Newbie needs help on Button setup

Rhinozherous

Hello! 

I am new to SB and I come from the Flightsim corner, where I fly DCS and P3D. This is the reason why I use a TM Warthog HOTAS. 

Now I wanted to ask if anyone can recommend which buttons to bind on the HOTAS. I have a few ideas after doing some tutorials but I am not sure what else could be good to have on the Joystick. 

I found the PDF template for the warthog in the download section but as it doesnt recommend any setups I am as overhelmed as I am when looking in the setup part of the sim main menu 😛

Thank you very much! 

• Members

Step 1 would be to recognize that buttons 1...4 are hardcoded in Steel Beasts and cannot be reassigned.

Step 2 would probably be to settle for the role in which you will spend most of your time as the importance of some features are somewhat dependent on whether you want to be the gunner, vehicle commander, or platoon leader (anything beyond that means "like platoon commander", just with more time spent in the map screen).

Step 3, do you have a favorite vehicle. In that case you may want to check if there are vehicle-specific commands of interest. For example, with the CV90/35 you have numerous firing modes for the same KETF ammunition, so the selection of firing modes has a bigger influence than with pretty much all other vehicles (except maybe CV90/40 with 3P ammo).

But the more specific your selection is, the less useful things become if, for whatever reason, you're not in the "sweet spot". So it's probnably best to use the most common commands on the easier to reach buttons, and to assign the exotic stuff to more remote locations.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Step 1 would be to recognize that buttons 1...4 are hardcoded in Steel Beasts and cannot be reassigned.

Step 2 would probably be to settle for the role in which you will spend most of your time as the importance of some features are somewhat dependent on whether you want to be the gunner, vehicle commander, or platoon leader (anything beyond that means "like platoon commander", just with more time spent in the map screen).

Step 3, do you have a favorite vehicle. In that case you may want to check if there are vehicle-specific commands of interest. For example, with the CV90/35 you have numerous firing modes for the same KETF ammunition, so the selection of firing modes has a bigger influence than with pretty much all other vehicles (except maybe CV90/40 with 3P ammo).

But the more specific your selection is, the less useful things become if, for whatever reason, you're not in the "sweet spot". So it's probnably best to use the most common commands on the easier to reach buttons, and to assign the exotic stuff to more remote locations.

Very helpful, thank you very much! 

I think I will play around more and find my way of tanksimming before doing a complete setup. 

Altough I know my favorite vehicle already, its the Leo.