Vehicle emplacement freeze and render issue

Nasder

I got my hands on 4.1 just a few days ago. Got the 4.162 installer and the map installer. Nothing else is installed, I removed previous version before installing.

I did a  small scenario just to look at and test new stuff and features and had plenty of freezes when exiting the AAR. I get a question to save the AAR, The moment I click yes or no, it either freeze instantly or showed me "please wait" with a loading bar and froze without progress. This was when using the test button in the editor to test the scenario. 

I eventually narrowed it down to the vehicle emplacements. If I don't add one, everything is fine. If I add one, there's a very large chance of a freeze after exiting the AAR (and most of the times if I alt-tabbing during the session) 

When opening the scenario in an offline session, I have the text "streaming terrain" blink constantly and the emplacement doesn't render, once again. It freeze when exiting the AAR and often when alt-tabbing.

I've tried reloading the map in the scenario (Scania SEx (edited)) and importing the default theme from it and it didn't solve the issue, with that said the issue appears on all other maps I've tried too. But it was a mentioned possible fix in another thread

In mentioned thread with someone having an issue with the render of the emplacements, there was talk about a terrain streaming slider but I can not find such a thing neither in the game or manual. If it refers to the dynamic cache size. I've tried it at 50, 100 and inbetween without change.

Very very very very few times have I been able to test the scenario in the editor without the crash or in offline session. It's at the point where it is an anomaly when it works. If I then try it again in offline mode the problem come back. This is even when closing and restarting the game. If I open it in the editor and test it without saving, I might or might not get the "streaming terrain" in the editor followed by a freeze. If change something and save (or even just save it again), the "streaming terrain" doesn't appear, but the freeze after the AAR or alt-tabbing is again very likely. With that, I thought it might be some permission issue, but that remains even when I launch as admin.

I'll attach two debug logs, one where it froze and one when it didn't. During these, I just loaded the scenario, started it and quit instantly.

Freeze.txt No freeze.txt

It happens with each scenario I've made. But here's the one I did my last few hours of testing this issue with.

UPDATE: Clearing the LOS in the planning phase appear to fix the issue for this scenario for me. Never touched it at all during the creation so I never thought it would do something for me. Now I need to test what happens when I create one further away from the unit I start with.

UPDATE 2: When placing a second emplacement further away, clearing LOS during planning phase appears to still be the fix.

nas_test.sce

Edited by Nasder
Updated status of testing.

2 hours ago, Jam said:

Sorry, but what do you mean exactly with "Clearing the LOS"?

After loading the scenario, you enter the briefing screen. Where you can select terrain, LOS, report and briefing. Pick terrain, right-click on the map and pick "clear LOS"

Hello! I was trying to reproduce  your problems but without much  luck

1)  Small freezes when terrain streaming is in progress, or if you are switching from desktop to  SB running in the full screen mode are  very annoying, but inevitable in many  cases. It's a price of the new terrain. If  they are lasting  longer than  few seconds and  SB is unable to recover, then  there is a real problem.

2) Freezes occurring when you are exiting AAR require investigation

3) You mentioned crashes. Can you, please, elaborate more? Also, if we are talking about  crashes-to-desktop, then may be there some   crash dumps are left, and  they could be very useful to sort out  troubles you are experiencing. Could you check  C:\Users\[your_user_name_here]\AppData\Local\CrashDumps folder, and if it contains  any recent crashdump files generated  during SB's CTDs, forward those to us(please don't upload them here, but sent via email to @Ssnake)

4) Please try to run SB in  windowed mode. First of all,  this would  let you see, if there some error message pops up on the background. Plus, actually some of the issues may go away.

5) Just curious  about your computer's specs- what  is the CPU and amount of video RAM

1. The freezes were not small, they were complete freezes. But that problem is gone now, simply by using the "clear LOS" thing.
2. The freezing when exiting AAR, went away by the same "clear LOS" aswell.
3. If I used the term crashes, I meant complete freeze, as in forced to close program using task manager. Haven't had a single CTD.
4. Tried that during my testing, made no difference. No error messages or pop ups in the background. 

5. A fairly old system. i7 6700K @ 4Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX1060 6GB

As long as I remember to clear LOS prior to starting a scenario, I'm good. Then the game runs as it should. Failing to do so will not render any vehicle emplacements properly and I will get a complete freeze during the exit of the AAR.

I've uninstalled Steel Beasts completely, removed any trace of it besides my profile, restarted. installed it again, restarted again.

I've found some more things about the issue.

1. I don't need to clear LOS, I just need to enter the terrain part once loaded the scenario before pressing start. I only entered the terrain part previously to clear LOS. Pressing start directly with the briefing still up makes the game "stream terrain", not show emplacements properly, freeze completely during alt-tabbing, exiting the AAR and sometimes when using the AAR interface to jump between events (maybe even when playing it back, hardly ever do that).

2. If I enter terrain part before starting and have an unmade emplacement that is built during the scenario, the scenario plays well but the game freeze completely if I jump during events in the AAR. Exiting the AAR directly appears to works fine.

Edited by Nasder

• 2 weeks later...