AI not "calling for fire"

Hedgehog

Hello,

Are there any known issues with getting the RED AI to call for fire?

Because I have on map arty howitzers with ammo, any AI unit can call for fire but they aren't even where there are blue map icons showing.

They call one fire mission, that's it for the entire scenario.

There are scripted calls for fire on the Red Side.

Am I missing something here?

30 minutes ago, Hedgehog said:

Because I have on map arty howitzers with ammo, ...

From memory there are issues with Mortars and BM-21s.

To be honest I use off map artillery for actual fires and anything on map is more there for widow dressing / targets, etc.

This avoids all the issues of ensuring supply trucks are nearby for reloading, etc. (e.g. the Red guns displace but the trucks don’t).

Edited by Gibsonm

AI is the same for all parties, and  arty obeys very same rules disregarding of the party it belongs, be it blue, red, green etc. So first of all- are you sure that target was not engaged by arty? Fire missions requested  by AI and executed by on-map arty are not shown on the map, but this doesn't mean that  target was not engaged... Then the next question- can target be engaged at all? Is it within arty's reach? Is  it outside of minimal range of fire(because  currently in-game arty cannot engage targets in  direct fire mode)? What about terrain, may  be there are some hills, which are preventing target from being engaged?  And most trivial thing- is AI allowed to  call for fire, and if 'yes', then what units  can call for fire?

1 hour ago, Hedgehog said:

Huh, Ok.

Further investigation has occurred.

I will need to test this theory first

Looks like it maybe a specific vehicle the RED AI doesn't like to engage with indirect.

The Sho't Kal.

I doubt very much that the AI would fire at one vehicle type and not another?

If in the Mission Editor can you run the mission once with Sho’t Kal, then change the unit type and re-run (same path, settings, etc.) and see what happens?

If the AI doesn’t fire at the Sho’t Kal, then it shouldn’t fire and the new unit type either.

6 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

As far as I know, the AI won't call artillery on single contacts, it has to be at least a section. Perhaps that was what was happening?

Think this was the Issue.

On 2/16/2020 at 1:01 AM, Jartsev said:

AI is the same for all parties, and  arty obeys very same rules disregarding of the party it belongs, be it blue, red, green etc. So first of all- are you sure that target was not engaged by arty? Fire missions requested  by AI and executed by on-map arty are not shown on the map, but this doesn't mean that  target was not engaged... Then the next question- can target be engaged at all? Is it within arty's reach? Is  it outside of minimal range of fire(because  currently in-game arty cannot engage targets in  direct fire mode)? What about terrain, may  be there are some hills, which are preventing target from being engaged?  And most trivial thing- is AI allowed to  call for fire, and if 'yes', then what units  can call for fire?

Targets can be engaged by a human FO, On map Arty can bombard the Targets OK.

All units can call for fire, and AI Call for Fire are on.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:29 AM, Gibsonm said:

Why waste a fire mission on a single vehicle?

In short,

It was an experiment.

3 to 4 "platoons" of a single vehicle each, intended for each vehicle to have a player controlling it.

So

1st platoon = T11 vehicle

2nd platoon = T11A vehicle

3rd Platoon = T11B vehicle

etc

The idea being that you couldn't link them together, as you could in a normal platoon and rely on the SB AI formation control.

It is intended to focus attention to troop level manouvers, command & control.

And I wanted the artillery to bombard them so you'd get the hint of "don't stay in one place too long."