SB Pro PE Maps Installer [RESOLVED]

Dr Strangelove

• Members

Did you install the map packages AFTER Steel Beasts?

If so, and if you changed the path, it will not be properly recognized.

In the Main Menu, go to Options | Filepaths. Notice the path description. Open that path with the File Explorer, and copy the folders in it into the new location on your D:\ drive. Next, open the Filepaths menu again and click on the path to change it, then select the new location on D:\

Afterwards you can delete the folders from the old location.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Arvigna said:

Hello,

I have a similar problem, but when I want to change the path to the new one, it doesn't work.
A dialog box opens:
exception encountered when changing the directory.

Try to change  Filepaths while running SB as administrator. If this doesn't help, when try to re-install  Steel Beasts (not the Maps!), and during   installation  select proper  path to the  folder containing maps- installer will ask about its location in the next step after confirming  SB installation  directory.

• Members

If you install SB Pro PE first, or if you uninstall the map packages and later reinstall them, you can't change the path during the installation (well, you can. but Steel Beasts won't recognize it). In that case you would need to copy a number of map packages (tutorials, default, flat, ...) into the new directory. Only then will the change of the file path (as described above) work.

ok i read.

@

Jartsev

: i'am running as Admin. (I'm going to download again, and try a reinstall..)

@

Ssnake

not sure I understand, little head that I am.

i made the W10 update. (ps: First bug with sound file... fixed.)

after that , what is certain is that I installed SB before the maps.  so i'm doing that as described above .

I join the log in case.
Sorry for my bad english.

DebugLog_1.txt

• Members

The Steel Beasts installer itself comes with two or three maps, the bare minimum that it requires to even start - the map for the tutorials, the "flat" map to start the Map Editor (and the "default" map to replace it in some versions). If you install Steel Beasts and there is a registry entry about the location of the map packages, it will install these three maps into that directory. If there is no entry, it will proceed with the default location on the C drive.

Now, in order to make sure to keep functioning, Steel Beasdts will let you change the file path only if those three map packages can be found as subdirectories of the new location. Otherwise it will refuse to accept such a change. Conversely, if you move those map folders to the new location, Steel Beasts will aks you to specify the map directory when you start it, and you cannot bypass this (because, Steel Beasts needs those maps in order to work).

So, any attempt to change the file path as described by Jarvs will fail as long as those three maps aren't alreay in the new location.

Alternatively, uninstall both the map packages and Steel Beasts, then run the map packages installer first (choose the new location), followed by Steel Beasts (don't change the path in that case, it will be automatically recognized).