Structures and signs... EUREKA !!!!

Wax Savage

Hi guys,

To begin learning the SB toolset I've started adding details to older scenarios. I'm currently adding additional graphics detail the Droysiger Forst scenario (by sbean). 

I thought of incorporating the "German Buildings Woodland/Autumn (3.002)" by Falli . Falli's work contains 13 buildings in DDS format plus a Normals and Speculars  file.

I've got NO idea where to place these files. Anyone familiar with structures mods please join it, I really could use your help.

Thanks!!

010114_FULDA_Buildings_WL(3.002).rar

Edited by Wax Savage

6 hours ago, Wax Savage said:

Hi guys,

To begin learning the SB toolset I've started adding details to older scenarios. I'm currently adding additional graphics detail the Droysiger Forst scenario (by sbean). 

I thought of incorporating the "German Buildings Woodland/Autumn (3.002)" by Falli . Falli's work contains 13 buildings in DDS format plus a Normals and Speculars  file.

I've got NO idea where to place these files. Anyone familiar with structures mods please join it, I really could use your help.

Thanks!!

010114_FULDA_Buildings_WL(3.002).rar 12.7 MB · 0 downloads

Im sorry, I trying to figure out exactly what it is, would be able to please post some screenshots as examples?

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, Ssnake said:

X:\... map packages\packages\YOUR PACKAGE\actors\textures\woodland (or \desert, or \winter, possibly also \TIS)

Hi Ssnake,

Just got back into town. I attempted to locate the path you listed, haven't located it. I looked in Program Files, ProgramData and Administrator. Can you explain the path better?

• Members

Well, you have your map packages installed somewhere. You must. The path is shown in SB's Main Menu / Options / File Paths.

So, "X:\... map packages\" stands for that file path, wherever it may be.

"YOUR PACKAGE" then is the specific map package for which you want to add your custom textures, which is either a specific folder (if it is a base map), or a basemap\deltas\YOUR FOLDER type of (nested) file path inside of the "map packages" parent directory.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, Ssnake said:

Well, you have your map packages installed somewhere. You must. The path is shown in SB's Main Menu / Options / File Paths.

So, "X:\... map packages\" stands for that file path, wherever it may be.

"YOUR PACKAGE" then is the specific map package for which you want to add your custom textures, which is either a specific folder (if it is a base map), or a basemap\deltas\YOUR FOLDER type of (nested) file path inside of the "map packages" parent directory.

Hi guys,

Well, after chewing on Ssnake’s generous assistance and posts I was able to decipher where the SB structure files reside in my computer…

C:\Program Files\eSim Games\SB Pro PE\textures\woodland.

I followed the instructions included in the download, "German Buildings Woodland/Autumn (3.002)" by Falli (available off the SB Forum) .  I renamed the extensions of the existing SB texture files as follows…

Example:

Original texture file name = bldg_5.dds

Renamed original texture file = bldg_5.OEM

Original texture file folders example:

“Normals” file folder renamed to  “Normals_OEM”

I renamed 13 texture files in total plus the “Normals and Speculars” folder.

Once the original files were renamed it was safe for me to drop Falli’s modified files, "German Buildings Woodland/Autumn (3.002)" into C:\Program Files\eSim Games\SB Pro PE\textures\woodland location.

The new buildings showed up perfectly. REALLY looks authentic. Cool!

• Members

So, you have an old version of SB Pro installed?

That changes everything.

The user manual has actually a reasonably detailed section about "Mods". In a nutshell, NEVER change files in the original program folder, but copy them into the corresponding subdirectory of the Mods folder.

Version 4.1 allows for map-specific custom textures, rather than a globat mod.

Ah so perhaps in 4.1x this part of the path:

On 11/24/2019 at 11:26 AM, Ssnake said:

... \actors\textures\woodland (or \desert, or \winter, possibly also \TIS)

Needs to be added / created?

For me at least I have:

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages

Then within each "package" (this is just an example):

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\FT_Benning_10m_299vu [autocreated base]

But certainly no:

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\FT_Benning_10m_299vu [autocreated base]\actors\textures\woodland (etc.)

I think most people only have this part "X:\... map packages\packages\YOUR PACKAGE" (no sub folders, apart from "deltas", included beyond that)

Edited by Gibsonm

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:38 AM, Ssnake said:

So, you have an old version of SB Pro installed?

That changes everything.

