Flatten under selected item

ht-57

I was trying this new feature out and it looks/ works gr8 until I save it.

When reopening map the areas I "flattened" reverted back to the original state, I know the map edit did "save"  as a building I changed and some barriers that I added

were present.

I did this on "mantruffel's ardennes st-vith" map which is older. I had the smoothing box checked /elevation  0/ and used three different border settings on the five buildings 

that I used this on.

Is there something I am missing the save processes?

So I did as you suggested, and it worked.

Being my first foray into terrain modding, I saw that saving modified file to a "delta" it became a DHNT file that is 60 gigs, leaving me with approx 34 g on that drive.

@ this point my map folder is 73g along with the main sb pro folder = 79g.

All i did was flatten under one barn.

Being the delta is so large it takes awhile for it to save and load even tho its on its own dedicated ssd.

I do love the ability to mod the terrain as it really brings the immersion factor to a whole new level. so it looks like Ill be putting the  "SB maps" folder on its own 500g ssd.

1- If I go to do some more terrain modding is it going to require another 60 worth of space to save the changes?

2- Is there anyway to mod terrain and have it "save" - overwrite the file I'm working from, Like what the mission editor has, or is there a method I'm unaware of for saving modded terrain?

3- Is it possible to move the "map" folder to another drive (change the target) without reinstalling sb pro?

b-4

b4.thumb.JPG.c4b80c32a1d66c0b67e1c89d8dc083f2.JPG

after

after.thumb.JPG.4d28c9200e40718f18c067318d5ddcfe.JPG

Edited by ht-57

• Members
21 hours ago, ht-57 said:

So I did as you suggested, and it worked.

Being my first foray into terrain modding, I saw that saving modified file to a "delta" it became a DHNT file that is 60 gigs, leaving me with approx 34 g on that drive.All i did was flatten under one barn.

Being the delta is so large it takes awhile for it to save and load even tho its on its own dedicated ssd.

Yeah, as soon as you perform a single operation that involves terrain profile modification - flattening under buildings, leveling roads, you name it - the high resolution mesh needs to be created (for the whole map). That consumes a lot of memory.

When publishing such a map the high-res data will get compressed, and the map size will shrink again. but for every map that you keep unpublished and which you edit with high-res operations you'll have to reserve about 50...80 GByte additional disk space. There's no way around that.

@ this point my map folder is 73g along with the main sb pro folder = 79g.
I do love the ability to mod the terrain as it really brings the immersion factor to a whole new level. so it looks like Ill be putting the  "SB maps" folder on its own 500g ssd.

1- If I go to do some more terrain modding is it going to require another 60 worth of space to save the changes?

2- Is there anyway to mod terrain and have it "save" - overwrite the file I'm working from, Like what the mission editor has, or is there a method I'm unaware of for saving modded terrain?

3- Is it possible to move the "map" folder to another drive (change the target) without reinstalling sb pro?

1. As long as you perform more high-res operation on the same map, no additional disk space is needed (that would be crazy). No. What takes the space is the one-time conversion of the height map into a high-res object, all further editing of the map is "free" (except that the more high-res elevation changes you have in it, the less well it compresses afterwards (but that's a rather theoretical and very fine point))
  2. Not sure if I understand your question. A map that has been "published" can no longer be edited/overwritten. You have to save it as a new map (but if can be a disk space-saving "Delta map"). But you can save your map work as multiple Delta variants (e.g. ..._1a, _1b, _1c, ... until you're satisfied). Then you delete all previous versions but the latest. If a scenario complains that its map is missing (it will tell you the name and map UID), you then pick the "replace" function and pick the latest variant, save the mission again, done.
  3. Yes.

Copy the whole folder to the new drive. Then, in Steel Beasts, go to the Options menu / File Patch and there pick the new location. Then, you delete the old Map Packages directory. The point is, you can't pick the new folder as long as certain key maps aren't there, so the "Copy first, then delete" method is reliable and easy to understand, I hope

Rodger!

Tyvm Ssnake for taking the time to answer my questions!

As for #2- given the "save" options  I attempted "save as existing" and sbpro hung up and I had to force it to shut down.  Then I tried "save as new delta" which worked. But that event is what made me realize I was running out of drive space.

So, going forward. For the clarity of my own understanding- I have amazon primed another samsung 850evo, this one with 1 tb. so when I get my "maps" folder copied on it and I'm working on a project. I then can save my work on said map by choosing "save as existing"  (If I don't need a saved variant)  then continue editing,rinse and repeat until I'm finished, then publish.

If I wanted to save a certain variant before further editing, I would choose the "save as new delta Package"

I think I got this now- new features = new methods

save.JPG.e83b46c3c38988ed8639250c98c2bf0a.JPG

• Members

Yes. :)

I suppose, what happens is if you select "save as existing" is that Windows attempts to write everything into a temporary file and only then then deletes the original and renames the temporary file and changes its file entry to belong to the original folder. If there isn't enough disk space the "Save as existing" fails (not sure though why/how an unpublished map package with HNT file in it can still be saved as a new delta).