TGIF: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

• Moderators
4 hours ago, BoomsBangsandCans said:

Newbie here, I'm gonna miss this one since I'm waiting on the update to download, but look forward to branching out to multiplayer next week. 

No worries, just attend when you are able if you like - there are always plenty of units to go around. :)

• Moderators

One last thing, just FYI:

In about 2 to 4 weeks or so the plan is to restart the Cold War "Firefight 79" mini-campaign/event again, this time with +1 scenario added to the set and of course some updates. Get your tap dancing shoes on if you are interested.

👞👞   👠👠

• Moderators

Thanks for playing everyone. Actually, the scenario went longer in time than it should have, so time would have expired by about 20 minutes or so and Blue would have won, however an error in the scenario caused Red to have no artillery or airstrikes.  So, let's call it a draw.  

I fixed all those issues for "next time".

Either way, it was a good fight. 😁

• Moderators

19 FEB 2021:

Tactical Chess 03-GLW3-4162-OMU-LT

(provided that the host (Sean) has electricity and Internet, of course)

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes
  • Random CO selection? Yes
  • Minimum # players: 10

NOTES:

• Moderators

26 FEB 2021:

TGIF_CUANAVALE_4XXX_OMU_VX

(if this is not possible, because it hasn't been converted to 4.1 in time, then we will play Air Assault 02-4250-FMU)

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes
  • Random CO selection? Yes
  • Minimum # players: 12

NOTES:

• Moderators

1 MAR 2021:

We are starting the "Firefight" series, which are 10 scenarios played through and I will total the score from week to week (its cumulative).

Firefight 79-S01-4161 + Firefight 79-S02-4161

Two scenarios, they are both short with quick planning, about 60 min each.

Points are compared week to week (Blue is positive points and Red is negative points). By the end of Mission  10, if Blue has +500 points or more, or if Red has -500 points or less, then that side wins, otherwise it’s a Draw.

Current Score: 0

Example: Mission 1 score: Blue 500, Red 600; Mission 2 score: Blue 750, Red 250

Total: +400 (in Blue's favor)

(500-600)+(750-250)

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No (unless sides are uneven or imbalanced), ideally teams should remain the same for all 10 scenarios (stay on the side you started on).
  • Random CO selection? No (unless no volunteers), ideally the same CO will CO all 10 scenarios, or someone else on the side will have to step up from mission to mission (rotate within the team).
  • Minimum # players: 8

NOTES:

• Moderators

Thanks for playing the first two Firefight games, it was exciting. 😬

I will total the score up and keep track of it week by week.

So basically, the issue with the first scenario is that the Soviet side was supposed to get points for % of enemy destroyed (up to 400 for 40%).  We destroyed 29.4% so that comes out to about 72.5% of 40%, which is 294 points (I actually ran the corrected scenario again and destroyed 5x Blue tanks and 4x Red tanks to test it) This issue was fixed in the scoring for 'next time'.

//Sometimes a score will result in 0 for a side but this should be rare unless the score specifically works out that way in the description, and especially not in the first scenario which is supposed to work as a mirror image (scoring wise) of Scenario 2.//

So that would mean the score so far is:

Scenario 1

• US: +706
  • Soviet: -294

Scenario 2

• US +326
  • Soviet: -674

Total

• +64 (Draw, US favor)

(By the end of Scenario 10, if Total is >= +500 then US wins, or if Total is <= -500 then Soviet wins, otherwise its a DRAW.)

• Moderators

Also, I corrected the text in the TGIF scenario listing about how the score works. I said that by the end of the last scenario (scenario 10), if Blue has +1000 points or Red has -1000 points, then that side wins, but actually I meant to say +500 and -500 (the total spread between being 1000). 

• Moderators

12 MAR 2021:

We are starting the "Firefight" series, which are 10 scenarios played through and I will total the score from week to week (its cumulative).

Firefight 79-S03-4248 + Firefight 79-S04-4248

Two scenarios, they are both short'ish with quick planning, about 60-90 min each. But we have to move relatively quickly in Planning Phase.

Points are compared week to week (Blue is positive points and Red is negative points). By the end of Mission  10, if Blue has +500 points or more, or if Red has -500 points or less, then that side wins, otherwise it’s a Draw.

Current Score: +64 (US favor)

Example: Mission 1 score: Blue 500, Red 600; Mission 2 score: Blue 750, Red 250

Total: +400 (in Blue's favor)

(500-600)+(750-250)

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No (unless sides are uneven or imbalanced), ideally teams should remain the same for all 10 scenarios (stay on the side you started on).
  • Random CO selection? No (unless no volunteers), ideally the same CO will CO all 10 scenarios, or someone else on the side will have to step up from mission to mission (rotate within the team).
  • Minimum # players: 8

NOTES:

• Moderators

Thanks for playing! I made a couple of improvements to Scenario 3 and 4 for "next time" -- time was too short, but more on this below.

After tonight the score so far is:

Scenario 1

• US: +706
  • Soviet: -294

Scenario 2

• US +326
  • Soviet: -674

Scenario 3

• US +800
  • Soviet: -100

Scenario 4

• US 1000
  • Soviet: 0

Total

• +1764 (Draw, US winning)

(By the end of Scenario 10, if Total is >= +500 then US wins, or if Total is <= -500 then Soviet wins, otherwise its a DRAW.)

Regarding Scenario 4:

For the moment, I am leaning towards replaying Scenario 4, which is why I didn't total the score yet. I know Blue wants to stop a mud hole in the Soviet side, and that is considered "fun" for some people, but there are two major problems with the scenario:

1. Soviets definitely didn't have enough time in that one, given that I subtracted 10 minutes from last time we played it (same was true of the first scenario, which I fixed).  The issue here is that I was dead set on making the scenarios short enough to be able to play two in one TGIF, but I ended up making both too short, and I am just going to give up on that idea.

2. The visibility was incorrectly set in the second scenario, as you can see the briefing says 3500m but it was accidentally set to be 2000m, which is terrible for Red's situational awareness on the attack.

If we replay it then I will post that scenario again (updated with the correct visibility and time limit) again this week and we can just consider that a trial/practice run. If not, then we will just move on and keep going, we will see how I feel about it. Given that I won't want to derail the whole thing on a few mistakes in the scenario, and rushing it, I am leaning more towards replaying it at the moment, so don't be surprised if we do. 

(And yes, if we do replay it, and the Soviets somehow blow out Blue by 1000 to 0, then I will just split it 500/500 to be fair to Blue, otherwise we will just keep the score, whatever it is - I am not trying to replay it until the Soviets win hands down, just want it to be a fair play through.)

• Moderators

Actually, never mind - I realize that even with +10 minutes and better visibility, the scenario could very well have been the same exact result. So, lets keep going. I screwed it up and I fixed the scenario for next time.

Also, looking ahead at the scenarios remaining, there are several that Blue might end up with 0 points with Red at 1000, so let's just keep going forward.   

• Moderators

Well,  the Dragon is only 30mm more penetration than the 1980s LAW, so as long as the tanks are NOT getting hit in the side with them then they should be able to withstand some hits.

9 hours ago, BoomsBangsandCans said:

I'll be there this weekend, I had the family come visit me on post this past weekend

OK, everyone is welcome.