D11 Hedgehog (UKArmour, UK)

D12 Fre4k (?,?)

D13 Cmdr: Hoggydog (UKArmour, UK)

D13 Gnr: Crusty (UKArmour, UK)

D14 IrishHussar (ARRC, UK)

Also the CO/OC of a Tank Squadron / combat team is known as "Zero Alpha" 0A

The XO is known as "Zero Bravo" 0B

Usually the FOO is something like "Golf XXA"

Sure Gibsonm and Irish can correct this.

Hedge,

Sorry only just saw this.

Unit call signs tend to be very country specific.

To use a Canadian example (ours are "restricted" documents)

OC A Squadron is 19 with the 2IC (XO is such an American term) being 19A. 1 being the prefix for A Squadron, A Company, etc.

OC B Squadron is 29 with the 2IC (XO is such an American term) being 29A. 2 being the prefix for B Squadron, B Company, etc.

This is important on the Regimental / Battalion / Battle Group net since these are different people.

Another example is that the Alpha vehicle (say 12A) is the Troop Sgt, 2 Troop, A Squadron, as opposed to US usage where the "4" vehicle is the Platoon Sgt.

The UK switched to daily(?) changing call signs some time ago so they tend not to have fixed call signs.

This challenge you have is that Kanium is not purely UK or purely somewhere else so you need a generic list that people in Kanium understand (as opposed to a "real" list). The key issue is to communicate, not necessarily getting too worried about whether you have the "right" call sign.

Certainly though in other events the "correct" ones are used but that's a decision for the respective event co-ordinator. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, IrishHussar said:

What it is and what it is doing!!

Plus the time should always be an actual time not 2 mins ago etc as this will stick with the report as it is reported onto higher formation nets and can also be used as a reference.

Irish,

I'm a

At

At

What

What

What

Guy too but again I think its hard to impose one system on a heterogeneous group.

As long as the the Platoon Commander gets useful information not exchanges like:

"Contact Tank!"

"Where?"

"Near the Tree" (usually given in a forest)

"What Tree?"

"The green one!"

Often that results in "recce / reporting by burning call sign" as the only indication you have of a bad guy somewhere nearby is the friendly tank that just exploded.

16 hours ago, IrishHussar said:

What it is and what it is doing!!

Plus the time should always be an actual time not 2 mins ago etc as this will stick with the report as it is reported onto higher formation nets and can also be used as a reference.

Yeah I get that, I just wonder why it's listed twice, first with a smaller area and then with a bigger area, or are you supposed to repeat it twice while transmitting ?

/KT

1 hour ago, Kingtiger said:

Yeah I get that, I just wonder why it's listed twice, first with a smaller area and then with a bigger area, or are you supposed to repeat it twice while transmitting ?

/KT

Well the boxes are only a guide. Its not like you are required to fill each box. :)

It may also be a subliminal prompt to provide as much information (plus any assessment) of what the enemy in the "first What" is doing.

Also the two sections are going to be different lengths in any case, for example:

At: 1320

At: GR123 456

What: 1 x T-80 Pl (small box)

What: Moving south along SSR. Suspect lead Pl of MR Bn Adv Guard (larger box)

What: Engaged and destroyed lead vehicle. Moving to alternate position to destroy remainder of Platoon, continuing to observe SSR for follow on forces. No damage suffered by this call sign.

Edited by Gibsonm

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Well the boxes are only a guide. Its not like you are required to fill each box. :)

It may also be a subliminal prompt to provide as much information (plus any assessment) of what the enemy in the "first What" is doing.

Also the two sections are going to be different lengths in any case, for example:

At: 1320

At: GR123 456

What: 1 x T-80 Pl (small box)

What: Moving south along SSR. Suspect lead Pl of MR Bn Adv Guard (larger box)

What: Engaged and destroyed lead vehicle. Moving to alternate position to destroy remainder of Platoon, continuing to observe SSR for follow on forces. No damage suffered by this call sign.

Makes sense, just looks weird when you see the format boxes.

