PC build questions

Scrapper_511

2 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Thanks stormrider. I'm really glad the Tomahawk MAX detected the CPU and RAM correctly out of the box. No fancy cooling here. Just the two 140mm included in the Fractal case, and a Phantec (sp?) 140mm pointing out back. I'm also using the stock AMD cooler! Thanks again for the RAM and monitor advise.

I just ordered this MB: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1832_1833&item_id=123797&language=en with a 3600 and this RAM: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was the same price as the Tomahawk at this deal (about $110USD).  I was leaning towards the much cheaper ASRock boards (I still have two $40 ASRock H81 boards running strong in my kids PC's), but decided to splurge a bit this time.  Finally upgraded my i5 4670k@4.5GHz that I bought used several years ago with the MB/Ram.  Everyone keeps telling me I'll see a big boost in games, so we'll see.  I'm skeptical, but I think the 1% lows will probably improve. 

I'm curious to know what you think of the 5700 Mech card?  Lots of reviews on Newegg have it overheating and I know they had to redesign all of the cards because of the thermal pads, but the 5700 and XT are very tempting as they are so cheap compared to a 2070 Super.  I have an EVGA 1070 right now and will just give it to my son.  Good to see your RAM was recognized at 3200 right away. I was a bit concerned about that being an issue.

Edited by aleader

1 hour ago, aleader said:

I'm curious to know what you think of the 5700 Mech card?  Lots of reviews on Newegg have it overheating and I know they had to redesign all of the cards because of the thermal pads, but the 5700 and XT are very tempting as they are so cheap compared to a 2070 Super.  I have an EVGA 1070 right now and will just give it to my son.  Good to see your RAM was recognized at 3200 right away. I was a bit concerned about that being an issue.

My RX5700 has been great so far. I've ran some graphics intensive games/benchmarks and temps are normal and no freezes/crashes. My card was not part of the thermal pad fix because I can still see the skinny pads on those two chips towards the edge of the card. Good luck finding RAM. Although you can't go wrong picking out a model from your motherboard's compatibility list, the lists are not always complete. For instance, the Corsair RAM I picked was not listed on MSI's compatibility list but it was on Corsair's.

17 minutes ago, Scrapper_511 said:

My RX5700 has been great so far. I've ran some graphics intensive games/benchmarks and temps are normal and no freezes/crashes. My card was not part of the thermal pad fix because I can still see the skinny pads on those two chips towards the edge of the card. Good luck finding RAM. Although you can't go wrong picking out a model from your motherboard's compatibility list, the lists are not always complete. For instance, the Corsair RAM I picked was not listed on MSI's compatibility list but it was on Corsair's.

Ok, good to know.  I'd read that they finally fixed the driver issues for the most part.  I haven't owned an AMD card since I believe my ATI X1600XT.  Have you considered adding the 5700XT BIOS thing I've read about for those cards (to get 5700XT-like performance)?  I ordered that RAM because I have a feeling prices are going to shoot up again and I trust Corsair RAM.  They're already creeping up and I'm kicking myself now for not ordering it when it was $79.  I didn't even check the list for the board because as you said, it generally doesn't matter if it's listed, if it's listed at all.  Crossing my fingers that it works at 3200.

• Members
4 hours ago, aleader said:

Finally upgraded my i5 4670k@4.5GHz that I bought used several years ago with the MB/Ram.  Everyone keeps telling me I'll see a big boost in games, so we'll see.  I'm skeptical, but I think the 1% lows will probably improve. 

Every processor generation, as a rule of thumb, offers a 15...20% increase in computational power per cycle. So, with the same number of cores and the same nominal processor frequency, five generations later you can expect an almost double CPU power. Chances are, in the meantime you'll also see more CPU cores for the same price, so for all tasks that can be parallelized there's another improvement to be expected. For Steel Beasts, more cores mean shorter loading times for scenarios, if nothing else. This can be pretty dramatic, actually. We recently compared a 2.4 GHz dual core CPU from about seven, eight years ago with a current i9 CPU. The loading times for a certain scenario were about 50 times faster (!) - that's 30 seconds on the modern computer, or 20 minutes on the old one. Granted, an extreme case, but nevertheless a tangible effect.

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Every processor generation, as a rule of thumb, offers a 15...20% increase in computational power per cycle. So, with the same number of cores and the same nominal processor frequency, five generations later you can expect an almost double CPU power. Chances are, in the meantime you'll also see more CPU cores for the same price, so for all tasks that can be parallelized there's another improvement to be expected. For Steel Beasts, more cores mean shorter loading times for scenarios, if nothing else. This can be pretty dramatic, actually. We recently compared a 2.4 GHz dual core CPU from about seven, eight years ago with a current i9 CPU. The loading times for a certain scenario were about 50 times faster (!) - that's 30 seconds on the modern computer, or 20 minutes on the old one. Granted, an extreme case, but nevertheless a tangible effect.

Yah, I hadn't thought of the load times.  For a $500 upgrade of the whole system though, there'd better be more benefits than that.  This is my concern (mine would be the O/C i5 in the middle, at 4.5GHz though) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-oKQV4x8XU&t=445s

Almost identical FPS, and actually higher in some games.  I'm at 1440p, but that will only negate the benefits of the CPU even further I assume.  DCS players swear up and down that it will improve my lows and smooth out the framerate.  We'll see.  Very sad if it doesn't after all this time.

Edited by aleader

3 hours ago, aleader said:

Have you considered adding the 5700XT BIOS thing I've read about for those cards (to get 5700XT-like performance)?

No, I'm not going to mess with that BIOS hack. Not going to be doing any overclocking whatsoever although the Mech OC GPU does have a slight factory overclock and my RAM is in XMP mode. Goodluck with your RAM!

30 minutes ago, Scrapper_511 said:

No, I'm not going to mess with that BIOS hack. Not going to be doing any overclocking whatsoever although the Mech OC GPU does have a slight factory overclock and my RAM is in XMP mode. Goodluck with your RAM!

True, probably best to wait a few years if/when you want to upgrade...then it's maybe worth the risk.

I have a time-based license (one year) and I will be swapping parts out in the next few weeks and reinstalling windows.  From the sticky post it says my license will no longer be valid?  I assume this is incorrect and I can just email support and get it reactivated once my new build is done?

EDIT:  email sent to Ssnake

Edited by aleader