4k display problem

paulmc

Hi my display monitor is 3840 x 2160 when im in display option and I try to set the game to full screen and I have to click to accepet game restart to take affect the option to click restart just freezes and im stuck on the screen and I cant do any thing but close the game ie control alt delete

18 minutes ago, paulmc said:

Hi my display monitor is 3840 x 2160 when im in display option and I try to set the game to full screen and I have to click to accepet game restart to take affect the option to click restart just freezes and im stuck on the screen and I cant do any thing but close the game ie control alt delete

You need  to  start  game in  safe mode in order to restore functionality:  Start menu>'eSim games'>Troubleshooting>'Steel Beasts Pro PE (safe mode)'.  This would reset options to default and start  game with  1024x768 resolution in windowed  mode. After this you  may try to change resolution again.

But anyway freezing  is  something what shouldn't happen, and we would  like to see debug log and info about your system.

Debug logs can be found in My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\logs  folder;   please  send  logs collected during  failed sessions to  this mail: ssnake[_at_]esimgames.com 

• Members

Debug logs are, however, most useful only if taken in "debug mode" (also in the Troubleshooting folder). The default logging mode doesn't cover as much detail.

I'm not really sure where the "restart game" thing is coming from. Please explain in more detail, ideally illustrated with screenshots, what you're doing to get such an alert message. Because, normally, Steel Beasts will simply switch from windowed to fullscreen mode. This message, if you're really getting it, most likely does not originate from Steel Beasts. If that is the care, whatever freezes Steel Beasts may very well be an external application or driver.

100% does not make any difference in the display option screen when full screen and the resolution are chosen and you hit ok the screen just freezes and if you press ctrl alt del for task manager it takes you back to the frozen display screen the only way to exit is to choose sing out when you enter ctrl alt del

• Members

Try and start Steel Beasts with the --fullscreenwindow command line parameter.

That will create a borderless window of the desktop dimensions. Not so good if you have multiple monitors connected and you want SB Pro on only one of them, but if your display is the only one it would be "like fullscreen" without actually "being fullscreen". If the switch to fullscreen is what makes the application freeze, that would be interesting to know.

If it still freezes, I'm beginning to wonder about hardware and/or driver/3rd party software issues.

Also,

On 11/16/2019 at 12:05 AM, Ssnake said:

Debug logs are, however, most useful only if taken in "debug mode" (also in the Troubleshooting folder). The default logging mode doesn't cover as much detail.

I'm not really sure where the "restart game" thing is coming from. Please explain in more detail, ideally illustrated with screenshots, what you're doing to get such an alert message.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to make this game work but the problem is in options display on window option you cannot pick any resolution as they are all dimmed if you pick full screen you can pick your native resolutions but when you click ok the screen just freezes

and I have to sign out to exit the game

• Members

There is no resolution to pick in Windowed mode because, well, you can adjust the size freely.

(It will briefly show the chosen window size after adjustments.)

As to why it freezes up on going fullscreen, I don't know. One particularity of Windows and it fullscreen mode in general is that applications in fullscreen cannot be debugged. Which makes it inherently hard for programmers to diagnose problems occurring only there (and fixing them). Short of updating the graphics drivers, I'm not sure what else I can recommend to address the problem.

A coming update later this year will include an option to adjust the borderless window mode in a way to pick one display (if multiple monitors are connected), so that may help in some cases. Also, in all versions 4.1 the --fullscreenwindow command line option is broken (we fixed this a few days ago) - please excuse the inconvenience.

18 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Also, in all versions 4.1 the --fullscreenwindow command line option is broken (we fixed this a few days ago) - please excuse the inconvenience

Well that explains a few hours of work I have put into trying to unsuccessfully get it working.  I didn't realize that.  How long before that fix is public? 

Also, are the command line parameters listed together anywhere?  I have found a few in the manual and a scattering in the past 10 release notes, but no consolidated list.

• Members

If you open a command line window in the Steel Beasts ...\release folder and type in SBProPE64cm.exe --help it will open a window listing all command line parameters along with their possible arguments.

I expect the next update before July, maybe even around end of April/early May.

• 2 years later...
On 11/15/2019 at 1:50 PM, paulmc said:

I don't think this is fixed in the latest build. I had no issues in the last few updates, but tonight, this describes me exactly. It will run in windowed mode, but not 3840x2160. Is no one else experiencing this?

• Members

I, at least, am not:

SBPE43_4K.jpg

So, I suppose we'd need to investigate a bit deeper. What are your Windows settings,

- display

- font scaling

- Windows version

- graphics card model

- graphics card driver version

When you know these details, put them into an email to me. Also, start Steel Beasts in debug mode, go to the menu, make the change, then (as it hangs) kill the process (or does it crash?). Either way, the debugLog.txt may be useful. Again, I advise against posting such details in a public space like this forum - but then again, digital exhibitionism seems to be all the rage these days.

;)

Ssnake,

Sent you my info but also tried the following:

Font scaling:

100%

200% (my default)

250% (windows recommended)

None worked

Started alternatively in debug and safe mode. Each time I changed the resolution to 3840x2160, instant freeze and had to conduct a windows restart. All instances it freezes up. Cannot use task manager to close out. Windows restart.

Matt

PS, forgot to add it does work in windowed mode, but everything's very cluttered, including options menu. I'll wait for recommendations to make the 4k work.

Edited by StrykerPSG