KANIUM Sunday - NTC BERGEN Counterattack UK by Grenny

Nike-Ajax

11 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Aw crap, I gotta read a briefing now haven't I?

Bollocks.

:D

And @hoggydog this is the march you want, before SnS & Irish start whacking you on your Soviet Tanker's hat.

Thanks for posting this Hedgehog.

Later when I get home I will post the words that go with this music ie The Queen's Royal Hussars regimental song. Then we have till Sunday to learn the words and practice so we can "Charge into the valley of death" in true Hussar fashion. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Aw crap, I gotta read a briefing now haven't I?

Bollocks.

:D

You are a daisy Sir @Hedgehog if you do read the posted briefing above ... as are all you other fine Gentlemen.

It seems by way of elimination that I have seconded to the role of CO .... for which many are better suited, but I shall keep a stiff upper lip and execute the duty to the limits of my abilities. But due to my erratic work schedule then do not expect orders prior to gametime.

1 hour ago, IrishHussar said:

Thanks for posting this Hedgehog.

Later when I get home I will post the words that go with this music ie The Queen's Royal Hussars regimental song. Then we have till Sunday to learn the words and practice so we can "Charge into the valley of death" in true Hussar fashion. 

So at 1.21 in the video supplied we shall break into song using the following lyrics.

I'm a soldier in the Queen's Army
I'm a galloping Queen's Hussar
I've sailed the ocean wide and blue,
I'm a chap who knows a thing or two,
Been in many a tight corner,
Shown the enemy who we are,
I can ride a horse,
Go on a spree,
Or sing a comic song,
And that denotes a Queen's Hussar.

There you are if need be we can have a practice on TeamSpeak before the mission starts LOL

ALLRIGHT THEN Gentlemen ...

We have in previous games had a chat about contact reports.

But THIS scenario brings the subject to the fore, so ...

THIS is the format I should like all PLT LDRs to follow in the upcoming session:

Spot/Contact report Kanium
Starts with "Contact" if in combat othervise "Spotted"
max 15 seconds on the net..30 in extreme cases.
  Spotreports 5 liner: Example
1 Callsign B24
2 Grid/ Ref point /Marker 645445 / A21
3 class/numbers of units 3 tanks / plt INF
4 stationary/or moving to Moving SW
5 Formation but only if you have time MECH INF COY

Who gives it When
  PLT Leader / PLT SG / TC ASAP

As this is barely legible, then here is a link to it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/161vSY66qaL6SX-UCafkY1eMwySn40vJSyhfLwxja4Jk/edit#gid=0

So to talk through it:

00. Add Grid/refpoint/marker to map BEFORE you make the contact report. I am rather busy, so makes it much easier for me rather than giving me an 8-digit map reference that I have to find

0. Brevity: think about your message and make it as short as possible, at best 15 sec or less or at most below 30 sec on net
1. Callsign: rather self-evident

2. Grid/refpoint/marker (and remember to send it to all)

3. Class and number of units (report only what you know and not what you think: betetr to say 3 x T-class tanks than report T-80s if its T-90s or T-72s)

4. Stationary or moving in direction of

5. Formation (nice to, not need to)

ONLY PLT LDR ... OR ... PLT SGT gives the report. So not both or anyone else

Edited by Nike-Ajax

On 11/27/2019 at 5:01 PM, Nike-Ajax said:

ALLRIGHT THEN Gentlemen ...

We have in previous games had a chat about contact reports.

But THIS scenario brings the subject to the fore, so ...

THIS is the format I should like all PLT LDRs to follow in the upcoming session:

Spot/Contact report Kanium
Starts with "Contact" if in combat othervise "Spotted"
max 15 seconds on the net..30 in extreme cases.
  Spotreports 5 liner: Example
1 Callsign B24
2 Grid/ Ref point /Marker 645445 / A21
3 class/numbers of units 3 tanks / plt INF
4 stationary/or moving to Moving SW
5 Formation but only if you have time MECH INF COY

Who gives it When
  PLT Leader / PLT SG / TC ASAP

As this is barely legible, then here is a link to it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/161vSY66qaL6SX-UCafkY1eMwySn40vJSyhfLwxja4Jk/edit#gid=0

So to talk through it:

00. Add Grid/refpoint/marker to map BEFORE you make the contact report. I am rather busy, so makes it much easier for me rather than giving me an 8-digit map reference that I have to find

0. Brevity: think about your message and make it as short as possible, at best 15 sec or less or at most below 30 sec on net
1. Callsign: rather self-evident

2. Grid/refpoint/marker (and remember to send it to all)

3. Class and number of units (report only what you know and not what you think: betetr to say 3 x T-class tanks than report T-80s if its T-90s or T-72s)

4. Stationary or moving in direction of

5. Formation (nice to, not need to)

ONLY PLT LDR ... OR ... PLT SGT gives the report. So not both or anyone else

Hi Nike

as a former Combat Net radio user and instructor I agree all reports should be given in a specific format, this helps not only the sender but also the receiver as they both know what is expected.

