what does the paging file figure mean? [RESOLVED]

peter winship

Perhaps a stupid question - if so, sorry. Just got the sim again - having lost all my dongles etc a long time ago. Bought 4.1 from scratch. I'm running the game with 16GB of ram and a GTX1660 card with 6GB video ram - so far no issues. But, I'm wondering about the paging file line when I select 'show framerate'.  You get an overlay showing the framerate - mine hovers around 30fps - then three lines showing 'process', 'physical memory' and 'paging file'. What I'm wondering is what to make of these - in particular, does a reading showing a max use of around 10GB of paging file indicate that the game is using around 10GB of a windows swap file?  And if I were to add RAM to get it up to 32GB of ram would this stop any use of a windows swap file?  Many thanks to anyone who knows the answer. 

• Members

I think what you're seeing is allocated memory (which is not necessarily being used in full). Steel Beasts attempts to hold all relevant data in RAM and video memory for the best performance possible. But the AAR data, for example, are also written to disk - specifically, into a temporary file which gets then moved and renamed if you choose to save the AAR file when prompted for it; that's probably where the "swap disk usage" is coming from. If Steel Beasts really were to use the swap disk while running, the frame rate would no longer be in the 30s but rather in the low single digit range.

For typical scenarios your RAM and VRAM amounts are absolutely adequate and I expect no significant performance boost by going to 32 GByte with RAM.