Where is the T-72B1 gunner's sight?

MisterCommander

Where is the gunner's sight located in reference to the main gun on the T-72?  Also, where is it located outside of the tank?

It seems that it is higher than the main gun.

I had a situation where I could easily see the enemy tank through the gunner's sight, but when I fired the TC immediately reported short when I know my range was correct.  I think I was hitting the hill directly in front of me instead of shooting over it like the sight showed.  There was a gap between the top of the hill and the bottom of the target, so it looked to me like was clear of the top of the hill.

8 hours ago, MisterCommander said:

Where is the gunner's sight located in reference to the main gun on the T-72?  Also, where is it located outside of the tank?

It seems that it is higher than the main gun.

I had a situation where I could easily see the enemy tank through the gunner's sight, but when I fired the TC immediately reported short when I know my range was correct.  I think I was hitting the hill directly in front of me instead of shooting over it like the sight showed.  There was a gap between the top of the hill and the bottom of the target, so it looked to me like was clear of the top of the hill.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks, Stormrider.  It took me a few minutes to put all of the pieces together, but I got it.  That drawing was key.  I can clearly see the issue now.

My guess, as an American so the metric system is not native to me, is that the gunner's sight is about 20 to 25 cm higher than the horizontal line of the main gun.  If the gun is pointed down at all, then the difference and hence the error is greater even, since the length of the barrel will multiply this difference way out at the tip.

9 hours ago, Volcano said:

Not sure if you found this yet, but if not, then it will certainly help...

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=T-72B1_(m.1984)#Gunner.27s_Position_F6

Thanks, Volcano.  I have seen that before.  A whole lot of words on that page.  I am sure the answer to my question is in there somewhere, but finding is a bit tedious for me.  Thanks again.