Terrain Building Arma 3 Experience for Mil History Project

G241

I am seeking to  make a  video of one of the last set piece battles of  WWII  in  July  1945..   The  Australian 7th Division amphibious assault on the  town of Balikpapan on the Island of Borneo,  then Dutch East Indies now Indonesia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Balikpapan_(1945)   It was a Divisional operation  but I am seeking to highlight one company, that of my  father, who had the key  task of talking the vital ground on the first day of the operation.   I  wish to  try and  use Arma 3 as basis for simulating the attack and  make a video of that footage using the after action  report  in the Battalions War Diary as the  basis     I  have investigated making  new  terrain  from  height maps in  Arma 3  Tools and associated programs  but it  seems  complex to an  ex Infantryman.  Looking for a more experienced terrain  builder who may  be  interested in the project.

10 minutes ago, G241 said:

Yes   thank  you  ....  I have gone there  as  well as  some other places .......   but if you don't ask  you will never know 

Small world.

I had relations in B Sqn 1st Armoured Regt (RNSWL), then part of 4th Armoured Brigade, whose Matildas landed there in support.

Edited by Gibsonm

Mark,

It  was  B Sqn  who supported  my  father's Battalion and  with a   Tp in Support of  his Company .....

an extract from the  Official  War  History  

"This was the situation when Major Ryrie 4 of the 1st Armoured Regiment
arrived and said his tanks were coming . Cook  told his leading
platoon to hold on . By 11 .40 two tanks had climbed Hill 87 and were
helping to dispose of isolated pockets of Japanese . Ryrie moved about
fearlessly reconnoitring for the tanks and inspired all by his coolness .
As soon as the tanks appeared over the crest the Japanese on Hill 8 7
ceased firing . By 12 .50 preparations were under way for an assault o n
Parramatta. Six tanks, including one Frog, were now forward and a
battery of the 2/4th Field Regiment was being registered by Captain
W. A . S. Whyte on targets on Parramatta. Before midday a team under
Lieutenant Low 5 of the 2/2nd Anti-Tank Regiment had manhandled a
6-pounder forward to a point near Hill 87 whence L .V.T's helped it on
to the hill itself .

I  can pass on other  documents  more directly if  you are interested.

My father was 2IC  C Company   

Regards,

Michael

Michael 

Official_War_History_Oboe_2.pdf

1 hour ago, G241 said:

I am seeking to  make a  video of one of the last set piece battles of  WWII  in  July  1945..   The  Australian 7th Division amphibious assault on the  town of Balikpapan on the Island of Borneo,  then Dutch East Indies now Indonesia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Balikpapan_(1945)   It was a Divisional operation  but I am seeking to highlight one company, that of my  father, who had the key  task of talking the vital ground on the first day of the operation.   I  wish to  try and  use Arma 3 as basis for simulating the attack and  make a video of that footage using the after action  report  in the Battalions War Diary as the  basis     I  have investigated making  new  terrain  from  height maps in  Arma 3  Tools and associated programs  but it  seems  complex to an  ex Infantryman.  Looking for a more experienced terrain  builder who may  be  interested in the project.

I have some experience with arma 3 map making. What I dont have is time. You need to understand very well the process but also have 3rd party tools like LT3D, Mikeros, etc... And a lot of time for trial and error. Dont give up, eventually it works out. Make sure you get good heightmap files with ~12.5m/px and dont go too big in the beginning. Get something done, like the usual tutorials, then try what you want.