Version 2.370 - multiple install Q

daskal

I just recently installed version 2.370 to my older laptop (because this was the version this laptop could handle fine) - and I'm kinda blown away and having a blast since then... I'm pretty much sure it's mainly due to nostalgia on my part because I have spent most of my time with this and earlier versions - especially online (SB Generals..). This is pretty much when the modding community was at its peak - so I'm kinda reliving stuff with mods and skins from RougeSnake, CZ Studios, Scorpius, Viper, Captain Colossus etc. Fire & Smoke mod from Chance... Sky texturers from Jaguar - remember that? : )

Anyways, here is the question I wanted to raise. I have 4.0 and 4.1 installed on my "normal" gaming desktop and they are working OK - if I would install 2.370 as well (different folder) am I running into an risk of braking the other versions? (terrain, hgt files etc) - I understand I'll have to swap the mod files/folder manually, but other than that are any other files in danger of being overwritten?

Thanks,

1.jpg

Edited by daskal

I have numerous versions installed (both Pro and Pro PE) on the one machine.

Things seem to be OK, apart from editing / creating product, making sure you edit / create maps / scenarios in the version that can be opened by the copy you want to run it in, e.g do not edit a scenario is 4.162 and expect to be able to open it in 2.370 [or indeed anything earlier than 4.162].

1 hour ago, daskal said:

Anyways, here is the question I wanted to raise. I have 4.0 and 4.1 installed on my "normal" gaming desktop and they are working OK - if I would install 2.370 as well (different folder) am I running into an risk of braking the other versions? (terrain, hgt files etc) - I understand I'll have to swap the mod files/folder manually, but other than that are any other files in danger of being overwritten?

Sure contents of  \ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts will be  overwritten by v.2.370-  some stock  scenarios including tutorials,  legacy maps etc. Also, if you are going to back-up this folder,  v2.370 may be not  compatible with scenarios and maps for 4.0. and quite obvious that there is no any compatibility with 4.1. Additionally,  very likely, you may run in to all sorts of issues  with mods because of  artwork changes implemented  in later versions(and this may affect all installed versions, if you are going to use  mods  made  for  2.370)

• Members

If you leave out version 4.0 and use 2.370 and 4.162 only, at least the map data should no longer conflict as 4.1 uses map packages while 2.3 uses the classic HGT and TER files.

Mods won't work properly.

Scenarios are probably hit/miss. I would install SB Pro PE 4.1 first, then go in to C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\sce\ and rename the subdirectories to "4-1_[old name]" with the exception of z_reserved. Likewise, maybe add a 4-1 directory in "my scenarios" and push all the new scenarios there. Then install SB Pro PE 2.37, and all the new files in C:\ProgramData... belong to 2.370. Now, you could repeat the trick and rename all the folders than don't start with a 4-1_ prefix (except z_reserved) to give them a 2-3_ prefix. That way you can later see from the file path whether a certain scenario belongs to 4.1 or 2.3

z_reserved is a special case since it contains tutorial files and similar stuff. For all the old vehicles the old tutorials are probably just fine, all the new stuff wouldn't work in 2.3 anyway. But they may still be shown as available, so be prepared for disappointment in some cases. There isn't really much that could be done here unless you systematically test every file and rename them accordingly.