4.162 Posted

Sean

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Hmmm...

I didn't want to make a big fuss since not everyone has the server copy but ...

Standard executable: roughly 16 sec

Server executable: roughly 40sec

This is on the same box, with the same applications running.

Started the stopwatch when I click on the desktop shortcut. Stopped the stopwatch when hourglass goes away and the screen with the credits appear ("PATHEngine", etc.).

Edited by Gibsonm

5 hours ago, Vikingo said:

I notice longer loading times entering just to mission editor compared with 4.161. uninstalled all before. Win 10. SSD. 4770k. 32gb ram. Then works fine as always.

How much can you overclock your cpu? I find I can push mine up to 4.2 for most applications and sb, but only up to 4.0 for oculus.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:17 AM, stormrider_sp said:

How much can you overclock your cpu? I find I can push mine up to 4.2 for most applications and sb, but only up to 4.0 for oculus.

hey! 4.0 and can't risk it anymore, starting tomorrow we will have a new tax here for imports of 21% + 30% (plus that electronic stuff costs x3/x4 more than in the first world countries so is +%400+%51 final) you have to be rich for have a nice computer. Hope this will last 😅

4 minutes ago, Vikingo said:

hey! 4.0 and can't risk it anymore, starting tomorrow we will have a new tax here for imports of 21% + 30% (plus that electronic stuff costs x3/x4 more than in the first world countries so is +%400+%51 final) you have to be rich for have a nice computer. Hope this will last 😅

Im brazilian, I remember it very well.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:29 PM, stormrider_sp said:

We were in the same boat; I quit Brazil some time ago for that and a list of other reasons. Saludos, maestro!

aha! Clever move 🍻 unfortunately I'm stuck here, big family big problems. But I better don't keep spawning the thread 😅 Best of the lucks!

• 1 month later...

This is what I am building, hope it works,  any advice welcome

Apevia Sniper 2 Black and Blue, side window, front USB 3.0
Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 3.6GHz (4.9GHz turbo) 8-Core (Upgraded Cooling Suggested)
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, extra quiet Liquid Cooling System
ASUS PRIME H310M-E, Onboard Video HDMI, GB LAN, DDR4, USB 3.1
16GB (2x8GB) PC4-21300 DDR4 2666MHz Dual Channel
GeForce GTX 1650 4GB - Triple Head, HDMI
 M.2 Solid-State Drive
1.0TB 7200RPM SATA3 6GB/s 32m cache
No Optical Drive
Wireless 802.11 N 300MBs Network Card PCI Express
Thermaltake 700W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit

A "GB NIC" is a "Network Interface Card" on the motherboard that allows up to 1GB Ethernet connectivity.

It will be an "RJ-45" connection (a square with a notch in it - most likely similar to ones on your home 'phone, but larger) which allows an Ethernet cable to be connected to the PC.

In terms of convenience / performance, WiFi means you can pick the computer up and move it about without being "tethered" by yet another cable. But the performance (bandwidth) is poorer.

For example in our house I have fibre to the building.

This provides me with a 120Mbs "down" / 25 "up" connection. Even if I had fibre to the PC, that would be the best that I can achieve.

The local network in the house consists of Gigabit cabling, switching, etc. While that can theoretically support 1,000Mbs it is capped by the speed of the external connection, so the best I can hope for is around 120Mbs.

The same local network has a WiFi link but it only runs at 60Mbs. Therefore regardless of the speed coming into the house and the cabling infrastructure, the WiFi network is capped at 60Mbs.

Accordingly a PC connected via Ethernet can download at approx 120Mbs, while an iPad or similar device connected via WiFi can only hope for 60Mbs.

So a given file should take approx twice as long to download to the device connected via WiFi, than the one connected via Ethernet cabling.

As a result at home all the devices that support Ethernet (PC's, Laptops, Printers, Scanners, TVs, Fridges, DVD players, Cable TV devices, ...) use Ethernet in preference to WiFi , since that way we are actually using the bandwidth we are paying for, not adding a WiFi constraint to the extant network connection.

Minimizing the WiFi traffic will likely reduce the RADHAZ as well - but I can't prove that.

Edited by Gibsonm

6 hours ago, Michael Ramsey said:

This is what I am building, hope it works,  any advice welcome...

Looks impressive, Michael. It'll should run SB without a hiccup. I'm building around a Ryzen 5 3600 which is on its way along with a B450 motherboard. Parts to follow. PM me if you want to continue this discussion.

4 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Looks impressive, Michael. It'll should run SB without a hiccup. I'm building around a Ryzen 5 3600 which is on its way along with a B450 motherboard. Parts to follow. PM me if you want to continue this discussion.

Incredible, I just got the same system.  About 2 weeks ago I picked a MSI B450 Gaming pro carbon and the ryzen 5 3600. I havent seen much fps improvements over my i7 4770k, although now I can have a bootable M.2 SSD (which is already installed), if only I can figure out how to migrate my OS to without loosing everything in the process. The one difference is that I'm running a GTX 1070 Ti

Edited by stormrider_sp

27 minutes ago, stormrider_sp said:

... if only I can figure out how to migrate my OS to without loosing everything in the process.

I used a “EaseUS” product to clone the old drive to the SSD, then changed the boot sequence to use the SSD first and it worked flawlessly (changed Hard Drive Labels to [i.e. able to label the SSD as C:\]).

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

I used a “EaseUS” product to clone the old drive to the SSD, then changed the boot sequence to use the SSD first and it worked flawlessly (changed Hard Drive Labels to [i.e. able to label the SSD as C:\]).

Did you need to manually change the drive letter? This is one of my main doubts and I read somewhere that the boot drive is always automatically labelled as C

Other than that, I spent one whole day cleaning my HDD so its clone fits the smaller SSD, that meant sorting out over 500GBs of duplicates and rubbish. Also, I tried to make sure that everything on the system config was right, like UEFI boot system (mine is currently CSM), and the system type MBR vs GPT, which were things I didn't know I needed to know and I'm having to figure out as I discover them. I have a full collection of free, trial or limited shareware of software to migrate the OS, but there isnt one that I can say I'm confident that it's going to work. I might try EaseUS as well. Thank you.

I would like to have a software package that does that but also that is a backup solution.

Edited by stormrider_sp

On 1/27/2020 at 5:39 PM, Michael Ramsey said:

Living off the grid makes cable impossible.  Most places I go only have WiFi.  What is the GB NIC exactly?

If you're in the US, drop me a personal message on here some time.  If you're willing to wait for me to have a good day off, I'm more than happy to burn the installer files to CD and drop them in the mail if it'll help you get up and running.