Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
solus

No maps? How to download them?

Recommended Posts

Hi! 

 

Updated to 4.162 and was surprised that the default version doesn't include any maps (almost).

 

How do I download them and install? Do I have to download all those 10 (!) parts archive? Whats the purpose of Map Tool? 

 

So many questions and confusion, really (and everything for $30).

 

 

Edited by solus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the 10 parts are the “usual” maps.

 

If some makes a new map, or modifies an existing map, you use the download manager to get it.

 

New maps are no longer posted complete to the “Downloads” section.

 

For example:

 

 The article includes a description of the map and the code needed to get it.

 

The map itself is not attached.

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gibsonm said:

Yes the 10 parts are the “usual” maps.

 

If some makes a new map, or modifies an existing map, you use the download manager to get it.

 

New maps are no longer posted complete to the “Downloads” section.

Where should I put them after downloading?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you mean the 10 parts - the installer should put them in the right place (“right” depends on where you installed the basic maps).

 

Note: You can now elect to store the maps on a different drive (not everything has to go into C:\ where you install the game).

 

The map tool puts the ones from the “Downloads“ in the right place.

 

All of this and more is in the documentation (i.e the Manual). :)

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

The map tool puts them in the right place.

Ok thx I'll give it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

If you mean the 10 parts - the installer should put them in the right place (“right” depends on where you installed the basic maps).

 

Note: You can now elect to store the maps on a different drive (not everything has to go into C:\ where you install the game).

 

The map tool puts the ones from the “Downloads“ in the right place.

 

All of this and more is in the documentation (i.e the Manual). :)

 

I downloaded the packages, installed them, but game doesn't pick them up.

 

When I start the game the path to the directory with the maps appears in the menu , but when I click OK nothing happens (game tries to launch the main menu, but fails).

 

So no Steel Beasts for me yet.

 

Any tips?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your clicking on “OK” just confirms that the path information is correct (only you will know if it is or not, since you know where you installed the maps), it doesn’t load any maps.

 

I’m not quite sure what you are expecting / hoping?

 

You only really get to “choose” a map in the Mission Editor when you are creating a new mission, or in the Map Editor when you want to edit a map.

 

If you can chose a scenario (select one from “offline sessions”), the underlying maps will be used.

 

Again I’m pretty sure how to start an offline session is described in the Manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Your clicking on “OK” just confirms that the path information is correct (only you will know if it is or not, since you know where you installed the maps), it doesn’t load any maps.

 

I’m not quite sure what you are expecting / hoping?

 

You only really get to “choose” a map in the Mission Editor when you are creating a new mission, or in the Map Editor when you want to edit a map.

 

If you can chose a scenario (select one from “offline sessions”), the underlying maps will be used.

 

Again I’m pretty sure how to start an offline session is described in the Manual.

Maybe I described it incorrectly, but the main problem is that games doesn't start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, solus said:

Maybe I described it incorrectly, but the main problem is that games doesn't start. 

OK so can you define that a little better?

 

Do you get the initial menu screen (grey with choices like “Tutorial” and “Instant Action”)?

 

If you don’t see that, then the location of the maps is the least of your problems.

 

If you do see that, what happens if you select “offline session” and then pick a scenario?

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

OK so can you define that a little better?

 

Do you get the initial menu screen (grey with choices like “Tutorial”and “Instant Action”)?

 

If you don’t see that then the location of the maps is the least of your problems.

 

If you do see that what happens if you select “offline session” and then pick a scenario?

Thank you for help. 

 

I figured out what was wrong - I had to install the maps first, and the game second.

 

Now it works... but pretty slowly.

 

Btw, are there any ways to make loading times less? It takes forever to load the map and forever to quit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With fast disks - such as SSDs - loading times are much less of an issue. Then there may be an issue with insufficient RAM, forcing WIndows to swap memory (at which point it's basically game over). If you have less than 16 GByte of RAM, the first step would be to open the Alt+D dialog box for terrain detail settings, and to move the slider at the bottom (about terrain caching) all the way to the left. If that helps - hooray, it's the lack of RAM that causes the slowdown. If the problem persists and if you're using a slow harddisk, maybe defragmentation can help. If it doesn't get better, it may be time to consider a faster disk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...