The user manual has actually a reasonably detailed section about "Mods". In a nutshell, NEVER change files in the original program folder, but copy them into the corresponding subdirectory of the Mods folder.

Version 4.1 allows for map-specific custom textures, rather than a globat mod.

Hello Ssnake and Gibsonm,

Just for clarification, all the file work (mods) I am performing is within SB 4.161.

Following Ssnakes recent email I erased the modified structure texture files from the original program folder and renamed the original program texture files to their original names.

Ssnake.., the original program folder is now as originally installed by the SB installer.

I then placed the modified structure texture files in the following location…

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\textures\woodland

The modified building colors display in the MISSION EDITOR so… yes, SB 4.1 will read and use the modified texture files rather than the stock files in the original program folder.

The above file location still presents a global change to all maps using a woodland theme.  Grrrr!

So.., I erased the modified texture files from the C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\textures\woodland.

To test if I could get the modified files to show up only in a specific map (i.e., NOT global), I placed the files in the following location…

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf [autocreated base]\deltas\Forest

The modified building colors did not show up in the MISSION EDITOR.  SB is not reading the files when placed into the map-specific folder.   Grrrr!

So for now, incorporating the building textures "German Buildings Woodland/Autumn (3.002)" by Falli, will cause SB to use these modified files to make global changes to all woodland themed scenarios not just the map specific scenario I was hoping for. What am I missing?

23 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Ah so perhaps in 4.1x this part of the path:

Needs to be added / created?

For me at least I have:

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages

Then within each "package" (this is just an example):

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\FT_Benning_10m_299vu [autocreated base]

But certainly no:

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\FT_Benning_10m_299vu [autocreated base]\actors\textures\woodland (etc.)

I think most people only have this part "X:\... map packages\packages\YOUR PACKAGE" (no sub folders, apart from "deltas", included beyond that)

Hi Gibsonm,

yes, you are correct. I have the identical file structure as you. (See my prior post).

Being interested in this particular feature of v4.1x, I decided to give it a go.

Following Ssnake's instructions, I placed some modded building textures into the "woodland" folder in the following path: 
C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\plain41 [autocreated base]\deltas\CMTC Hornfelt\actors\textures\woodland ... ("CMTC Hornfelt" being a published package I created for use with my own modified "Camp Hornfelt" scenarios).

The textures did not show up. So I tested them using the usual "mods" folder approach, where they appeared as expected.

So, remembering that "published" packages can't be further edited, I tried creating an unpublished delta copy of my package, called "CMTC Hornfelt Test", and instead nesting the prescribed actors/textures/woodland path with my modded textures there:

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\plain41 [autocreated base]\deltas\CMTC Hornfelt Test\actors\textures\woodland.

The modded building textures still didn't show up -- either in the map editor or when selecting the new delta map the mission editor.

I tried re-saving, refreshing ... No bueno.

So is this, indeed, a thing in v4.161?  Can any beta testers confirm they've had this working?

so basic buildings and textures needs to be placed in the base package.. even after uve published and want to add more u still put them in there.. so for example this is mine C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Oksbol_50x50_V3A\actors...  that is where u place your *****.x files to show your buildings or signs in game..

Then u have the texture folder inside your actor folder, which includes the woodland and TIS folder..

Inside your woodland folder u place the Specular and Normals folder, for your .DDS textures

hope this helps..

Edited by DK-DDAM

7 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

Try putting them in the Base map (not Delta) \actors\textures\woodland

Hello All,

good to see there is some interest in this topic. If we can get a clear solution maybe we should make this a forum ‘sticky’.

I tried to get the structure textures to display by  creating the extra nested files as was suggested. I placed them sequentially deeper and deeper into the C: ProgramData/esim Games directory.

Here are the three tests I performed:

test 1

firstly, the file path "\actors\texture\woodland " was added inside the base map files directory

modified texture files were placed into the newly created 'woodland' folder...

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf [autocreated base]\actors\texture\woodland

test 2

moved into the deltas map folder...

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf [autocreated base]\deltas\actors\texture\woodland

test3

moved into the specific map folder (that is nested inside the deltas folder)

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf [autocreated base]\deltas\Forest 3\actors\texture\woodland

At no time were the modified structure textures displayed by SB.   

The files will be read and will display in SB if they are placed as follows:

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\textures\woodland

Of course this is not a solution as it will cause the modded files to be displayed globally in a  maps using a woodland theme.

