Explosion, smoke and dusts missing-randomly happens

Assassin 7

Yesterday while hosting a multiplayer mission, this happened. This is the second time that I have seen this. The AAR had all the details such as smoke. The guy that was playing could see everything normal. I do not have any mods installed. This seems to be a random thing, also a few others have seen this too. I didn’t do any reshading and modification to my installation files. I do not have 4.023 installed either, was removed completely after demonstrating another reported bug. I do not have anything else to provide. 

33 minutes ago, Assassin 7 said:

Yesterday while hosting a multiplayer mission, this happened. This is the second time that I have seen this. The AAR had all the details such as smoke. The guy that was playing could see everything normal. I do not have any mods installed. This seems to be a random thing, also a few others have seen this too. I didn’t do any reshading and modification to my installation files. I do not have 4.023 installed either, was removed completely after demonstrating another reported bug. I do not have anything else to provide. 

Ok, thaks we will try to investigate this,  but from  description initially  it sounds like a kind of network problem.

P.S. Scenario or map where issue was seen would very handy.

• Moderators

We would need a test scenario for this, and more information.

No one has yet to observe anything like this before now, at least it hasn't been reported, and this includes the Beta team. So if you 'and others' have seen something like this, then we need more specific information and a test scenario.

The only time I have ever see particle effects not appear is when the particlesystem.mrf is modified in any way, then it will not load properly. Not saying that is what is happening here, but more information is needed before anything can be done about it.

The easiest thing to try is (if someone is having this issue), take the attached file and place it in your ...\misc folder, and it will ask to overwrite.  Make sure the date and time is the same as the existing one, if it isn't then it has been altered in some way and that would explain it. Either way, you can give it a try.

-----------------------

Besides that, there is nothing relating to the particle system that is sent over a network for network games (the particle system data is not transferred over the net at all); the particles are ran locally from the user's machine. IIRC the data sent over the internet deals purely with other things, such as rounds flying through the air, and impacting targets, or vehicles moving around in the world, but beyond that the particles are generated locally from those events. Anything based on random numbers (like popping turrets) are generated from a random seed that is shared across the network. So, it wouldn't be network related, unless entire events are missing due to poor network connection (or a bug of some other kind, obviously).

particlesystem.mrf

21 minutes ago, Volcano said:

We would need a test scenario for this, and more information.

No one has yet to observe anything like this before now, at least it hasn't been reported, and this includes the Beta team. So if you 'and others' have seen something like this, then we need more specific information and a test scenario.

The only time I have ever see particle effects not appear is when the particlesystem.mrf is modified in any way, then it will not load properly. Not saying that is what is happening here, but more information is needed before anything can be done about it.

The easiest thing to try is (if someone is having this issue), take the attached file and place it in your ...\misc folder, and it will ask to overwrite.  Make sure the date and time is the same as the existing one, if it isn't then it has been altered in some way and that would explain it. Either way, you can give it a try.

-----------------------

Besides that, there is nothing relating to the particle system that is sent over a network for network games (the particle system data is not transferred over the net at all); the particles are ran locally from the user's machine. IIRC the data sent over the internet deals purely with other things, such as rounds flying through the air, and impacting targets, or vehicles moving around in the world, but beyond that the particles are generated locally from those events. Anything based on random numbers (like popping turrets) are generated from a random seed that is shared across the network. So, it wouldn't be network related, unless entire events are missing due to poor network connection (or a bug of some other kind, obviously).

particlesystem.mrf 350.35 kB · 0 downloads

will let you know if any issues come up

I think I have been befuddled by this same thing Assasin reports here, before.  There has been times when things haven't made sense as if something was missing.

I would like to ask few clarifications from Assasin or those others who have seen this happen.  

- Would an example be that your vehicle sometimes when hit by enemy just dies or gets damaged without any noise or explosion?

- Or that when you shoot at target on far distance.  You might think you have missed the target because no explosion? 

Oh then I have observation from game long ago. During a small mission with friend. He was my gunner on bmp2 and I was commander we both or at least he was standing (I may have went to sights or map just prior to moment when all of sudden I hear a missile fly sound and he dies.  But there was no explosion.  No events registered to AAR.   But the missile that was launched  is visible during mid-flight in AAR just no event's of it being fired nor hitting anything.  And a my vehicle just magically got Gunner damage without even event on AAR.       

From AAR you can see

00:13:29 -  At the south east end of combat area   lone BMP-2 facing west.   - Laucnches missile towards My bmp-2

Oddly..  Gunner even when he was killed in the mission still seems to be standing afterwards until my vehicle is killed by another enemy from behind. 

-> Problem.  That gunner died, doesn't show anywhere at all.  You have to take my and perhaps my friends word for that to be so.

I posted this here because there also wasn't any sound of explosion or any kind of que of damage besides missile flight sound. 

I use no mods or have modified SB anyway.

SS_06_50_59.jpg

SS_06_48_40.jpg

SS_06_47_57.jpg

SS_06_47_39.jpg

4.1 Tanks Pro Pe (Bmp-2)_10688_083119LUMI-PC0622.aar 4.1 Tanks Pro Pe (Bmp-2).sce_10_08-31-19_06_22_48.htm

4.1 Tanks Pro Pe (Bmp-2).sce

Edited by Lumituisku
Added mission where this happened. It is not modified afterwards.

• Moderators

Ah yes, the dust will not be present if the ground saturation is greater than a certain amount, of if it is raining for a certain amount of time.

Also, AARs don't show explosions all the time, that is intentional. Every particle effect present in the AAR takes space in the AAR file. A lot of them were removed (except for essentials) to cut down on the file size.

That said, I am curious about explosions missing in the execution phase (that is the fire, not the dust).

I seen no explosions, dust, fire and smoke trails what so ever. I popped smoke and heard the sound but couldn’t see the multi spectrum smoke. It was like play SB with just the terrain, vehicles and infantry. That’s all I could see. But my AAR showed everything 

Edited by Assassin 7

• Moderators
On 10/26/2019 at 8:17 AM, Assassin 7 said:

I seen no explosions, dust, fire and smoke trails what so ever. I popped smoke and heard the sound but couldn’t see the multi spectrum smoke. It was like play SB with just the terrain, vehicles and infantry. That’s all I could see. But my AAR showed everything 

OK, yeah, that's bad. That sounds like something was wrong with the particle effect file. Hopefully it will work now with that file.