How To Use MLRS And Mortars

Vaughan

Hi All,

I am fairly new to Steel Beasts and have purchased version 4.161, in which I have already spent a number of hours, especially in the tutorials for the various vehicles.  One area I still don't understand is how to employ MLRS rocket artillery and mortars, even when it is available as an option in the right click "Call For Fire" Option on the map, because when I do try to request this type of supporting fire the message at the location remains at "Awaiting Approval" the other types of artillery such as conventional artillery and the air strike show a counter counting down to when the shells or bombs will reach their target.  I have looked through the manual and even searched the web, but haven't found a satisfactory answer. 

There is an artillery tutorial which makes MLRS and mortar support available, but could not figure out how to use it, even though it is available.  Using the conventional artillery, HE, ICM, FASCAM and the airstrike was possible, especially at the pre-placed trp points on the map.

One thing I was able to work out, through the scenario editor was to attach a trigger to the MLRS support and when activated, seemed to produce a barrage on the pre-selected location.  Is this the only way to setup MLRS and mortar support for the commander to use during the scenario, even though it is available through the right click "Call For Fire" option during the scenario?

Is there another way to use MLRS and mortars especially during the scenario, otherwise does it somehow need to be setup during the briefing?

Thanks in advance

Vaughan

Hello!

I am fairly new to Steel Beasts and have purchased version 4.161, in which I have already spent a number of hours, especially in the tutorials for the various vehicles.  One area I still don't understand is how to employ MLRS rocket artillery and mortars, even when it is available as an option in the right click "Call For Fire" Option on the map, because when I do try to request this type of supporting fire the message at the location remains at "Awaiting Approval" the other types of artillery such as conventional artillery and the air strike show a counter counting down to when the shells or bombs will reach their target.

-MLRS or mortar unit should be part of scenario, e.g. present on the map, and intended target must  be in its range. Also firing unit  should be static(e.g. not in  the route);   infantry mortar team  must be dismounted from  its carrier vehicle. In all  other aspects  MLRS and  mortar are not so much different from   all other arty,  albeit MLRS can fire only full salvos  and is unable to execute "Adjust fire"-type missions.

There is an artillery tutorial which makes MLRS and mortar support available, but could not figure out how to use it, even though it is available.  Using the conventional artillery, HE, ICM, FASCAM and the airstrike was possible, especially at the pre-placed trp points on the map.

-It is quite strange if you can see  rocket arty and mortars  options in   Support tutorials, since they should not be available there.

One thing I was able to work out, through the scenario editor was to attach a trigger to the MLRS support and when activated, seemed to produce a barrage on the pre-selected location.  Is this the only way to setup MLRS and mortar support for the commander to use during the scenario, even though it is available through the right click "Call For Fire" option during the scenario?

-Well,   other option is to place  MLRS unit  on to the map. You can do  this   in the Mission Editor:  right click on selected position>New unit>Artillery>M270 MLRS.

10 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Hi Jartsev,

Thank you for your response, so the MLRS battery and mortar battery and must be a part of the scenario as units then, I'll give that a try.

Kind Regards

Vaughan Beckwith

Admittedly there is something wrong  with existing  arty tutorials-  call-for-fire dialog shows some options, which shouldn't be there.  We will try to investigate this.

Remember that artillery systems minimum ranges are also modelled in SB. The GMLRS has a minimum range of 15km in real life, so presumably the legacy unguided rounds provided for the MLRS in SB have a pretty significant minimum range too. I ran into this problem which a user kindly pointed out to me when using Assegai rounds from an in-game Pzh 2000 in one of my own scenarios. Another reason your mission is stuck at awaiting permission can be that there are insufficient tubes or MRLs available at that moment due to being committed to other fire missions or (I believe, where off map artillery is concerned) to the units displacing to model counter-battery avoidance "shoot and scoot" tactics.