying over blown spans more accurate and prevent those unexpected "swerves" happening both to AI and players own vehicles.  Also, it would look nicer to not have crossing vehicles ploughing through the breastwork of the bridges by default.

cheers

Trackpin

That may be good in the specific case of launching an AVLB but perhpas not more generally.

If you have traffic using a working bridge, do you really want traffic (military / civilian) going either way both trying to use the centre line?

• Members
15 hours ago, Trackpin said:

has anyone else had the issue of saving a game with vehicles on a bridge, subsequently reloading the game and finding the vehicles have dropped through the bridge and drowned?

Or should I console myself by putting this in the wishlist thread?

Issues like this are best presented in the Support forum, as a bug report.