TGIF: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

I was thinking about the most recent campaign, and as a SB noob, I think it was eye-opening for me in terms of showing how powerful the M113 and the Dragon can be.  My opinion about both was shaped by the old Microprose M1 Tank Platoon (my second tank sim), where both were close to useless.  In our campaign games, the M113 was a worthy adversary and a major threat.  Same goes for the Dragon in the constrained terrain of some of those missions.  If that was part of the purpose of choosing that time period for the campaign, mission accomplished.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Valleyboy said:

I was thinking about the most recent campaign, and as a SB noob, I think it was eye-opening for me in terms of showing how powerful the M113 and the Dragon can be.  My opinion about both was shaped by the old Microprose M1 Tank Platoon (my second tank sim), where both were close to useless.  In our campaign games, the M113 was a worthy adversary and a major threat.  Same goes for the Dragon in the constrained terrain of some of those missions.  If that was part of the purpose of choosing that time period for the campaign, mission accomplished.

Well, actually the Dragon is not much more deadly than the LAW, and less so than the RPG-7. What it does have over both is range though. I wouldn't say the Dragon is a major threat, but certainly when used in enough numbers it can be a serious problem.

That said, yes, most games like M1 Tank Platoon only had US infantry with rifles, RPGs and M113s but in actuality, the M113 infantry platoon was pretty effective. I liked the 1978 period because both sides were pretty close in capability.

• Moderators

So FYI to all...

In the scenario tonight, I did change the Red side from Czech to Soviet (so from T-72M to T-72A), to make it more similar to the campaign. Both tanks are historical for the time period (1978) despite the model number in the tank's name, because the changes of that exact model number are superficial and (in SB representation) visual differences only.

However, the problem is that T-72A doesn't help the situation any in that scenario for Blue, so I will go back to Czech forces to help balance it out a bit better like it used to be. In the campaign, the numbers were tighter balanced (the numbers were more even), whereas this was an existing scenario that had a more difficult starting situation for Blue (hasty defense, resupply). Anyway, just FYI for "next time".

Would you check the arty on the Blue side, please?  The briefing said we had three batteries which I assumed were 3x6.  Calling three arty missions created one and had two "waiting for approval."  Same when I tried three missions with two tubes each.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

21 MAY 2021:

Island Invasion 02-4259F

(Updated, and balance further adjusted, slowly)

Sean will be out, so if we don't have 10 players then we will postpone it for next week and play a smaller alternative scenario.

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes.
  • Random CO selection? Yes.
  • Minimum # players: 10-12

NOTES:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, Volcano said:

11 JUN 2021:

OBJ_MARKET_OMU_4162_v1

After this second play-through i have made some changes to bring it more in line with the original source material, and also to adjust the balance in RED's favour a little bit.

Changelist to version 4.259b;

UK ATGM team ammo count reduced to 1/1 (was 1/2)

UK reinforcements now arrive at H+40 (was H+20)

Scoring changed to REGION type (was FORCES type)

Soviet tanks improved to 1985 type w ERA (was 84 wo ERA)

Time limit set to 120 minutes (was 120-10%?)

Soviet artillery is now on map with limited He/SMK/ICM/Precision ammo types (was off map with no Precision type)

Map updates now FMU (was OMU)

UK airstrikes reduced to 6 (was 8 )

UK LYNX now field rifle teams (was rifle teams & GPMG)

Soviet BMP platoons lead vehicle now fields AT7 Saxhorn (was AT4 proxy)

Soviet ATGM teams ammo reduced to 1/1 (was 1/2)

Soviet tanks now have AP/HE/HEAT ammo types available (was only AP/HE)

MEH