Persistent cursor with Track IR or Joystick for view

Splash

I got to sit down and actually play through a mission over the holidays, but found myself annoyed. In the current version (4.162) the white arrow cursor keeps reappearing in the middle of my view. I'm not using the mouse. I use Track IR ... but I did a little testing and found that this also happens with Track IR disabled and using a joystick for view control instead of the mouse.

This is difficult to explain without a video or screenshot ... but the cursor doesn't appear in screenies, so ...

When in F1 view (any position -- TC, gunner, driver) looking around inside the tank or unbuttoned ... and also in the optics -- F2, F3, etc. -- the cursor eventually pops into the center of the screen. Sometimes it takes a few seconds. I can move it off the screen with the mouse, but when I change my view (Q or Z for example) it immediately reappears in the center. Moving the view or optic on the x axis with the joystick temporarily makes it disappear, but it immediately reappears.

This is very annoying and distracting -- especially when the big white arrow pops up in the center of gunnery optics.

I'm not sure when this started happening, as I didn't get any actual mission sim time in versions 4.160 and 4.161 ... but I'm positive it wasn't persistent in 4.159. In 4.159 and prior -- using Track IR -- the arrow cursor would only appear if you moved the mouse, and would disappear if you moved an x axis. Again, I'm using Track IR for F1 views ... and principally the joystick for optics views.

If no one else is seeing this, I'll continue to troubleshoot my own setup. I think I ruled out a false signal from my HOTAS.  My next step might be trying a new mouse, or at least moving it to a different USB port. Maybe it's sending an otherwise undetectable signal. ?   It's just your basic, run-of-the-mill 5-button optical mouse. It's also my first go at playing since installing Windows 10, so I can't discount that as a clue.

Yeah, I guess I'm quick to blame Win10 because I don't trust it, and this is the second SB problem I've seen since moving from my beloved Windows 7.

But I found the culprit: I had forgotten about my CH Throttle's microstick, which I never use but was still set as a mouse emulator.

I de-programmed that function in the CH software, and the persistent cursor seems to have gone away. The microstick had a huge deadzone, but still must have been sending a signal that SB interpreted as mouse movement.

So, thanks for looking, but nothing to see here. Move along.