4.162 doesn't like barbed wire???

Gibsonm

We tried to do an "ad hoc" TGIF today and run one of the Firefight missions (Mission 5) with 6 players.

Twice my machine locked up (as host) when as the Blue CO I attempted to deploy some barbed wire, during the planning phase.

Windows 10 blue circle with either wait for it to recover or close the application.

I understand that the mission ran fine under 4.161 when it was used for TGIF previously so unsure whether something in 4.162 caused a glitch.

My machine had hosted a few multi player sessions with clients across the world over the last few days so I don't think that was the issue.

Similarly, I had closed SB Pro PE Server 4.162 before the attempted session(s) so I don't think it should be a memory leak issue.

I've attached the two log files if they are of any help?

DebugLog_1.txtDebugLog_0.txt

The scenario file is "Firefight 79-S05-4161a.sce" but its 15Mb so I can't attach it. We did not edit it or make any changes so it should be the same as the one used for TGIF.

Unsure if the "a" suffix is of any importance though?

Edited by Gibsonm

Gibbo, can you post the mission file too via dropbox or something? I don't seem to have "Firefight 79-S05-4161a.sce" but do have "Firefight 79-S5-4161a.sce", not sure if there is a different version floating around out there or if it is a different name.

Also if you can, can you provide crashdumps related to the two crashes?

Edited by TankHunter

Sorry I should have clarified.

1. I was using the "server" executable - even though we had less than 8 players.

2. It is the same file. I added the "0" to missions 1 - 5 so they would sort properly.

But I'll provide a link:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZagDSkZDAwqI3uazdBAac9uitya1BfDbCOy

Where do I find the "crashdumps" (hopefully they aren't overwritten by subsequent activity)?

I looked here: C:\Users\mark\AppData\Local\CrashDumps as per page 183 of the Manual, and there are no "SBPro*.*.dmp." files. Perhaps because I selected "close the application" to close the dialogue box rather than Alt Ctrl Del?

Edited by Gibsonm

That would be where you would find them, they only generate on a crash but not on a hang.

When the hangs happened, you were moving the wire yourself or was one of the clients moving it? If you weren't moving the wire, were you in map view or in 3d view?

Edited by TankHunter

In the Map view, trying to move them in the Planning Phase.

There were short pauses as I tried to move them from the small area off the map into the blue dashed box / white circle on the map. The usual, click and drag then wait for them to "jump" from one area to the next.

The big issue happened when trying to drag them within the blue dashed box / white circle region.

I had to relocate them because while the wire could go into the blue dashed box, the infantry couldn't move beyond the white circle. Therefore it wasn't possible to create a complex obstacle in the town, covered by the Infantry.

Accordingly I had to deploy the Infantry in the white circle and then try and bring the wire back to areas where the Infantry could cover it with "fire and view".

The "hangs" occurred during this process of movng the wire.

1. Click.

2. Attempt to drag.

3. Blue Circle.

4. Eventually "Do you want to wait for the application to recover or quit?" message.

Edited by Gibsonm

Unsure if this helps but ....

Just tried an offline session using the same 4.162 Server executable.

Nothing else on Blue or Red was moved from their start locations.

I was able to move the wire from the off map area into the blue dashed box area and then move it again into the white circle area.

Of course no other players involved. I'm also not sure if the networking code is loaded for an offline session.

Now trying a "network session" as the Host but with no other players ...

For the first 90 secs or so I couldn't move the wire (could only re-orientate it in the off map area).

"Eventually" and after zooming in to "14.2" I was able to move it into the Blue dashed area and then into the White circle without a crash.

On 12/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, TankHunter said:

Thank you Gibson! Do you know if you or someone else, one of the clients maybe, was moving any of the vehicle emplacements too?

From the other Blue player:

On 12/29/2019 at 11:53 AM, natemo said:

im pretty sure i was not moving anything during the crash

He had of course successfully moved units and scrapes prior to the crash.

Indeed we were talking about the best way to occupy them (i.e. setup behind and then use the Defend tactic for the AI to occupy, as opposed to trying to set the vehicle up "in" the scrape) before the crash happened.

Edited by Gibsonm