TGIF: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

• Moderators

...and now back to your regularly scheduled program...

12 MAY 2023:

Hasty Defense 01 (US) M60A3-HTH-MAD-4379

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes.
  • Random CO selection? Yes.
  • Minimum # players: 10 to 12

NOTES:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So lots of fixes were made to the scenario from feedback, so that is good. All I ask is that in 12 months when it comes back around, give it another chance and I will improve your experience each time.

Additionally, the issue with the wheel/track damage seems like it might be an actual problem that will be addressed soon. I will investigate this more, but it wouldn't probably be noticeable in the past because it requires certain conditions on the map (desert, allowing high speeds, and a certain bumpiness level -- the rocks themselves are just for looks to let the user know the ground is bumpy, and they should use some caution, and have no bearing on anything). That said, the bumpiness level of this terrain is not such that should even cause the damage in the first place, so I have to dig down and figure out where the issue actually is (it is either a bug in the damage behavior, or an issue with the damage probability variables in the calculation itself).

But either way, it will be improved in the engine itself, not the scenario - the map was actually not the issue). Now whether that means an update to the variables that handles the probabilities, or the fixing of a bug, we shall see, but it will have to be done in a hotfix patch at some point. 

But at least I have discovered that there is a real behavior issue there, so that is another good thing to come out of the session (I say this because if you had a particularly frustrating time then it won't be for nothing!). 😬

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

14 JUL 2023:

MBT-S05A-19-Dark Passage (FRG)-4374 (Pt 1 of 2)

(This is a two part linked scenario. The FRG (West German) side's losses will carry over into the 2nd part next TGIF. Both scenarios are new, never played, so keep that in mind -- things may need to be (and will be) adjusted or corrected as usual).

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes.
  • Random CO selection? Yes.
  • Minimum # players: 8

NOTES:

• Moderators

So just FYI:

I looked again, while fixing the issues, and the idea is that the score in the first mission doesn't matter if we play it as a 2 mission mini-op. But, we can use the score to at least judge how well both sides did.

So by recalculating the score (because it was broken), this is the result:

FRG: 737

Soviet: 253

(difference of 484)

The idea is, whatever vehicles breakthrough in the first scenario, are what is available to the FRG in the 2nd, or else if there were prevented from breaking through then the Soviets win and the 2nd is not played. Since the Soviets retreated in the first scenario, all remaining FRG units breakthrough for the 2nd. 

The 2nd mission's score is what decides who won.

• Moderators

21 JUL 2023:

MBT-S06A-20-Counterstroke (FRG)-4379-xP2 (Pt 2 of 2)

(This is a two part linked scenario. The FRG (West German) side's losses from 1st part carries over to this 2nd part. Basically, the FRG side has more than enough to accomplish the mission starting in part 1, and now in part 2 has just enough to do so, so be careful. 

Both scenarios are new, never played, so keep that in mind -- things may need to be (and will be) adjusted or corrected as usual).

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No (same teams as last time, drafting only new players).
  • Random CO selection? No (same CO as last time unless players on that side want to swap CO).
  • Minimum # players: 8

NOTES:

• Moderators

Thanks to all who played the 2-part mini-operation. 

The end result was a draw (because neither side had 550 points in the final scenario's score), with a final score difference of just 9 points (out of 1000 total). So, very close fight.

We will try it again at some point next year, to make sure I ironed out all the issues with the first scenario (briefing and condition/event issues).

• Moderators

11 AUG 2023:

China Rising-AU Defense 2021-4379

(We will try this one again, with more people available this TGIF -- having had some people out last time. If still not enough, then I may have a smaller new scenario ready to try instead). 🍺

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes
  • Random CO selection? Yes
  • Minimum # players: 10-12

NOTES: