minor 4.1 night vision related questions

Lumituisku

I experience huge lag spike of some couple or more seconds when switching to night vision during night, on vehicles that don't have thermal but some-kind of other alternative.   T-72 and M60 (commander pos) are especially bad at this. It feels as if game freezes for few seconds.   This I suppose may be intentionally made to be like this in newest version?

This also happens from any commander position when switching to or from night vision goggles.  

Then another observation.

Scimitar and Warrior do seem to lack aiming reticle and illumination of it (if such existed) when night-vision  is turned on.  

• Members

I would not approve of intentional lags in the user interface, unless there was a functional reason. Right now I can't remember a reason why such a lag would have been "built in".

Thanks for the feedback. May I ask about your hardware, specifically the graphics card model and driver version?

29 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I would not approve of intentional lags in the user interface, unless there was a functional reason. Right now I can't remember a reason why such a lag would have been "built in".

Thanks for the feedback. May I ask about your hardware, specifically the graphics card model and driver version?

Uh I am very bad at these things...  I hope I get these right...  

I seem to have...  

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970   with  driver version  436.15

I updated to (newest?) driver version 441.12    and lag spike still exist when toggling night-vision "devices" on or off   (especially on t72 gunner, and on M60 commander pos)

Edited by Lumituisku

Well.. for a long time I supposed it was to simulate switching to NGV goggles. Though.. it didn't make sense that it happened on tank sight as well. Other than this my graphics card seems to do okayish. I am not aware of other problems. Other than going to mission editor is painfully slow. But this seems to be case for most users? 

5 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

Well.. for a long time I supposed it was to simulate switching to NGV goggles. Though.. it didn't make sense that it happened on tank sight as well. Other than this my graphics card seems to do okayish. I am not aware of other problems. Other than going to mission editor is painfully slow. But this seems to be case for most users? 

Slow here as well, specially if the selected map in unpublished. I bet that if I had a SSD it would be quicker, although now I'm already used to it and I think its an acceptable price to pay for the new terrain engine.

20 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

Scimitar and Warrior do seem to lack aiming reticle and illumination of it (if such existed) when night-vision  is turned on.  

Btw..  how about this?  Is this as well about my hardware?  Or does Scimitar and warrior lack reticle when gunners Nigh-vision is turned on?  

43 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

Btw..  how about this?  Is this as well about my hardware?  Or does Scimitar and warrior lack reticle when gunners Nigh-vision is turned on?  

No,  this is not  about your hardware :) Use 'toggle magnification'  hotkey, please. Reticle is not projected  if night optics have 1.8x magnification selected(which is default for  Warrior and Scimitar), so in order to see reticle you need to enable high magnification(6.4x). Admittedly this not very obvious.

2 hours ago, Jartsev said:

No,  this is not  about your hardware :) Use 'toggle magnification'  hotkey, please. Reticle is not projected  if night optics have 1.8x magnification selected(which is default for  Warrior and Scimitar), so in order to see reticle you need to enable high magnification(6.4x). Admittedly this not very obvious.

Now i feel myself so very stubit. I knew I had seen night vision reticles on these in past, but could not figure how to access those with this lag I experience when switching back and forth.  

And yes..  In a way this is strange that normal sight has just one mag (though there is alt+f4 unity sight) and night vision has two mag levels.       

Thank you very much!       

• Moderators
On 11/4/2019 at 11:00 AM, Lumituisku said:

Regarding this - as far as we know, I don't think the reticle is illuminated. Of course they had thermal sights later, but we model the older versions.