Edited by Wax Savage

15 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

it has to be \actors\textures\woodland  not \actors\texture\woodland as you have there. Refer to the bekibekibekistan map as it uses custom textures.

Hi DarkAngel,

thanks for the spelling correction. I retested using the correct path  as follows...

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf [autocreated base]\actors\textures\woodland
The modified texture files residing in the newly created 'woodland' folder were read by SB and the modified textures DID display, ..Yeah!! PROGRESS!!

So,..
as of tonight I can attest that we can use structure skin mods from the SB Forum's mods downloads section. The modified texture files when placed in a given map’s BASE folder will affect all map variants (including any delta maps in the maps master base folder). This placement proceedure will not cause a global change in SB but, will cause a mini-global change at least within all maps held in a map’s master base file.

Edited by Wax Savage

29 minutes ago, Wax Savage said:

The modified texture files when placed in a given map’s BASE folder will affect all map variants (including any delta maps in the maps master base folder). This placement proceedure will not cause a global change in SB but, will cause a mini-global change at least within all maps held in a map’s master base file.

That's exactly what I was wondering about after reading DarkAngel's post, but haven't had the time to check it myself.

If the mods are applied to every Delta using a given Base, the feature is slightly less attractive to me than first imagined.

I do want to experiment with it though. I'm interested in the possibilities. I'm especially keen on the idea of modding normal and specular files -- something that otherwise is only possible globally (and unsupported at that).

I'm guessing embedding the textures with the map makes them visible to all users in a network session? I'm also wondering whether mods in the Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods folders would override those embedded with a map. (at least on the user's frontend).

Edited by Splash

well the whole thing with being able to create your own models, and textures now to place on your map, is something i'm happy with. Cause it allows more spectacular maps and designs.  Even if it is a process, its definetly something worth toying around with.

11 hours ago, Splash said:

That's exactly what I was wondering about after reading DarkAngel's post, but haven't had the time to check it myself.

If the mods are applied to every Delta using a given Base, the feature is slightly less attractive to me than first imagined.

I do want to experiment with it though. I'm interested in the possibilities. I'm especially keen on the idea of modding normal and specular files -- something that otherwise is only possible globally (and unsupported at that).

I'm guessing embedding the textures with the map makes them visible to all users in a network session? I'm also wondering whether mods in the Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods folders would override those embedded with a map. (at least on the user's frontend).

Hello Splash,

To further clarify my experiment, I noticed no discernible difference using FALLI's modified 'NORMALS' and 'SPECULARS' files (included the SB forum "German Buildings Woodland/Autumn (3.002)" structure skins download) vs.. the original SB program files.

Truthfully, I have no idea what the 'NORMALS' and 'SPECULARS' files accomplish in the SB program.  If someone could tell me why the 'NORMALS' and 'SPECULARS' files are important, I might show them more respect.

normal textures does so u see bolts for example without them being modelled... or weldings on a vehicle without them specifically being modelled on the 3d mesh.. specular file shows decides how light reacts on the texture.. for example if its glass and u want alot of glare or tree with a bit of matte colour

Yes @Wax Savage normal and specular files can be important -- particularly from near viewing distances.  

In simple terms, normals govern the surface texture of the model; speculars govern its reflective properties. They give objects a more detailed, 3-D appearance from various viewing angles. 

Beyond that, they are important in the sense that if the normal/specular files don't match up with the skin file, you have issues. See the example below, where the wood-shingle roof on a modded barn retains the specular and normal textures of the stock corrugated tin.  If a player (like me) cares about how an object looks when he gets close to it in-game, he'll definitely want the normals and speculars to match the graphical image.

By following the instructions above and moving my "actors" file path to the Base package, I was able to get the modded building textures to show up in-game. Unfortunately, when I tried putting files in Normals and Speculars folders within the structure described, I couldn't get them to show up. I'm using the following path:
C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\plain41 [autocreated base]\actors\textures\woodland ... and within that woodland folder are the individal .dds building skins (which appear in-game) plus the Normals and Speculars folders, which, in turn, contain their respective .dds normal and specular files. The structure pretty much mirrors that of the main installation path.

Could it be I've placed those folders improperly? Or are Normals and Speculars simply not (officially) moddable -- even in this manner? DK-DDAM seemed to imply they work.

Clipboard01.jpg

SS_18_26_57.jpg

Edited by Splash