Breakthrough7

Manual Observed Fire Range

Please feel free to take a crack at my Manual Observed Fire Range scenario.  The aim of this scenario is to provide a limited and controlled environment for the student or player to practice fundamentals of the manual adjustment of indirect fire using proper procedures on an assortment of targets, and at various ranges and without modern aids such as laser rangefinders and battlefield management systems.

If you do take a crack at the scenario please feel welcome to provide feedback so I can make additional changes before submitting it to the downloads section.  Created on SB pro PE version 4.161.

Manual Observed Fire Range 01.sce

First thank you for this!
The question is there is a demo of it! I like first one watches!
(Or a description of what to do!)
This is new to me, and I do not know what to do!

You're both welcome! 

@O.Schmidt  In version 2 I'll expand with a briefing and provide as much information as possible to get folks going, and I might get around to making a short demonstration video at some point.

This version was bare bones because I think most of it is self evident to the folks that might most enjoy this sort of thing.  Usually when I've taught tankers this stuff I've tried to make sure to have enough animal crackers and coloring books on hand to keep their attention but Steel Beasts clearly draws from a more cerebral, more evolved type of tanker/tank enthusiast.

I'll also probably replace the M109A3s and M107 shells with PZH2000s firing GPS guided projectiles in order to mitigate the effects probable error of unguided rounds can have on outcomes.  In doing so the player's actual target location error for their initial CFF and subsequent adjustments will be emphasized free of the effects of uncontrollable probable error. 

8 minutes ago, Breakthrough7 said:

You're both welcome! 

@O.Schmidt  In version 2 I'll expand with a briefing and provide as much information as possible to get folks going, and I might get around to making a short demonstration video at some point.

This version was bare bones because I think most of it is self evident to the folks that might most enjoy this sort of thing.  Usually when I've taught tankers this stuff I've tried to make sure to have enough animal crackers and coloring books on hand to keep their attention but Steel Beasts clearly draws from a more cerebral, more evolved type of tanker/tank enthusiast.

I'll also probably replace the M109A3s and M107 shells with PZH2000s firing GPS guided projectiles in order to mitigate the effects probable error of unguided rounds can have on outcomes.  In doing so the player's actual target location error for their initial CFF and subsequent adjustments will be emphasized free of the effects of uncontrollable probable error. 

Which of the modelled shells of the PzH2000 is supposed to be GPS guided?

Ah, ok.  I just think this functionaly is not realy modelled in SB...these rounds seem to have the same CEP as any standart 155er

The PGK is kind of half way house between unguided and what you would normally expect of GPS guided rounds - the accuracy isn't meant to come near that of systems like Excalibur (which is at least 7x as expensive), but the additional accuracy (particularly in crosswinds) makes a huge difference. You also have a CEP that does not expand dramatically with range. This picture shows the M549A1 HERA projectile accuracy with and without PGK vs (non SALH equipped) Excalibur.

@ChrisWerb No doubt that's what most people believe, as those are the specs initial model PGKs were marketed with and trained on.  I think if you deep dive into the more recent literature (subsequent trials conducted by various militaries for their future acquisition programs etc) you might find that one of the above systems starts to resemble an accurate yet expensive bloated whale of a scam, and the other; the seriously overdue application to artillery shells concepts effectively honed, battle tested, and long applied to aircraft ordnance.  

Edited by Breakthrough7