Help Getting Old Scenarios to Run

CrackerJack

• Members

I don't think the legacy map installation will make a big difference. The heightmap "Wolfsburg" has already been converted to the new format. I would recommend in this case to open the Mission Editor with a blank scenario, and then to try and open the Tanks scenario from there. This will bring up a map extraction wizard that you can then use to create a delta map of the Woldsburg package. Afterwards you can then try to load the scenario again and replace the map in it with the new one that you just extracted. That way the conversion will be complete.

As you speculated the Legacy map installation did not make a difference.  I opened the Mission Editor and then selected Extract Map Pkge and the scenario.  Which gave:

image.png.8995edf1825ab272c95fcd7058df55fb.png

And then Delta map selected

image.png.c128236055b2214d2da363226d1b2d98.png

And then this which was where it stopped

image.png.74ddefeb03acfbf0f5ac6d4123d1c939.png

It seems that I would 59GB!  A lot more space than I expected for one map?  Which I don't have on that drive but I have enough space on another drive.  Any suggestions please and thanks.

Edited by CrackerJack

• Members
8 hours ago, CrackerJack said:

It seems that I would 59GB!  A lot more space than I expected for one map?  Which I don't have on that drive but I have enough space on another drive.  Any suggestions please and thanks.

The disk space usage is a worst case estimation as the converted map would still be uncompressed until you publish it. The error message is misleading in that the full disk space requirement will not be used until you start leveling roads etc., which all needs high resolution data to work. In that case the full dimensions of the map must be stored in what we call an "HNT" file, and that has full 78cm grid resolution. Most of that will "disappear" again after compression (publishing), but until it's published the file will sit there and hog a lot of disk space. So, if you just convert but don't edit the map with any of the elevation tools, only about 800 MByte will be used as Dark wrote (and even less so after compression).

That being said, if you would rather use the other disk, there's two options. Uninstall the map package and Steel Beasts, then install the map packages first and pick the other drive as the map data destination. Then install Steel Beasts. Or, move the entire map packages folder to the new disk. When Steel Beasts starts the next time you will be forced to enter the location of the map data before you can proceed with anything. Once that you confirmed the new location, everything's fine again.