Waypoint Embark & Retreat question.

stormrider_sp

I want Blue Tank to advance (engage) if it can't see any operational enemy AND is not under direct fire. After it embarks, I want it to Retreat back if it can see any operational enemy OR is under direct fire. This part was easy to setup up. I created 2 Waypoints (1 and 2) and linked them with an Engage Route with both its Embark and Retreat conditions setup as described. It retreats back to Waypoint 1 while destroying the enemy tank.

Now, after it retreated back to Waypoint 1, and having destroyed the enemy tank, it immediately embarks on the same route towards Waypoint 2.

The question: Instead of Embarking immediately on that same route towards Waypoint 2 after retreating, how can I make it wait at Waypoint 1 for ~3 minutes (while it calls for artillery) before embarking again towards Waypoint 2?

Due to the large number of units in the scenario, I'm aiming for simplicity while avoiding the overuse of the limited available Logic Conditions and Events.

Cheers

• Members

You may also want to create an unconditioned alternative route (though it needs an embark delay similar as to the first one). That said, I think you need an additional route and an additional waypoint. Here's why:

Your route goes from WP#1 to WP#2. I presume you have a delay before checking so the unit can be reasonably certain that there is no enemy overwatching the route. Say, 30 seconds after it arrives on WP#1 it embarks on your route as planned and as described. It runs into enemy, and pulls back.

Now, it will remember that the retreat back condition was fulfilled and if there is an alternative route that can be taken (e.g. because unconditioned), it will give that route preference rather than repeating the same mistake over and over again. You want it to wait for three minutes before trying the same move, essentially. But unless you apply a three-minute delay before checking for ALL attempts (including the first), this won't work. But if you add a route to WP#3 very close nearby which is unconditioned, after returning from halfway to #2 it will now go there. Here you can have another route with basically the same condition as the one leading from #1 to #2, except with the three-minute delay before checking.

(Suppose on the second attempt it still runs into the same enemy and pulls back again. In that caser you can basically repeat the trick a third time if the situation is still no good, and move on to yet another nearby waypoint on an unconditioned route, but this time you try a "real alternative", a covered route leading to an entirely different starting point and an attempt to bypass the known enemy position.)

Thank you guys for the replies. I made it to work this way and I may have detected a bug:

Instead of having both routes going from Waypoint 1 to 2, I created a new Waypoint, 3, for the second route.

The variable was operational "known enemy" tanks <0 and <1 respectively, so when at Wp 1, blue tank checked if there was any tank in the specified area and that it wasnt under direct fire. After contacting the enemy tank, it would retreat back to Wp 1 and check again, then depart towards Wp 3 after 2 minutes wait.

Using the same logic above, but with the previous structure: 2 routes going from Wp 1 and converging at Wp 2 apparently has a bug that prevents it from using the 2nd route.