TGIF: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

• Moderators

14 OCT 2022:

Firefight 79-S01-4357

Firefight 79-S02-4357

(Two scenarios which are both short, which will start the Firefight 79 Campaign, consisting of 10 scenarios. Once a side is chosen then participants will remain on that side until the campaign is completed.)

Points are compared week to week (Blue is positive points and Red is negative points). By the end of Mission  10, if Blue has +500 points or more, or if Red has -500 points or less, then that side wins, otherwise it’s a Draw. 

Also, like in the recent MBT 87 campaign, that system of Awards will be used for extra points that might influence the final outcome.

Current Score: 0

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Firefight_79

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No, unless the teams do not seem balanced at the start.
  • Random CO selection? No.
  • Minimum # players: 8

NOTES:

• Moderators

Thanks for playing the first two Firefight 79 scenarios.

As for the first scenario, I discovered that the scoring was WAAAY off, broken on the Soviet side, and inconsistent with the briefing on the US side (I had been trying to improve the FF79 scoring based off of experience from the MBT87 campaign, and I overlooked a few things there).

I corrected the score and briefing then ran a test, replicated the result (destroyed 5x tanks on US side, and 4x tanks on Soviet side), and the score came out to be:

US: +669.1

Soviet: -330.9

Result: +338.2 (rather than +518, which is a significant difference worthy of correction here)

Normally I let the chips fall where they may, mistakes and all -- but since the score was so broken I will go with this corrected total for scenario #1. I am sure everyone understands that we cannot start the campaign's first scenario off on a broken foot. 👍

The page has been updated here:

image.thumb.png.a9e33124d0130342005c7685e57643e7.png

• Moderators

21 OCT 2022:

Firefight 79-S03-4357

Points are compared week to week (Blue is positive points and Red is negative points). By the end of Mission  10, if Blue has +500 points or more, or if Red has -500 points or less, then that side wins, otherwise it’s a Draw. 

On the other hand, if the points are either > +1500 or < -1500 for two weeks in a row then the campaign ends early.

Also, like in the recent MBT 87 campaign, that system of Awards will be used for extra points that might influence the final outcome.

Current Score: +667

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No. Any new players will balance out the sides as necessary.

NOTES:

• Moderators

28 OCT 2022:

Firefight 79-S04-4363

On the other hand, if the points are either > +1500 or < -1500 for two weeks in a row then the campaign ends early.

Current Score: +1,464

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

NOTES:

• Moderators

Thanks for playing the 4th Firefight 79 scenario.  Round of applause for Tankhunter, the MVP of the scenario. 👏🙌

Current Score: +2,059

The fact of the matter is, at this point we are now in early termination territory. If Red cannot bring the score down to +1,500 in the next mission, then the campaign will end early in a Blue victory.

image.thumb.png.5a574f2545a2de46b725d2e97931e024.png

• Moderators

4 NOV 2022:

Firefight 79-S05-4363

(scenario is in the SB Lobby in TS)

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

NOTES:

• Moderators

Thanks for playing the 5th Firefight 79 scenario.  Great job Red, they gained just enough ground back in points to keep the Total Scenario Score (pre-awards modification) within the 1500 range. This gets them out of the early termination situation. 👍

Current Score: +1,527

image.thumb.jpeg.6cd88fd19d05a17c8ef81bcec4efa519.jpeg

• Moderators

11 NOV 2022:

Firefight 79-S06-4363

Firefight 79-S07-4363a

(scenarios are in the SB Lobby in TS)

The plan is to play TWO scenarios this time, because both are 60 minutes long, but of course it depends on how things go. If anyone has to leave after the first mission, then that is OK, because the second one is smaller than the first.

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

NOTES:

• Moderators

I'll be updating the score soon for S06 and S07.  As mentioned in the AAR, I broke the score conditions in S06 -- as the briefing states, Blue had to take both objectives, but only took one. Issue being that points were awarded for the objective score that shouldn't have been (but Red's score was correct).

image.jpeg.c6fd5dc09d0c3e706873a3009ac92817.jpeg

The error being that it should have been "All regions in the group", instead.

If anyone wants to check that, you can always open the scenario in the Mission Editor and look at the US side's score to confirm the error if you don't trust me. 😌

(So, I will reproduce the scenario result in a test using the AAR and report file, and determine what the score should have been, based on the replicated result (just trying to be fair with the points, since the score has been reworked  entirely to make things "better" (no possibilities for 1000 to 0 scores), but if course it seems I messed a couple up so far.)

• Moderators

OK, I was very thorough, reproducing the situation and it seems that it was only 120 points that Blue had extra when taking the one objective at 51:48.

Not too bad, actually. So that means 405 - 120 = 285 (US) vs. 541 (Soviet), difference of -256 (instead of -136).

I'll update the score shortly... 👌

• Moderators

18 NOV 2022:

Firefight 79-S08-4363

On the other hand, if the non-awards modified total scenario points are either > +1500 or < -1500 for two weeks in a row then the campaign ends early.

Current Score: +924

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

NOTES:

• Moderators

Thanks for playing the 8th Firefight 79 scenario.  Lots of suspense, but in the end it turned out to be indecisive, but Red did gain some ground in points, so good job. 👍

Currently, Blue is winning by 334 points.

Current Score: +834

(Left-click on the image to enlarge it)

image.thumb.jpeg.7aae902d5eb75309fceac2aee87d09bd.jpeg

• Moderators

Just FYI, as mentioned in the previous TGIF, we will put the campaign on hold this TGIF because several people (including myself) will not be available due to the Thanksgiving holiday. We will resume the campaign the Friday after that (DEC 2nd), and I will post the scenario at the beginning of that week.

(The campaign was originally scheduled where the last mission would have been played last TGIF, but if we recall, it had a delayed start by two weeks).

Of course feel free to meet up with others and play a scenario of your choice, or otherwise go spend time with your other family.  😎

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

2 DEC 2022:

Firefight 79-S09-4363

On the other hand, if the non-awards modified total scenario points are either > +1500 or < -1500 for two weeks in a row then the campaign ends early.

Current Score: +834

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

NOTES:

• Moderators

Thanks for playing the 9th Firefight 79 scenario.  Blue did a fine job gaining more points.

Currently, Blue is winning by 853 points.

One mission remaining. The question was can Red still get a draw? Yes, it is certainly possible to get the score down to 500 or less (that is why the total victory threshold is 1500, not 1000).

IMPORTANT:

I am sure sure there will be no issues, but just in case...

If Blue decides not to attack, or to do a half-assed attack (subjectively determined by the campaign coordinator, but would be obvious) in the final scenario to avoid losing points, then Red will be given bonus points.

(You can bet that the bonus points will be just enough for a draw -- to compensate for Blue not following orders (no free lunch here!)  The campaign ends in a fight, not on a fizzle; the final battle is win or draw.)

So, let's have a good fight in the last scenario. 😎

Current Score: +1353

(Left-click on the image to enlarge it)

image.thumb.jpeg.ce8a3551489c69f8f0cabc99557c8b2e.jpeg