Military training simulations available to civilians

ChrisWerb

When I'm pitching SB to friends, a huge selling point, to me, is that SB is an actual military training system that is available in a very slightly attenuated version to civilians. You could argue that Harpoon/CMANO/CMO is the opposite, having been adopted by militaries subsequent to its civilian inception. What I'd like to know is are there any other simulations out there with real civilian/military crossover in usage? The only one I can think of might be TACOPS. I'm sure you can come up with other examples.

Close Combat at one point had a USMC used variant which can still be found in some corners of the web.

The A-10C in DCS was made for the National Guard IIRC and there are still military developments with DCS from what I hear.

I have heard, not sure the truth of it, that a modified form of Wargame has been used for officer training.

OFP/ArmA has been used for training, the military version of that is called VBS.

On a related note, I'm surprised that Combat Mission hasn't been used as part of training for officers.

CM has been, but in a fairly limited way to either teach history of combined arms or some basic familiarization with platoon-level tactics.  I had a friend in the Marine Corp (combat officer) who told me he didn't think the perspective CM gave was very useful.  He said useful training for him and his peers was either first person tactical as a procedural trainer or more operational. 

From shrapnel games BCT Commander (based on JANUS) used to train battalion level  officer.

Matrixgames Command Modern Naval Air Operation (name is changed to CMO in the next release) , the pro version is in use by many military orgs.

HPS simulation Decisive Action . It was the only wargame that put my Pc on the knee. Resolution time was between 3 to 12 hours! They also have Future force uses mainly for logistics and force management.

Used or have been used by the French Army:

- Operation Flashpoint (Bohemia Interactive Studio, Codemaster), with Frenchpoint mod, for armored regiments and School

- Ghost Recon (Ubisoft) with French mod = Instinct (Script Games Studio) for infantry regiments and School

Both replaced by Virtual Battlefield 3 for all branches (Air, Land, Navy)

-DCS (Eagle Dynamics) Mirage 2000 C (Razbam) for EC 2/5 "Ile de France". New modules (M 2000-5F and M 2000 D) on devloppement for other squadrons

It's not something I would brag about.

In my experience most military simulations are crap.

1. Militaries are cheap

2. Militaries don't value simulations that much (still seen as "video games")

3. Militaries don't care about graphics or presentation, as long as training objectives are met 

ArmA 3 blows VBS 3 out of the water, and Steel Beasts is miles ahead of the software used in the Close Combat Tactical Trainer.

33 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

It's not something I would brag about.

In my experience most military simulations are crap.

1. Militaries are cheap

2. Militaries don't value simulations that much (still seen as "video games")

3. Militaries don't care about graphics or presentation, as long as training objectives are met 

ArmA 3 blows VBS 3 out of the water, and Steel Beasts is miles ahead of the software used in the Close Combat Tactical Trainer.

on 2: Working on it....as soon as the old farts get retired, there may be a chance 😛

6 hours ago, Froggy said:

Used or have been used by the French Army:

- Operation Flashpoint (Bohemia Interactive Studio, Codemaster), with Frenchpoint mod, for armored regiments and School

- Ghost Recon (Ubisoft) with French mod = Instinct (Script Games Studio) for infantry regiments and School

Both replaced by Virtual Battlefield 3 for all branches (Air, Land, Navy)

-DCS (Eagle Dynamics) Mirage 2000 C (Razbam) for EC 2/5 "Ile de France". New modules (M 2000-5F and M 2000 D) on devloppement for other squadrons

One hopes that at least the M-2000D gets released to the civilian market. Love me some mud moving.

• 3 weeks later...