May I offer an example contact report card which is the format that the British Army use.

a6-contact-report-front-800x700.jpg

2 hours ago, Crusty said:

Ok, I'm in, D12 for me please 😊

Allright and excellent - except that @Fre4k now sits in that spot: 

Now can you two gents sort it out in a constructive manner please? 

May I suggest that one of many options is that one guns and one TC´s ?

Edited by Nike-Ajax

2 hours ago, IrishHussar said:

Hi Nike

as a former Combat Net radio user and instructor I agree all reports should be given in a specific format, this helps not only the sender but also the receiver as they both know what is expected.

May I offer an example contact report card which is the format that the British Army use.

Looks fantastic - with your permission, i will borrow that and see if we can adapt it to SB context ?

Troop Edit:

D1 troop (CR2)

D11 Hedgehog (UKArmour, UK)

D12 Fre4k (?,?)

D13 Cmdr: Hoggydog (UKArmour, UK)

D13 Gnr: Crusty (UKArmour, UK)

D14 IrishHussar (ARRC, UK)

Also the CO/OC of a Tank Squadron / combat team is known as "Zero Alpha" 0A

The XO is known as "Zero Bravo" 0B

Usually the FOO is something like "Golf XXA"

Sure Gibsonm and Irish can correct this.

Edited by Hedgehog

4 hours ago, IrishHussar said:

Hi Nike

Can you elaborate on why "what - target description" is listed twice on that format?.

/KT

16 minutes ago, Hedgehog said:

Troop Edit:

D1 troop (CR2)

D12 Fre4k (?,?)

Handled like an Officer and Gentleman:

I tip my hat to you Sir

1 hour ago, Hedgehog said:

Troop Edit:

D1 troop (CR2)

D12 Fre4k (?,?)

Switching callsign templates usually causes confusion. I'd just suggest we stay with the "kanium default" .

1 hour ago, Grenny said:

Switching callsign templates usually causes confusion. I'd just suggest we stay with the "kanium default" .

From whatever experience I have, then I clearly concur.

I appreciate the wish for realism and immersion, however we have tried with more complex setups, and what we have now seems to be the least bad solution.

3 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Can you elaborate on why "what - target description" is listed twice on that format?.

/KT

What it is and what it is doing!!

Plus the time should always be an actual time not 2 mins ago etc as this will stick with the report as it is reported onto higher formation nets and can also be used as a reference.

Edited by IrishHussar

There are plenty of different report formats. I like SALT, or Size, Activity, Location, and Time. It is pretty quick, IE:

Black 6, this is Red 1, SALT to follow, break.

3x T-80s in a hasty defense, VIC CP 37, time 1537L.

The break gives the receivers time to prepare to write the report down, frees up the net if anything is more pressing, etc. 

You can also make it a SALTY report to add in Your Recommendations if you need to ask the CO for permission to modify your maneuver plan. 

There is also a SALUTE report, for Size, Activity, Location, Uniform, Time, and Equipment. This is a more in depth report and works better if you have time to develop the situation (ie recon, not in direct fire contact, etc.) 

On the other hand, a contact report is even quicker than SALT, and is used when you come into unexpected direct or indirect fire and haven't developed the situation. IE:

Black 6, Red 1, contact, tanks, north, out. 

This tells the CO to give you about two or three minutes to develop the situation before he tries to pull the next report from your Platoon. 

It is also helpful to assign responsibilities for who calls in reports. When I was a PL, I had my PSG call in all routine reports so I could focus on maneuvering the Platoon (opening and closing checkpoints, crossing phase lines, etc.) He would call in any contact reports, and I would follow up with the CO with SALT or SALUTE reports when the Platoon was given a battle drill to execute.

Obviously, this is all SOP, and there are multiple ways to solve the problem of how to effectively create a common operating picture at the Company level. 

That is why i have made the format so its an amalgam of something that everybody with a little squinting can relate too we have had it sent around to all the scen designers and nobody has made any change request so we hope all can live with it not being their own completely and can hopefully use this one

MD