I like the Swedish FORS report format we use, but as everyone besides santa has put in their report format I wont add to the cluster of versions :P

/KT

5 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Makes sense, just looks weird when you see the format boxes.

I like the Swedish FORS report format we use, but as everyone besides santa has put in their report format I wont add to the cluster of versions :P

/KT

Well we all "like" / "have used for XX years" our own national format, but as I said before since Kanium is after a "least worse" / "one size fits all" format to cover numerous nationalities, then whatever they / you come up with if is fine by me.

BG ANZAC being predominately made up of "At, At, What, What, What" users will stick to that.

2 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

A quick re-arrange in my platoon:

D3 platoon (4xWarrior, MechInf, 4x rifle team (NLAW, 10 rds 40mmx46, HE/SMK, 4x GPMG team, pltSgt, pltldr teams)

D31 Kingtiger (Kanium,SE)

D32 Dboy (Kanium,UK)

D33 

D34 Wiglif (Kanium,US)

Done

In another direction then Assassin has been unavoidably detained so cant participate.

That means that D2 PLT needs to be reconstituted. So I have inserted @TSe419E as PLT LDR for now, but I will let the PLT figure out how they want to set up them selves so @Badger @TSe419E and @Connaugh please find out who mans what.

Also that means that we have an open slot, so @Fre4k can join D2 so we have two fully manned TNK PLT´s which would be nice  - if thats OK with you @Fre4k ?

To round off the dialogue with the Contact reports, then its a wok in progress and not set in stone.  And as has been stated is the least bad solution given the parameters.

However the goal is to use the simplest system that will produce a consistent positive result with shifting manning, so in many way the same reasons why we have adopted the callsign structure that we have .

On 11/29/2019 at 5:09 PM, Gibsonm said:

Hedge,

Sorry only just saw this.

Unit call signs tend to be very country specific.

To use a Canadian example (ours are "restricted" documents)

OC A Squadron is 19 with the 2IC (XO is such an American term) being 19A. 1 being the prefix for A Squadron, A Company, etc.

OC B Squadron is 29 with the 2IC (XO is such an American term) being 29A. 2 being the prefix for B Squadron, B Company, etc.

This is important on the Regimental / Battalion / Battle Group net since these are different people.

Another example is that the Alpha vehicle (say 12A) is the Troop Sgt, 2 Troop, A Squadron, as opposed to US usage where the "4" vehicle is the Platoon Sgt.

The UK switched to daily(?) changing call signs some time ago so they tend not to have fixed call signs.

This challenge you have is that Kanium is not purely UK or purely somewhere else so you need a generic list that people in Kanium understand (as opposed to a "real" list). The key issue is to communicate, not necessarily getting too worried about whether you have the "right" call sign.

Certainly though in other events the "correct" ones are used but that's a decision for the respective event co-ordinator. :)

in Canadian format, 19A is not how we use it in Squadron terms. so 19 is A Sqn CO, then anything within A Sqn is given a CS for Example 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4. if it was B Sqn it would look like 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4. anything within those "platoons" is then given a letter Variable example 1-1C. 19B is the 2IC, and 19C is SSM.

pretty close to how we do it https://www.team-yankee.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=6108

Edited by Fre4k

5 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Sort of going off topic.

I agree that the "1" prefix is for A Squadron

"9" is normally a command element (so 19, 19A, 19F, ...)

I'm pretty sure that 19A is the Squadron 2IC / Battle Captain.

close its 19B

The mission made some technical problems with a lot of desync and lag...but it ran fine after a safe in progress and restart. so we should probaly do that next time if we run into similar troubles.

The mission is difficult, especially with enemy mapupdates switched of. But I have to say Nike handled himself pretty well!

Also, esp. with the Warrior, my intent was to script OPFOR in a way , that the MechInf can an MUST fight dismounted. Nice work by Kingtiger there...altough he remained a bit cut off at the end 😛

A human D8 would have probaly helped a bit...mayn of our arty landed of target, and a FO with eyes on target might have achieved better results.

Anyway...I will be tweaking the mission a bit...and have it ready for a replay...should you wish to play one in next summer or so 😄